Airline Information And Flight Deals For Expats

craigt3365

Lots of business class availability on Gulf Air BKK>LHR>BKK from September onwards for under GBP1100, sometimes barely over GBP1000. Some availability before then.

Total flight time quite short, if you pick the right days.

Seems like a bargain to me. If I could book for next year I would.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked on the British Airways site this last week and saw something I had not seen before so just for everyone to be aware. The lowest price now shown is for CARRY ON luggage only, its about a 10% reduction on normal fare which includes 23kg in the hold so just have a look at what you signing up for or there might be a surprise at the airport waiting for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, nong38 said:

The lowest price now shown is for CARRY ON luggage only

A nearly unavoidable step to keep up with the original low cost carriers to "look better" on the search engines. Luring customers into the trap.

Worst case: you overlook the "no baggage" and pay terrible at the check-in.

And? Do you have to bring your own sandwich too?

The hardcore LCCs offer "no baggage", "no food/drink", pay for payment etc.pp.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Oman airways currently offering Business Class return fare BKK-LHR for 56k Baht in the new 787. 

turkish are coming in about the same out April 29TH 2019 return sept 4th 2019

For the same dates Oman are coming in at about double the price, Finn ar are the next cheapest at 80,000 baht

Edited by steve187

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

turkish are coming in about the same out April 29TH 2019 return sept 4th 2019

For the same dates Oman are coming in at about double the price, Finn ar are the next cheapest at 80,000 baht

Yes, Finnair were 78k bht last week and i was going to buy, but decided to hang off and look around. Finnair tickets were variable older aircraft combos for the price.

I will keep my eye on Turkish as my wife and i want to visit Istanbul anyway. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Finnair has a sale on for the next three days: https://www.finnair.com/th/gb/black-Friday

Some pretty good prices in business to some European destinations like Amsterdam (51,500B) but somewhat less interesting to places like London (72,000B). Also economy class offers.

In business Finnair luggage allowance is three pieces at 23kg each, which is the most generous I know of.

About the only downside of Finnair, as mentioned above, is that on some of the European sectors you may get a crappy old Airbus with economy seats dressed up as business class, so check the schedule carefully before booking. Apart from that my trip with them a couple of years ago was fine.

Conditions:

Sales period

Until 26 November 2018.

Travel period

06 May – 24 September 2019. Return by 30 September 2019.

Minimum stay

5 days or the night between Saturday and Sunday.

Maximum stay

1 months.

• 1 month later...

I need to go to the UK in the 3rd week of Feb and stay a couple of weeks. I want to travel business class (direct or 1 stop) but have seen a marked price increase over this time last year when I flew the route. This time last year average price was 80-90,000 baht.

If anyone sees/notices any OK rates/deals on business class BKK/LHR/BKK pls do let me know.

Cheers!

Edited by MRToMRT
typo

54 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I need to go to the UK in the 3rd week of Feb and stay a couple of weeks. I want to travel business class (direct or 1 stop) but have seen a marked price increase over this time last year when I flew the route. This time last year average price was 80-90,000 baht.

Jordanian currently 77,700B for your dates. Finnair 78,700B.

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

oman around 70,000

That's right. They dont appear in all search engines and I keep forgetting to check them separately. Bit silly of me really as I am flying with them later this year (57,000B in their sale).

Great info thanks - I had been interested in Finnair but its the 3 hour flight from Helsinki to LHR on a "regional" (lesser standards) flight that puts me off. Sort of spoils the end of the journey.

Oman looks good! Never flown them before, what are they comparable to ?

Cathay have some global specials on offer. Good for travel between now and 30th June, book and pay by 23rd Jan.

Just plugged in some early summer dates Bangkok to Manchester and got 27,515 r/t. That's about £675 at current roe.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:21 AM, MRToMRT said:

Great info thanks - I had been interested in Finnair but its the 3 hour flight from Helsinki to LHR on a "regional" (lesser standards) flight that puts me off. Sort of spoils the end of the journey.

Oman looks good! Never flown them before, what are they comparable to ?

At least one of the short sectors on Finnair should be on an A330, which is fine. It's true that the other short sector is likely to be on a smaller plane. It may be possible to find a schedule that gives the larger plane for both short sectors, depending on when you travel.

Oman in J class are generally considered comparable to the other big names in the area: Qatar, Etihad, Emirates. Their seats are considered to be particularly good, as is the main lounge at their hub, which you will probably spend an hour or two in. Their lounge in BKK is also considered to be good.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:31 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Just noticed that if you set your "Country/Region" to Thailand in the Skyscanner app you get way less search results than if your set it to United States. Irregardless what departure/arrival airport you search for.

Not sure why, but worth changing the settings. 

Thanks for this information.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 12:31 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Just noticed that if you set your "Country/Region" to Thailand in the Skyscanner app you get way less search results than if your set it to United States.

Indeed the number of search results vary on the settings.

Most likely to the selected currency?

I just did an example to Bangkok to Berlin and get exactly the opposite result.

178 results with US/USD (English)

205 results with TH/THB (English)

165(!) results with Germany/EUR (German language)

What I assume:

Depending on the settings different brokers/travel agencies are searched/on offer. So you get more or less offers on the same connection.

Complex.

But quite sure there won't be any connection missing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed the number of search results vary on the settings.

Most likely to the selected currency?

I just did an example to Bangkok to Berlin and get exactly the opposite result.

178 results with US/USD (English)

205 results with TH/THB (English)

165(!) results with Germany/EUR (German language)

What I assume:

Depending on the settings different brokers/travel agencies are searched/on offer. So you get more or less offers on the same connection.

Complex.

But quite sure there won't be any connection missing.

The plot thickens. I get the exact same number of search results with any combination of language and currency, but highest search result and lowest pricing with the Region set to US.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have not seen this before, thought it was amusing enough to share.  A surprise "grab bag" ticket offering on Momondo search.  "Major Airline".  You won't know which airline and the details until AFTER you buy the ticket, although obvious it's a Chinese carrier.  ????

image.png.0bbb20974f9c7ba861f8e7bae3cd6fcd.png

• 1 month later...

Excellent 2-4-1 First and Business deals from the UK with Lufthansa and SWISS.

The following offer is only available as a companion fare, i.e. 2 travellers (or multiples thereof).  The offer is also available from BHX, MAN and EDI, though you'll have to work out how to book them yourself.

I can vouch for SWISS business class as I picked up this deal last year at the fantastic price of less than £2,500.00 for two return (LHR - BKK) and have already booked up under this latest offer, again, at sub £2.5k.

What I like about SWISS is that it's just a short 1h 35m hop from LHR to ZRH and 10h 30m ZRH to BKK which provides enough time on the second leg for food and drink and as much sleep as you can handle.  Though, there are plenty of other destinations other than BKK.  

Ignore any message saying “The offer you have requested is not available. (95955)”

SWISS
Business - https://www.swiss.com/gb/en/Book/OfferBook/Group/w8a4
First - https://www.swiss.com/gb/en/Book/OfferBook/Group/Z9a4

Lufthansa
Business - https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/companion-business
First - https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/companion-first

All flights require a minimum stay of six days, including a weekend.  Maximum duration of stay is three months.  Travel period: 01-Jun-19 to 30-Mar-20 (China 10-Jun-19 to 14-Feb-20).  This offer is valid until May 19, 2019.

• 4 weeks later...

It might sound little bit random, but when I was planning my travel to the US at first I was looking for flight tickets and accommodation options on my phone and the prices got really high after a while, although the trip was only in a few months. Then it just happened that for other reasons I started using NordVPN and when I was sourcing as my location would be the US, the prices got way cheaper. I don't know, maybe it's just a coincidence, but it's worth to try. Having VPN is useful anyways so you wouldn't buy it just for a one time use. 

Edited by alesandrtr114
forgot to mention
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 12:31 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Just noticed that if you set your "Country/Region" to Thailand in the Skyscanner app you get way less search results than if your set it to United States. Irregardless what departure/arrival airport you search for.

Not sure why, but worth changing the settings. 

You're right!  I used to use SkyScanner all the time when I lived in the States.  I travel all over the world regularly for my work but always would do all booking from the States.  So I had no idea of this limitation.  When I moved to Thailand I could't understand why it was no longer giving results that other sites were giving and just stopped using it.  Thanks for this tip.  It's now back to being my favorite booking app ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1