Please Help! Sony Vaio Laptop Died And Won'T Start Again

ThaiBound81

Hi All,

I'm looking to those who are far more knowledgeable than me to help diagnose what may be wrong with my Vaio laptop. Last night it was plugged in charging and streaming a video when all of a sudden it turned off without any warning whatsoever. Everything went off immediately. I made several attempts to power it on last night and this morning with no luck. No lights blink, and no sign of life at all. The AC Adaptor was plugged into a Belkin surge protector and none of the lights at my place flickered so I think I can rule out a power surge.

For what it's worth the model number is VGN-FZ340E and I purchased it new about 5 years ago. It has run really great up until this point, but it did do this same thing about 1 month ago but I was able to restart it immediately after. For a good while now I've noticed that it does get pretty hot when it runs, and that the air port pumped out pretty hot air but I figured that was normal.

I've tried removing the battery and only using the power cord, tried using another Vaio battery I have, etc. and nothing works.

I would be very grateful if you could please share what you think the issue may be and if you know of any reliable shops or service centers I could take it to in Bangkok which will not charge an absolute fortune and try to rip me off. I can't thank you enough!

Apparently the laptop have no power and ran out if battery. First of all check the power adaptor, if you don't have something to check with go to the nearest computer shop and ask them to check it. If that is OK it is something broken in your laptop thats need to be taken care of.

Hi....can be a result of overheating....it very important to have good ventilation...........but i maight be some other reasons as well but many ppl use laptops in wifi areas whitout suitable temperatures like outside for ex.

Thanks everyone! I took it to the service center on New Petchburi Road today, and the man I spoke with said it could be the motherboard but he's not sure. It's being shipped somewhere else in town I believe and they'll call me on Wednesday. He quoted 10,000 for a new motherboard.

If that turns out to be the problem I really don't know if it's worth paying to fix it, if it's possible to get it done cheaper in a place like Panthip Plaza, or if it would be better long term for me to purchase a new laptop. I really don't want to be in the market for a new one obviously, but if that's the best option for long term use then I'd consider it.

If anyone familiar with these types of issues would like to comment that would really great so I can better understand what I'm up against here.

Never had a Sony and do not have any idea of purchase price but five years is getting a little long in the tooth for computers so may be a reason for a new model. But if they did not take apart at all it may just be clogged with dust and fan stopped working? Best to wait for the estimate.

If that turns out to be the problem I really don't know if it's worth paying to fix it, if it's possible to get it done cheaper in a place like Panthip Plaza, or if it would be better long term for me to purchase a new laptop.

I wouldnt even think about changing the motherboard on a much newer laptop. If it isnt a simple cheap problem (and I suspect that it isnt) then I would just buy a new laptop rather than mess about with a 5-year old one.

Wait for the quote first, of course.

I guess overheating could have caused it to shut down initially. But assuming no damage was done, after cooling off it should have at least started again and at least run for a few minutes if it was just a heating issue.

I was going to recommend removing the battery and running it soley off the power adapter because when a battery fails it can prevent the computer from even turning on, but remove the battery and run on the power adapter only and it starts up. This happened to my Toshiba laptop once; after I got a new battery the laptop was happy again.

The way you describe the failure it sure sounds like it could be the motherboard. If the motherboard is the problem and unless it's cheap to replace/repair (some laptops are and some ain't), I don't think I would get it repaired. Just buy a new laptop.

If it was the mother board you would still get the power lights come on and maybe 1 beep. Did you try removing the battery then putting it back in? I say this because exactly the same thing happened to my Dads HP laptop.

Edited by waza

I have tried taking the battery out and only using the power cord but that did not work. I also tried using an extra Vaio battery but that also did not work. Although that battery is not charged, lights should have started blinking showing it was charging.

The man at Sony Service Center plugged a power cord into it and still nothing (no lights, beeps, etc.). Very sad!

I am anxiously awaiting their phone call on Wednesday. I am more than interested in any future replies in this thread. Thank you!

Just put it away for two years then fire it up!!! I know;...stupid;. but that is exactly what happened with my 6 year old VIAO laptop.

Just like yours, it just suddenly went stone dead; no nothing. Took it to repair and was told new motherboard, power supply ect. , wasn't worth the B4000++ estimate to fix. I put it on a shelf and there it stayed for 2 years. Six months ago, my GF's niece asked if she could play with it: plugged it in and "TAA-DAA!!!"; the damm thing started right up. I ended up giving it to her and she's still using it daily. Go figure.

Actually, I've wondered if there is a bug in the power switch itself, your similar experience with a Viao makes me wonder more. Maybe an intermittent problem impossible to predict or duplicate in a shop.

Edited by dddave

Could be. About a half dozen years ago my organiation had around 10 IBM laptops mixed in with other brands. Anyway several of those IBMs developed problems when they could not be turned on...press the Power On/Off button all day and it didn't make a difference. And the [problem would just appear out of the blue. There indeed was a problem with the switch which IBM sent out a notice on and repaired free when/if they broke.