Travelling To Myanmar

blossombkk

Hi to everybody,

I will be travelling to myanmar by air next monday for a visa run with my 2 duaghters 15 and 11 yr old. will be staying there for 8 days. I have already been there 2 years ago and went to inle lake. could you, anyone, suggest interesting places to see which are not too far from yangoon since my daughters didn't like the buses there. could be up to 8 hours drive by bus from yangoon, and could be leaving a few times from yangoon.

I would appreciate some enlightening.

thanks

Jump on a flight (Air Bagan or Mandalay by choice) up to Nyang-U and spend a couple of days at Bagan (one of the most amazing places in Asia). Mandalay ok for a day but no great shakes nowadays apart from the name.

Or go to the beach at Ngapali (fly Yangon - Thandwe) for an unspoilt great beach.

Travelling by road is long, uncomfortable and no fun with children.

Not the cheapest option but with 8 days a real shame not to experience more of Myanmar rather than the inside of a bus.

You can fix up the flights when you get to Yangon, just shop around or check out Thorn Tree or Tripadvisor forums on Yangon for latest info.

Funnily enough I am taking my children of similar age to Myanmar in a few weeks also, must be a half term thing!

Only a week so spending couple of days in Yangon, couple of days in Bagan (agree with earlier comments, fantastic place and this time might do the dawn hot air balloon trip, not cheap but once in a lifetime stuff). Amazing Hotel in Bagan is well located and priced. Last few days on the beach at Ngapali, strange to think it's a 450km straight shot almost due west from CM.

For a week's trip flying is essential and the domestic airlines have improved hugely since the genuinely terrifying flights with Burma Airways 30 years ago. Most Burmese recommend flying Air Mandalay or Air Bagan.

Great time to take your kids to see Myanmar as it looks like things will get pretty crazy on the tourist front if recent moves continue. Been there a fair few times since the early 80's, fantastic country, great people but run by total s**ts. They deserve so much better.

I'm also planning a similar trip at the end of February. Solo though. One thing I'm weary of is the money situation. I've read that you have to have crisp US$ (not the easiest thing to get in Thailand). Any fold/wrinkle and they'll reject it. And then there's the violently variable exchange rate for Myanmar currency. Can anyone give any advise or things I should be aware of re. currency before going. Can I bring Thai Baht or is it US or nothing? Also heard that my Visa and debit card will be useless. Or has this changed?

Thanks!

You can use a credit card only in a few top-notch hotels which process your transactions through their Singapore branches. Better to go with dollars. I have not had the problem you mentioned about crisp unfolded bills. I generally change money in Yangon at Bogyoke (Scott) Market where there are money chagers all over the place paying good rates. They count it out right in front of me, and they have never been fussy about the bills I give them. Some of them now have the counterfeit detector machines and can give bills a quick scan. That said, I usually try to bring decent quality bills with me. Just go to Bangkok Bank headquarters on Silom and tell them what you want. They are quite helpful in providing good quality bills.

I'm also planning a similar trip at the end of February. Solo though. One thing I'm weary of is the money situation. I've read that you have to have crisp US$ (not the easiest thing to get in Thailand). Any fold/wrinkle and they'll reject it. And then there's the violently variable exchange rate for Myanmar currency. Can anyone give any advise or things I should be aware of re. currency before going. Can I bring Thai Baht or is it US or nothing? Also heard that my Visa and debit card will be useless. Or has this changed?

Thanks!

You can now exchange right at the airport, same rates as in town. Baht will not get a good rate, clean dollars are best. I get mine at Bangkok bank branches.

Higher denomination US$ bills get a better exchange rate, even at the banks (that now give proper roe). Difference was 40 kyat between a $100 and a $20 (or below) - around a 5% difference in value.

Notes do need to be uncreased, unmarked and not serial numbers beginning ab or cb - they had some forged notes previously with these refs.

Banks at Yangon and Bagan airports give proper rates now.

• 3 weeks later...

Higher denomination US$ bills get a better exchange rate, even at the banks (that now give proper roe). Difference was 40 kyat between a $100 and a $20 (or below) - around a 5% difference in value.

Notes do need to be uncreased, unmarked and not serial numbers beginning ab or cb - they had some forged notes previously with these refs.

Banks at Yangon and Bagan airports give proper rates now.

What is the approximate rate USD->kyat at YGN airport or Scott market?