Shimano 6500B

jim1563

I still got 3 of them i use them when my dad goes fishing with me. I myself am now a multiplier man. If you get one of those accurate bx500 (yes much more expensive) it will outpreform the 6500b. But only needed in Bungsamran, no where else do you need that kind of power.

• 2 weeks later...

For a rod try pro-kik. He has a web site in Thai and the bass pro shop about 50 m up soi 42 from bung San ran. His custom rods are very good but he also sells some lower quality too. I got my snakehead rods built by him. Worth phoning before you go as shop is not always open.

...no where else do you need that kind of power.

What about Gnao nam? huh.png

Gnao nam has no pier the fish can dive under. It has a lot less sangs then BSR. I personally think a 6500 could handle it great htere. I fish there now with my accurate's and jigging master reels but im not sure you need the same power there as in BSR.

Just think you can give the fish a lot more line in shadow and you dont have to worry too much about bothering others.

...no where else do you need that kind of power.

What about Gnao nam? huh.png

Gnao nam has no pier the fish can dive under. It has a lot less sangs then BSR. I personally think a 6500 could handle it great htere. I fish there now with my accurate's and jigging master reels but im not sure you need the same power there as in BSR.

Just think you can give the fish a lot more line in shadow and you dont have to worry too much about bothering others.

Yes can't go under your feet like Bung samran so I see your point. They can dash in under the pier in the middle but often you will be fishing away from that.

Gnao nam is definately much more open and you are usually fine letting the fish run. The big fish will actually dive between roots and branches of trees on the far bank if they are strong enough.

Its been said i,m guilty of taking rob to the dark side, So many have tried casting multipliers and gave up after a short while, But after very little instruction and robs full concentration he too was addicted to the smell of burning thumb, Could see he was,nt going to give up...his bait runners seem to have gone into semi retirement,

At the moment i,m getting frustrated trying to master the art of skip casting lures with baitcasters...anyone got that down 100% yet?

Its been said i,m guilty of taking rob to the dark side, So many have tried casting multipliers and gave up after a short while, But after very little instruction and robs full concentration he too was addicted to the smell of burning thumb, Could see he was,nt going to give up...his bait runners seem to have gone into semi retirement,

At the moment i,m getting frustrated trying to master the art of skip casting lures with baitcasters...anyone got that down 100% yet?

Excellent. Good riddance to those egg beaters I always say, haha. clap2.gif

ok ok if it's a stella, saragosa or saltiga I can understand. smile.png

I like them both now but power wise and drag wise nothing beats a multiplier. Other then that ease of casting goes to the spinning stuff.

I like them both now but power wise and drag wise nothing beats a multiplier. Other then that ease of casting goes to the spinning stuff.

I like only the multipliers. Wont use spinners. The stella has 55lbs of drag, saragosa 44lbs and the biggest saltiga 66lbs.

I like the way multipliers fish and I like to take apart, modify and tune my reels. Thats much easier to do than with spinners.

I have a patchy history with multipliers and casting. Bird's nests like you wouldn't believe. Totally ruins a day out. I know they are good, all my friends use them, just dont want to sacrifice precious, rare fishing time unpicking line on the bank!

I have a patchy history with multipliers and casting. Bird's nests like you wouldn't believe. Totally ruins a day out. I know they are good, all my friends use them, just dont want to sacrifice precious, rare fishing time unpicking line on the bank!

We all start off like that dude. Get lots of practice, mag your reels if you need to or use the strongest brakes to start with (if they are included). You know it is impossible to bird nest if you thumb the spool the whole cast but very very lightly of course. At the start I nearly chucked them in many many times. The knowledge on how to use them properly just wasnt easily at hand. In Phuket nobody practiced in using these reels was an English speaker. So glad I stuck with them now though but I've been through the hundreds of yards of line in the learning experience. biggrin.png

We all start off like that dude. Get lots of practice, mag your reels if you need to or use the strongest brakes to start with (if they are included). You know it is impossible to bird nest if you thumb the spool the whole cast but very very lightly of course. At the start I nearly chucked them in many many times. The knowledge on how to use them properly just wasnt easily at hand. In Phuket nobody practiced in using these reels was an English speaker. So glad I stuck with them now though but I've been through the hundreds of yards of line in the learning experience. biggrin.png

Same here it took me 3 whole days in BSR to get the hang of it. It did ruin my days but i was not about to give up. I still get them now and again. But they are easy to solve.

However if i try to cast my jigging master its a lot harder or if i try it with my AVET and mono its harder too. My 2 accurate's are the best i have ever had. I am still real happy i started with them.

Casting with spinning is easier but playing and controlling fish with mutipliers is much better. The drags are stronger and smoother.

Same here it took me 3 whole days in BSR to get the hang of it. It did ruin my days but i was not about to give up. I still get them now and again. But they are easy to solve.

However if i try to cast my jigging master its a lot harder or if i try it with my AVET and mono its harder too. My 2 accurate's are the best i have ever had. I am still real happy i started with them.

Casting with spinning is easier but playing and controlling fish with mutipliers is much better. The drags are stronger and smoother.

Totally agree and no more line twist. clap2.gif

The JM's have awesome freespool. I've thrown mine a few time. If I take my tumb off the side of the spool post cast I start to see the line lifting. These reels are fast! Awesome bearings.

Totally agree and no more line twist. clap2.gif

The JM's have awesome freespool. I've thrown mine a few time. If I take my tumb off the side of the spool post cast I start to see the line lifting. These reels are fast! Awesome bearings.

IF we ever meet i let you try my JM. I think its crap.. it looks great.. handles the fish great but casting.. nope.

IF we ever meet i let you try my JM. I think its crap.. it looks great.. handles the fish great but casting.. nope.

Has your Accurate got cast control? Any idea if that's magnetic, centrifugal or just a friction brake if it has?

I think my Maxel is just like your JM. No brakes. I have to thumb it. It flies! JM's are nice but yes the difficult end of the casting spectrum.

>>>Cast<<<

Hi, both my accurates have cast control. I try to ease that off as much as i can of course. I am getting my avet magged (bought the avvet with the idea to have a long distance caster at a low price for sawai and small bug at shadow.

I never got far casting my JM but a friend of mine did he actually can cast it better as me. It might be that i am just lazy to learn. But i use the JM a lot with my bait boat. The accurate i use a lot casting at BSR. The AVET is a total disaster at the moment im waiting for a friend to mag it.

But all these have better drag control then the shimano 6500. I still love my shimano and for casting out the massage bread far its a pefect tool

I,m the friend rob speaks of, I picked up robs JM pe5 and managed to cast it without problems and i think with practise could get a lot further but before this i had used a borrowed JM pe4 for an hour without problems,

The accurates have a friction cast control which i would,nt normaly agree with because friction will be the same through the cast curve and sucking power out the cast rather than controling it...somehow accurate made it work but i never took mine apart to investigate how,

I fear magging either accurate or JM reels is a no go as they both have dual drag...ie the spool has drag plates both sides of the spool much like a disc brake and caliper on a car and that would cancel out the eddy fields created by the alu spool spinning in close quarters with the magnets,

i had lots of success magging various reels for myself and others, avet sx, shimano jigger, shimano trinidad, abu 7000 and a few penn 209s...some were real beasts until magged,

On a side note i have tried 2 of the latest shimano baitcatsers with digital cast control and would never have believed the claims of no thumb input needed intill i tried...even as the lure hit the water or the ground there was almost no over run with zero thumb + the dc makes a super cool sound as it kicks inlicklips.gif Even giving it full wang into a strong wind expecting a professional blow up nothing happened...the only hard part was keeping my thumb away from the spool,

Maybe thats the future of all casting reels.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I,m the friend rob speaks of, I picked up robs JM pe5 and managed to cast it without problems and i think with practise could get a lot further but before this i had used a borrowed JM pe4 for an hour without problems,

The accurates have a friction cast control which i would,nt normaly agree with because friction will be the same through the cast curve and sucking power out the cast rather than controling it...somehow accurate made it work but i never took mine apart to investigate how,

I fear magging either accurate or JM reels is a no go as they both have dual drag...ie the spool has drag plates both sides of the spool much like a disc brake and caliper on a car and that would cancel out the eddy fields created by the alu spool spinning in close quarters with the magnets,

i had lots of success magging various reels for myself and others, avet sx, shimano jigger, shimano trinidad, abu 7000 and a few penn 209s...some were real beasts until magged,

On a side note i have tried 2 of the latest shimano baitcatsers with digital cast control and would never have believed the claims of no thumb input needed intill i tried...even as the lure hit the water or the ground there was almost no over run with zero thumb + the dc makes a super cool sound as it kicks inlicklips.gif Even giving it full wang into a strong wind expecting a professional blow up nothing happened...the only hard part was keeping my thumb away from the spool,

Maybe thats the future of all casting reels.

Casting the reel on it's side often causes a bit of rubbing. The bearings touching the side of the spool or the lip of the spool touching the side of the frame. You can usually hear it a bit. So it acts to slow the reel like a brake.

I can cast all of my reels unmagged but decided to mag my Avet as well. It's far easier. If a reel isnt magged you can't ever really take your thumb off it. The line starts to lift right away. You hear it starting to tangle.

I have a friend from South Africa. His Trinidad has the digital cast control. I believe it's working like inductance with an electromagnet and incredibly fast thanks to a chip. Seems a smarter idea.

Thailand seems to be the only country where traditionally 'jigging' class reels like the Accurates, JMs, Ocea jiggers etc ever get used for casting. thanks to the massive freshwater fish. I had so much fun (Not!) when I bought a big boat reel with no brakes at all.

What kinds of rods are you guys using with your multipliers by the way?

Acuurate bx500 on Fc monsters ozone, Shimano jigger 4000 2speed on loomis GT1 both spooled with 80lb power pro, Avet sx on G craft super short rodders spooled with 40lb mono.

I have FC monster ozone's too. Got them in the hope of one day jigging for blue fin tuna. I was on braid too but it tends to drift a lot in the wind so switching to 70lb mono. May run 100 or 200 yards mono with braid underneath? Got 80lb and 100lb Berkley whiplash.