Tourist Visa Application - Australia

All,

After much debate, we have decided to apply for a tourist visa for the next 6 months to see if my girlfriend likes Australian life and if she likes living here. What we plan is for her to come here for about 2 weeks to see what it is like, then go home and come back a short time later (likely to be in 1-2 months and hopefully stay for 3-6 months). So ideally we are hoping for a multi entry.

We are just going through the application form for a Tourist Visa and were wondering what additional information should be provided to assist with the visa process.

We were thinking the following (based on what others have said on the forum - thanks for your posts!):

• Visa Application Form 48R
  • Invitation Letter from myself stating that i would like her to come, how we met, how long we have been together, that I am able to provide financial support and accommodation while she is here. Also in this statement I will state that I will purchase a return ticket for her and purchase travel insurance and ensure that she does not breach her visa conditions and I will ensure she departs as required by her visa conditions.
  • Statement from my girlfriend stating why she wants to come to Australia (the box on the application form is too small! Is it wise to state that she is considering moving here full-time or considering applying for a working holiday visa in the future or best leave this off at this point? This is her first application for Aus (we have been together 4 years...)
  • Copy of my employment contract
  • Photocopy of front page of my Australian passport.
  • Copy of girlfriends bank statement (it is showing about 230,000 baht)
  • Is it worth putting photos in a tourist visa application? It isn't a long visa and would her funds are probably sufficient for her to get a 6 month visa without me even being a sponsor?

At the end of the application form it states has anyone assisted you with this application? I have helped her but I haven't influenced or changed anything that she said. Is it better just to say she has filled this in herself (which she really has - i've just assisted).

Is there anything else that we should include to assist the process and to make it quicker? We are thinking of applying tomorrow and hopefully have her here in the next 7-10 days.

Thanks for your advise once again.

David

You seem to have all of the bases covered.

As it's her first visa to Oz, she MAY not get a multi entry. If not, she will have to apply again

and as you have stated that she would like to come back in a month or two, another visa

may not be granted so quickly. Just something to consider.

I wouldn't mention possibly applying for a working holiday visa. The statement from your girlfriend

doesn't have to be War & Peace. Just say that you've been together for 4 years and wish to show

her Australia,

Does she have a job? If so, a letter from her employer would be useful. Photo's would also be helpful

as it's best to put in as much as possible without going over-board.

You've answered the second last paragraph yourself when you say " i've just assisted".

Nothing to expediate the process. It's only about 7 to 10 days.

Good luck.

Regards

Will

Don't ever say she wants to come here full time. Big red flag. It's a tourist visa so she has to prove she's not going to overstay. Does she have land? family? job? to go back to? That's what they like to hear, a reason to go back to Thailand.

They are looking for following to approve the application:

1. Evidence of ongoing nature of relationship (Photos, phone bills, chat/skype history)

2. Availability of funds for support (your Stat Dec for support, your bank statement, your work contract, possibly last tax return and her bank statement).

3. Reason for going to Aus (a letter of invitation from you, also mention in the form that you have limited time to go to Thailand and she can visit you during her work holidays etc)

4. Reason for her not skipping visa i.e. guarantee that she will return to Thailand (letter from her work, her house book etc). This will be asked during her interview over the phone too.

You are trying to show that both of you have spent time together. So I would definitely include photos from different times. Also include other pages of your passport showing the trips you took in past 4 years. I also included copy of some phone bills showing the calls made to her, some records of chatting and skype history to show continuous communication.

Visa officer also wants to see the reason for her to come back to Thailand to avoid any issues with her skipping visa. So, include a letter from her employer.

Her bank statement may not be that important as you will support her (include that in the Stat Dec), but still include her bank statement and possibly her house registration document (Taa Bian book). Also include your bank statement showing enough funds. I also included a copy of my previous Tax Return. Get all your documents certified.

Do not mention anything about her plans to move to Aus permanently as it will negatively impact her application. They will ask this during a phone call too. If you want tourist visa, then make sure to explain that she is not planning to stay permanently in Aus.

Also include copy of her ID. It will be worth mentioning that she will also get a travel insurance.

Have a look at this website that provide detailed info for visa application as well as other things that you need to consider.

(Edit: link to commercial site removed; only sponsors may use the forums to advertise.)

We used it and got 1 year multiple entry visa.

All the best.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

They are looking for following to approve the application:

1. Evidence of ongoing nature of relationship (Photos, phone bills, chat/skype history)

2. Availability of funds for support (your Stat Dec for support, your bank statement, your work contract, possibly last tax return and her bank statement).

3. Reason for going to Aus (a letter of invitation from you, also mention in the form that you have limited time to go to Thailand and she can visit you during her work holidays etc)

4. Reason for her not skipping visa i.e. guarantee that she will return to Thailand (letter from her work, her house book etc). This will be asked during her interview over the phone too.

You are trying to show that both of you have spent time together. So I would definitely include photos from different times. Also include other pages of your passport showing the trips you took in past 4 years. I also included copy of some phone bills showing the calls made to her, some records of chatting and skype history to show continuous communication.

Visa officer also wants to see the reason for her to come back to Thailand to avoid any issues with her skipping visa. So, include a letter from her employer.

Her bank statement may not be that important as you will support her (include that in the Stat Dec), but still include her bank statement and possibly her house registration document (Taa Bian book). Also include your bank statement showing enough funds. I also included a copy of my previous Tax Return. Get all your documents certified.

Do not mention anything about her plans to move to Aus permanently as it will negatively impact her application. They will ask this during a phone call too. If you want tourist visa, then make sure to explain that she is not planning to stay permanently in Aus.

Also include copy of her ID. It will be worth mentioning that she will also get a travel insurance.

Have a look at this website that provide detailed info for visa application as well as other things that you need to consider.

(Edit: link to commercial site removed; only sponsors may use the forums to advertise.)

We used it and got 1 year multiple entry visa.

All the best.

Not quite right.....

You dont need to show a relationship for a tourist visa....merely that you physically know the person.

Immigration dont care what you have in the bank.....they want to see that you have income, it is only required if you are supporting the application financially, fill out the relevent question on the form regards additional funds provider and provide payslips, tax return.

Stat decs are not required for tourist visas.....letter of invite covering plans is sufficient, The department dont generally do interviews for a tourist visa unless they want to confirm or clarify.

Would suggest that you follow the Immigration website for advice and information and not some unregistered companies website.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

You dont need to show a relationship for a tourist visa....merely that you physically know the person.

Immigration dont care what you have in the bank.....they want to see that you have income, it is only required if you are supporting the application financially, fill out the relevent question on the form regards additional funds provider and provide payslips, tax return.

I must disagree with the advice is provided above.

I strongly advise you to show evidence of your relationship with your Beau at all levels.

We were slowed in our application until we both showed up at the Aussie Embassy with their request ... actually full transcripts of our sample emails.

They are interested in your financial capacity to support the application ... not your earning capacity in the future to provide this support i.e. , what money you have in the bank now ... not what you will earn in the future!

Payslips are not the way to go and a 'Tax Return' ... oh please no.

(I honestly believe that they would not easily comprehend an actual tax return due to a combination of the complexity of the returns layout, their limited English language and maybe there is no 'box' to tick for Farang Tax Return.)

A current Bank Statement with an easy to read (and healthy, I hope) balance.

Another tip which I read from contributors here and included in the application was a simple tourist itinerary ... it shows intent, if nothing else.

The most common reason that Visa's have been declined (judging by the posts here) is insufficient evidence of the applicants overwhelming need to return to Thailand.

Anything that ties her here to Thailand helps. If she has a 'regular' job then the letter from the employer authorising the leave and guaranteeing her job on return is a great start.

Last year, about this time, so the advice is current, my Beau and I applied for and got an Australian Tourist Visa, single entry, valid 3 months.

Apparently, once you have applied once, jumped through the hoops, left Australia on time as stated, the subsequent Visa process is much easier.

Sorry to disagree with ole' Mr Burns (Post #7), but my recent personal experience is different from what he advises you.

Edited by David48

I strongly advise you to show evidence of your relationship with your Beau at all levels.

We were slowed in our application until we both showed up at the Aussie Embassy with their request ... actually full transcripts of our sample emails.

They are interested in your financial capacity to support the application ... not your earning capacity in the future to provide this support i.e. , what money you have in the bank now ... not what you will earn in the future!

(I honestly believe that they would not easily comprehend an actual tax return due to a combination of the complexity of the returns layout, their limited English language and maybe there is no 'box' to tick for Farang Tax Return.)

Another tip which I read from contributors here and included in the application was a simple tourist itinerary ... it shows intent, if nothing else.

The most common reason that Visa's have been declined (judging by the posts here) is insufficient evidence of the applicants overwhelming need to return to Thailand.

Anything that ties her here to Thailand helps. If she has a 'regular' job then the letter from the employer authorising the leave and guaranteeing her job on return is a great start.

Last year, about this time, so the advice is current, my Beau and I applied for and got an Australian Tourist Visa, single entry, valid 3 months.

Apparently, once you have applied once, jumped through the hoops, left Australia on time as stated, the subsequent Visa process is much easier.

Sorry to disagree with ole' Mr Burns (Post #7), but my recent personal experience is different from what he advises you.

I repeat you merely need to show that you actually know the person.....there is no need to show relationship status for a tourist visa......in fact doing so may raise concerns of reason to return, a person in a relationship maybe considered to be less likely to return then say a friend.

Payslips and tax return notice, you know the one you get when you get your tax back are preferable, as I said they dont care what you have in the bank as you may have loaded the account for the application....they consider the fact that you are ongoing employed at a certain level of income sufficient to support the applicant as an additional funds provider.

So you got your wife one 3 month visa and you are an expert on visa issues.....congratulations, I have only been involved with visas for about the last 7 years or so

I repeat you merely need to show that you actually know the person.....there is no need to show relationship status for a tourist visa......in fact doing so may raise concerns of reason to return, a person in a relationship maybe considered to be less likely to return then say a friend.

Payslips and tax return notice, you know the one you get when you get your tax back are preferable, as I said they dont care what you have in the bank as you may have loaded the account for the application....they consider the fact that you are ongoing employed at a certain level of income sufficient to support the applicant as an additional funds provider.

So you got your wife one 3 month visa and you are an expert on visa issues.....congratulations, I have only been involved with visas for about the last 7 years or so

gb

Since when when did he purport to be an expert?

Just because he disagrees with you it doesn't mean he is wrong. In fact a lot of what he says is correct.

You said "I repeat you merely need to show that you actually know the person.....there is no need to show relationship status for a tourist visa......in fact doing so may raise concerns of reason to return, a person in a relationship maybe considered to be less likely to return then say a friend."

DIAC actually ask what the applicants relationship is to the person financing the visit. And lets face it, the vast majority of the tourist visa

applications between men and women are girlfriend/boyfriend not friend/friend so it makes sense to explain your relationship with documentation.

Again to quote "Payslips and tax return notice, you know the one you get when you get your tax back are preferable, as I said they dont care what you have in the bank as you may have loaded the account for the application....they consider the fact that you are ongoing employed at a certain level of income sufficient to support the applicant as an additional funds provider.

I'd like to know how you know what DIAC prefer? They ask to show that you have the necessary funds and actually ask for personal bank statements along with payslips etc.

For some who has proclaimed that they have been involved in visa's for 7 years, you actually told an OP last week that they couldn't send and receive their application by

registered mail which is incorrect.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

[

gb

Since when when did he purport to be an expert?

Just because he disagrees with you it doesn't mean he is wrong. In fact a lot of what he says is correct.

You said "I repeat you merely need to show that you actually know the person.....there is no need to show relationship status for a tourist visa......in fact doing so may raise concerns of reason to return, a person in a relationship maybe considered to be less likely to return then say a friend."

DIAC actually ask what the applicants relationship is to the person financing the visit. And lets face it, the vast majority of the tourist visa

applications between men and women are girlfriend/boyfriend not friend/friend so it makes sense to explain your relationship with documentation.

Again to quote "Payslips and tax return notice, you know the one you get when you get your tax back are preferable, as I said they dont care what you have in the bank as you may have loaded the account for the application....they consider the fact that you are ongoing employed at a certain level of income sufficient to support the applicant as an additional funds provider.

I'd like to know how you know what DIAC prefer? They ask to show that you have the necessary funds and actually ask for personal bank statements along with payslips etc.

For some who has proclaimed that they have been involved in visa's for 7 years, you actually told an OP last week that they couldn't send and receive their application by

registered mail which is incorrect.

Regards

Will

The questions ask relationship to you.....again you do not need to declare a relationship other than a friend for a tourist visa......If a person wants to declare a personal relationship that is upto them....However DIAC are aware that people in a relationship are more prone to overstay than say a friend. I am not saying that you cant declare it.....just that you dont need to for the purpose of that application.

How do I know what DIAC prefer for evidence of funds.......Gee mate...I asked them. They dont ask for personal bank statements.....they suggest them as an example along with payslips and tax records etc...However I was told by DIAC that bank statements on their own dont hold as much weight as payslips and tax return statements for the reason I stated.

Yes I said no to that point.....my opinion is that it is not an option....if people want to send important documents with all sorts of personal information around a land based mail system then that is up to them.....but having sent registered mail items to Thailand previously and having them lost in the system, never to be recovered makes me wary of using it. The mail system in Thailand while much improved is still less than reliable, and in these days where identity theft is major, why would one do it.

He can disagree all he wants....upto him.....But to give advice based purely on one personal visa application ???

BTW what are your credentials Will?

Edited by gburns57au

I have applied for 3 tourist visas for my Gf, We have always put a very detailed folder together, lots of photos , bank , phone , email records . Letter of introduction and always say I assist with application.

All the visas were processed between 3 and 4 days, however no matter what we applied for we only got a single entry 3 month visa , The first application was only for a 3 month visa , so no problems there, the second application was for a multi entry, only got 3 month . the last application was for a single entry six months visa with a detailed letter explaining the need to travel to 3 states spread over my work comittments., still only three months given, howver this time my GF got a call from a thai lady ( first time ever ) saying that they were only giving her a three month visa and it would be her last tourist visa. If she wished to travel to Australia again, " Get your boyfriend to apply for permanent visa " end quote. However no mention of this when she picked up the paperwork, Any one else had this happen ? could it just be a sour employee hassling her ?

We wanted a longer visa so she could be sure she was happy to live here, not to mention the ongoing costs of airfares and applications

I have applied for 3 tourist visas for my Gf, We have always put a very detailed folder together, lots of photos , bank , phone , email records . Letter of introduction and always say I assist with application.

Hi Wazzi, your recent experience could be valuable to all of us who are in a similiar situation.

Can I ask where you lodged your Visa applications?

When you submit the application, do you go in person, mail or courier?

Do you show supporting evidence of your personal relationship together ... or just a letter of support?

Bank statements or payslips/tax returns?

If you have questioned the 'only 3 month Visa granted' ... how was the request/complaint handled? I would just like to know what I'm up against if, in the future we are refused or granted a lesser Visa then applied for.

Since you have applied for and received more then one Visa any tips which you think work would be appreciated.

Shame that 12 month multi has eluded you to date.

Thanks in advance for the reply ...

All the visas were processed between 3 and 4 days, however no matter what we applied for we only got a single entry 3 month visa , The first application was only for a 3 month visa , so no problems there, the second application was for a multi entry, only got 3 month . the last application was for a single entry six months visa with a detailed letter explaining the need to travel to 3 states spread over my work comittments., still only three months given, howver this time my GF got a call from a thai lady ( first time ever ) saying that they were only giving her a three month visa and it would be her last tourist visa. If she wished to travel to Australia again, " Get your boyfriend to apply for permanent visa " end quote. However no mention of this when she picked up the paperwork, Any one else had this happen ? could it just be a sour employee hassling her ?

We wanted a longer visa so she could be sure she was happy to live here, not to mention the ongoing costs of airfares and applications

No sour employee I am afraid......the Dept reserve the right to limit the amount of tourist visas granted to an individual...(usually 3 as they deem the person to no longer be a genuine tourist after that)...this is quite common and will be noted on file. Further visas may be granted if there are exceptional circumstances. eg; a friend was told this but had only just started a new relationship due to the original relationship breaking down meaning a spouse visa application would surely fail due to the relationship being new. She was granted one further 3 month visa and after successfully applied for the Prospective spouse visa.

It is interesting to note that the visa is for visiting FRIENDS and relatives, they seem to ignore the friend part of it and assume that everyone is in a relationship and are willing to get married or live de facto in Oz.

Edited by gburns57au

HI David 48

All applications were submitted in person to VFS at CC Towers in Bangkok.

THe application was in a 20 page binder with a title page listing what all pages contained , so that if anything was removed it would be obvious,

In order there was, The 48r form, a two page letter of introduction from me( different each time ) on my company letterhead, Copies of GF ID, Passport, House papers, Bank account, Copies of my phone bills showing calls to her number, copies of emails between us, several pages of photographs all showing location and date, copies of my financials and passport. the first application included a letter from her employer. she no longer works there and now runs hers and her families rubber and rice farms.

Permanent fiance visa was our next step anyway, but we wanted the longer visa to give her a good taste of living in AUs formore than 3 mnths, Plus Winter!, Just to be doubly sure before beginning the permanent process

Good luck

HI David 48

All applications were submitted in person to VFS at CC Towers in Bangkok.

THe application was in a 20 page binder with a title page listing what all pages contained , so that if anything was removed it would be obvious,

In order there was, The 48r form, a two page letter of introduction from me( different each time ) on my company letterhead, Copies of GF ID, Passport, House papers, Bank account, Copies of my phone bills showing calls to her number, copies of emails between us, several pages of photographs all showing location and date, copies of my financials and passport. the first application included a letter from her employer. she no longer works there and now runs hers and her families rubber and rice farms.

Permanent fiance visa was our next step anyway, but we wanted the longer visa to give her a good taste of living in AUs formore than 3 mnths, Plus Winter!, Just to be doubly sure before beginning the permanent process

Good luck

Wazzi

This subject has been discussed not so long ago (including posts by yourself): http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

From what you have previously posted, your girlfriend has applied for 3 tourist visa's in one year.

It is no wonder DIAC have said "no more" as she has probably spent more time in Australia than

in Thailand this past 12 months which hardly makes her a tourist.

Usually there is no problem with getting multiple tourist visa's as long as there is 'reasonable" amount of time between them

which in your case does not seem to be the case.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Hi will ,

She first came to Australia in Feb 2011 for three months, then three months in Thailand , three months in Australia then three months in Thailand. At the time of the third application in January 2012 she had spent 6 months of the past year in each country

Hi will ,

She first came to Australia in Feb 2011 for three months, then three months in Thailand , three months in Australia then three months in Thailand. At the time of the third application in January 2012 she had spent 6 months of the past year in each country

Hi wazzi

So I assume she's in Australia now.

If so, assuming she stays 3 months, she will have been in Australia for 9 months and Thailand for 6. Or am I missing something?

Even IF you don't take into account the latest stay, a 6 month stay in both countries, again hardly makes her a tourist. She's living

50/50 in each country.

So she has applied for 3 tourist visa's in approx 12 months. That's why she didn't get a longer visa on the 3rd application.

Either way, it's a no brainer for DIAC as she clearly isn't a tourist.

That's why she got told no further tourist visa's.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27