Hopefully A New Topic: Childish Abuse Or More Serious

MAJIC

When one is called a Buffalo (on more than one occasion),should it be taken serious? or a normal case of childish/adult abuse? or is this a blatant signal,there is no respect left,and now it's over?

Later apologies are not forthcoming!

Edited by MAJIC

I have been called kwai. However, I think it was deserved. I won't admit to that though.tongue.png

Is it any different then when I call my friend a twit when he does something assinine? It's all in the tone and subject to circumstances.

Well thanks for your reply,I have always been told Buffalo,even by Thais,is positively the worst name you can be called.a Twit is pretty mild in comparison,I would have thought?

I have been called kwai. However, I think it was deserved. I won't admit to that though.tongue.png

Is it any different then when I call my friend a twit when he does something assinine? It's all in the tone and subject to circumstances.

Well thanks for your reply,I have always been told Buffalo,even by Thais,is positively the worst name you can be called.a Twit is pretty mild in comparison,I would have thought?

Being called a lizard is worse.

If the OP is referring to a female companion that has repeated called him a kwai and is recalcitrant in their stance, then it might be a good idea to explore other options. Even if it was in jest.

If the OP is referring to a female companion that has repeated called him a kwai and is recalcitrant in their stance, then it might be a good idea to explore other options. Even if it was in jest.

I didn't know lizard was even worse Keyser,you never stop learning something new in Thailand eh?

Edited by MAJIC

Throw a tantrum about it and the obviously unjustified name calling should stop

you missed out.. ..

"throw a tantrum about it and go down the pub for a booze up"

At least then if the name calling does not stop, you have a dead easy way to get a green ticket for the night

"My fliend, I heard today she Cry".... you say "Kwai? Kw-bloody-ai? you calling me buffalo again? Right, I off to the pub"

• Like 1

I didn't know lizard was even worse Keyser,you never stop learning something new in Thailand eh?

From what I understand, being called the Thai name for a monitor lizard is the worst insult of them all.

• Like 1

Correct regarding the lizard. Not suggested to call someone heeah. Look at the bright side, your friend thinks you're one step above the bottom. Or, maybe they're just holding it in reserve for the big one.

Either way, unless it some sort of pillow talk, you're probably being dissed.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Not sure about that. I've a friend whose name is Kwai, albeit a nick name but even his parents call him Kwai.

hi, in some instances farrang confuses kwai with koi. i hear students call each other kwai all the time, but it is only in jest if they get a wrong answer. koi (dont know if spelt correctly) means they are calling you a 'dick' which is much worse. are you sure it was kwai ? wai.gif

hi, in some instances farrang confuses kwai with koi. i hear students call each other kwai all the time, but it is only in jest if they get a wrong answer. koi (dont know if spelt correctly) means they are calling you a 'dick' which is much worse. are you sure it was kwai ? wai.gif

That would be k[g]uay. Not pronouced lazily - but with a quickened emphasis.

coffee1.gif My Thai wife regularly refers to me as "Buffalo". I refer to her as "Crazy Old Bat".

After 30 years of being together those are just our normal terms.

Anyhow, I pay no attention to her calling me Buffalo.

Either I did do something stupid...and it is my fault...so she's right.

Or I didn't do something stupid...and she's wrong.

Either way I learn something from the experience.

Anyhow, at 66 years old, I don't much concern myself with the opinions of others about me.

I figure I've probably only got 10 to 15 years left anyhow, and therefore I don't have the time to worry about what others think of me.

Now that I'm retired I've got more important things to do in MY life than worry about their opinions of me.

licklips.gif

• Like 2

Mang Ba and Ee-heeah are far worse. Wait till she calls you that.

Or tells you to si hua bpai. Although one person told me this is nothing, but she may have been winding me up.

Edited by arthurwait

Surely the answer is to call her a buffalo (in similar circumstances), and see how she reacts?

If she gets angry and insulted you know she did not intend it as a term of endearment. If, on the other hand, she has no problem with being called a buffalo - it is reasonable to assume that she did not intend to insult you.

• Like 1

Mang Ba and Ee-heeah are far worse. Wait till she calls you that.

Or tells you to si hua bpai. Although one person told me this is nothing, but she may have been winding me up.

These threads are incredibly dangerous. I like to try out the words and expressions I learn here.

Hence, the then getting called a kwai.

Oh dear. So all those times I thought my TGF was complimenting me, she was actually calling me a big buffalo?

Has she by chance been calling you Dah Ling too? wink.png

Surely the answer is to call her a buffalo (in similar circumstances), and see how she reacts?

If she gets angry and insulted you know she did not intend it as a term of endearment. If, on the other hand, she has no problem with being called a buffalo - it is reasonable to assume that she did not intend to insult you.

Just be sure to remove all sharp objects from her reach and anything else she can throw at you.

Yea i'm definately sure it was "Buffalo" (Kwai) but i'm cheering up quite considerably,from all of your comments,I have got to go someway before I hit rock bottom of choice Farang insults,in fact "Buffalo" could almost be a term of endearment,and perhaps I was being a bit ultra sensitive,as in thin skinned Lizard,which has yet to assault my virgin ears.

Actually I have a lot of respect for Buffalos,they mooch about all day,making boring rice fields look sort of picturesque,while quietly munching away on stale dried up rice stalks,minding their own docile business,come to think of it they never raise their voice in anger,and are quite contented animals,albeit a trifle boring as conversationalists out in the boonies,but you can't expect everything,can you?

Could be worse being called a Buffalo!coffee1.gif

Completely depends on context, as with any insult.

A lot of things get said in the heat of the moment. Worse case context for Buffalo in Thailand i'd think would be if you overheard your wife calmly calling you this to someone else behind your back. That would be a problem; but if it's just something someone yelled in a heated argument then probably can be ignored.