Sos Bangkok Travelling With Dog

hello all,

i am a french canadian photographer travelling through thailand with my little dog (a 4 pounds adorable maltese). i researched the situation before coming over and was told there would not be problems finding accomodations with my pet. less than 48 hours after my arrival, i have found differently. i had made a reservation at the atlanta hotel, specifying i had a dog and still there appeared to not be a problem. upon my arrival this past friday, i was told there was no reservation to my name and that furthermore, no dogs were allowed on the premises. they were kind enough to let me stay for 2 nights but i have now overstayed my welcome and my luggage is sitting at the hotel as i am typing this. i have searched all day yesterday and this morning for a pet-friendly hotel but found none.

if any of you has any suggestions, please contact me through the atlanta hotel (++66-2) 252- 6069 OR 252- 1650.

thank you kindly,

suzanne langevin

sorry for the multiple posting. i was in a bit of a crisis.... anyways, i ended up sneaking my dog in and out of the hotel and i guess that will be how things will work while in bangkok. not sure how long i will stay. i am starting to relax now that the initial shock of quarantine threat at the airport and un-pet friendly hotels in bangkok is over.

i will be spending 5 months in thailand so i do have the luxury of time, if no other, to relax and chill out. i guess i was not prepared for this hotel situation as i was told otherwise. apparently, things will be different outside of bangkok. i sure hope so.

great forum by the way, been reading it while getting organised for my trip.

regarding getting my dog through customs, i was actually shocked when told she would need to be quarantined. i had a letter from the embassy stating that dogs imported from canada into thailand did NOT go into quarantine. of course, i forgot this letter at home (!!!) and as i was having a fit, an interpreter was called in to settle this sensitive matter. i was under NO circumstances abandoning my dog to anyone for any quarantine. why it was even suggested is beyond me as everywhere i have researched this particular matter, all info says: no quarantine for dogs.

i had also inquired about travelling through thailand with a dog (lodging, public transports, restaurants etc....) and was told no problem. hum....

not sure how long we will stay in bangkok. im trying to ease into thai life as best i can, gather info about the adventure (im shooting my dogs adventures in thailand which at this point are more like my own misadventures) and go where the wind blows i guess, in a sensible sort of way :o

Please Post full details of all Hotels and Restaurants here which allow you to take your dog into their premises – I , and I am sure many others on this Board, would definitely like to know which establishments to avoid.

Patrick

P.S. – don’t go to a quaint up-country place called Sakorn Nakorn to record the Thai adventures of your "4 pounds adorable maltese" …… unless you brought a Stunt Dog with you.

P

• 2 weeks later...

Travel by train when you can. You can sleep with your dog or he can sleep on the floor. DOgs pay a fare of 80 baht I believe to Nongkhai.

In the north Aircon buses don't allow dogs so you'll have to sneak them on unless you want to put him in a plastic pet box. There's no problem on the ordinary fan buses though.

Please share the names of hotels and guesthouses, because almost all I've asked don't allow dogs. My wife has shown me pictures of a special dog hotel though with special restaurants and a swimming pool for dogs. Thais love dogs so there must be some way to do it. I'll have to poke around the Thai part of the internet a bit or ask at some of the pet shops here in Bangkok.

I have 8 Shih-tzu's and 1 German Shepherd who thinks he's a Shih-tzu in Chiangrai. I'm looking for a place to rent where on of them can stay with me in Bangkok.

hello again,

id love to post a long list of pet-friendly hotels in Bangkok but alas, i have given up the search as it always came up negative. although my little adorable pet gets lots of love and care from everyone she encounters, the same is not true from public officials. we have been asked to leave a park and a bus in recent days. i am not much more optimistic for elsewhere in thailand but i do have something up my sleeve. ill be sure to keep you posted on our progress.

thanks to those who demonstrated some empathy in their post. there is much to be said about a man or woman who treats animals with love and care as there is about the one who does not...

Dude,

I love dogs, but????????? Going on holiday for 5 months with one??

Up2U.

I've hauled my Golden Retreivers (in the back of the pickup truck) with me up to Korat & Surin from Pattaya several times, as well as took them to Ko Chang.

30 km south of Korat in Pak Thong Chai there is a quaint little hotel called the Pak Thong Chai Inn. They had no problems with me allowing my mutts into the room for the night.

I want to say it was the Sanom Prakong (or something close to sounding like that--Sakong Pranom maybe??) Beach resort on Ko Chang where they allowed my mutts to stay with me.

Best beach on Ko Chang though.

Love taking those lug-heads out there and swimming & playing ball with them. Oh yeah, my wife usually comes along as well!!

hello all,

i am a french canadian photographer travelling through thailand with my little dog (a 4 pounds adorable maltese). i researched the situation before coming over and was told there would not be problems finding accomodations with my pet. less than 48 hours after my arrival, i have found differently. i had made a reservation at the atlanta hotel, specifying i had a dog and still there appeared to not be a problem. upon my arrival this past friday, i was told there was no reservation to my name and that furthermore, no dogs were allowed on the premises. they were kind enough to let me stay for 2 nights but i have now overstayed my welcome and my luggage is sitting at the hotel as i am typing this. i have searched all day yesterday and this morning for a pet-friendly hotel but found none.

if any of you has any suggestions, please contact me through the atlanta hotel (++66-2) 252- 6069 OR 252- 1650.

thank you kindly,

suzanne langevin

You'll really have to keep a sharp eye on that little dog. Looks like he would be only a "light snack" for some of the loose soi dogs running around Bangkok or Pattaya.

Good luck.

hello again,

id love to post a long list of pet-friendly hotels in Bangkok but alas, i have given up the search as it always came up negative. although my little adorable pet gets lots of love and care from  everyone she encounters, the same is not true from public officials. we have been asked to leave a park and a bus in recent days. i am not much more optimistic for elsewhere in thailand but i do have something up my sleeve. ill be sure to keep you posted on our progress.

thanks to those who demonstrated some empathy in their post.  there is much to be said about  a man or woman who treats animals with love and care as there is about the one who does not...

As you are here for some time, you might try a short-term lease in a serviced apartment.Try the travel forum or goole for that, there are lots of them and a monthly lease likely less than a month in a hotel. Of course if you are traveling from city to city a lot this will be harder.

I don't blame you in the least for bringing your dog... 5 months is way too long to be away from a loved pet! I divide my time between Thailand (where I live) and Cambodia (where I work on shoprt-term assignments) and any trip of a week or more, I bring my cat along with me. In Cambodia I stay at a very nice serviced apartment that allows pets, stay at it specifically for that reason. (It's called Embassy Place, should you decide to visit Phnom Penh...about US $59 a night for a full apartment with separate living room, full kitchen, lovely garden and pool).

For that matter, when I need to go to Bkk for an overnight stay, I miss the cat and the cat is miserable being home alone...so if you do find any pet-accepting hotels please post them.

We had no problems what so ever bringing our dogs from the Netherlands to Thailand. The 'vet' at the airport just wanted to keep the rabies- and healthpapers and then waved us through! Nobody did mention quarantaine, but maybe they changed the rules since 2004? As to hotels in Bangkok ... we tried reservations in several hotels in Bangkok, but never found a hotel that allowed dogs!