Go Bar Khon Kaen

randysavage

Unfortunately, it appears you've attracted the ThaiVisa Forum knobends to respond to your post. Apart from a handful who have tried to be helpful, the rest could start a fight in a convent. Why people have to respond so unco-operatively is beyond me. If only we all could be as perfect as them eh? Shame there's not a sub-forum for expats with braincell deficiency issues then they could spend all their time there.

I think it was obvious from your initial post that you wanted information from people in the area before so you would not waste your time travelling to look at it if it wasn't worth it. A fair request!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry about its history and how it's performing (or not) currently, what you need to do is think how you would run it and what you could bring to a bar in the area in which it's located. Don't be concerned why it's up for sale now but be concerned about your 3-5 year plan for making it work, as long as the initial investment is no problem for you. You could have a profitable bar located in an outhouse in your garden if you promoted it correctly. Regardless of it's location in Khon Kaen if you were to run and promote a friendly, welcoming farang "watering hole" then farang's in the local area would hear about it and surely head that way when they wanted to go to town for a drink...(just fingers crossed the negative, miserable forumers above don't turn up because they'd only complain all night that your beer mats were the wrong shape or the stools were 0.3 cms too highpassifier.gif)

Wow. Now there is some business advice you shouldn't heed.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it appears you've attracted the ThaiVisa Forum knobends to respond to your post. Apart from a handful who have tried to be helpful, the rest could start a fight in a convent. Why people have to respond so unco-operatively is beyond me. If only we all could be as perfect as them eh? Shame there's not a sub-forum for expats with braincell deficiency issues then they could spend all their time there.

I think it was obvious from your initial post that you wanted information from people in the area before so you would not waste your time travelling to look at it if it wasn't worth it. A fair request!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry about its history and how it's performing (or not) currently, what you need to do is think how you would run it and what you could bring to a bar in the area in which it's located. Don't be concerned why it's up for sale now but be concerned about your 3-5 year plan for making it work, as long as the initial investment is no problem for you. You could have a profitable bar located in an outhouse in your garden if you promoted it correctly. Regardless of it's location in Khon Kaen if you were to run and promote a friendly, welcoming farang "watering hole" then farang's in the local area would hear about it and surely head that way when they wanted to go to town for a drink...(just fingers crossed the negative, miserable forumers above don't turn up because they'd only complain all night that your beer mats were the wrong shape or the stools were 0.3 cms too highpassifier.gif)

It sounds a little "tailored"...

Why's that? If Khon Kaen was a tourist area then what I said would be bad advice but it's not.

Location and history are not the most important decisive factors in a new business of this type and locale. Just because the previous owners didn't make it work have no bearing on what the next person can do with a venture as long as it's planned and thought out correctly. The advice wasn't meant to be definitive as I don't know that area and haven't seen the business and don't know all the details, but was meant to be a positive amongst all the negatives that had been thrown at the OP in earlier posts.

I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about as I've had many years successful experience in business start ups and organisation restructure planning (among others) tongue.png

It sounds a little "tailored"...

?????

Location and history are not the most important decisive factors in a new business of this type and locale. Just because the previous owners didn't make it work have no bearing on what the next person can do with a venture as long as it's planned and thought out correctly.

Location and history are very decisive factors in a new business of this type and locale. In fact, it isn't a new business at all, but an existing business. Planning and thought processes can be fantastic on paper, but that doesn't ensure a successful business. I would have thought location would be everything for a successful bar.

The advice wasn't meant to be definitive as I don't know that area and haven't seen the business and don't know all the details, but was meant to be a positive amongst all the negatives that had been thrown at the OP in earlier posts.

A positive statement for the sake of a positive statement... ? I don't think that type of thinking has a lot of benefits, except if you like magical thinking of course. A positive statement based on highlighting positive FACTS, sure

I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about as I've had many years successful experience in business start ups and organisation restructure planning (among others) tongue.png

I would also like to think you might know what you are talking about, but I am not so sure in this case. Perhaps your business and restructure experience is based in the west?

xybadog, it never ceases to amaze me that people will go into the same location with the same type of business over and over again thinking they can make a go of it, yeh in some instances the cards are stacked against the owner and for one reason or another the business dies, but what you have said in regards to location etc is utter nonsense....I have seen it plenty of times.

Randysavage is it not just a little cliched to be be an expat buying a struggling bar thinking you can make a difference and add to the pot you have never owned a bar....seriously give yourself an uppercut.

The ones on here giving you negative responses are the people you should be listening too....why would you want to put yourself through the misery of owning a bar in Thailand.

• Like 1

wow just read the first few replies to this topic.

The bloke was only asking if anybody has gone past it and what do they think and he gets a load of smart alecs goin to town on him.

I don't know if anybody remembers the sketch with Harry Enfield with the character saying 'well you don't want to do it like that that you want to do it like this', springs to mind.

xybadog, it never ceases to amaze me that people will go into the same location with the same type of business over and over again thinking they can make a go of it, yeh in some instances the cards are stacked against the owner and for one reason or another the business dies, but what you have said in regards to location etc is utter nonsense....I have seen it plenty of times.

Randysavage is it not just a little cliched to be be an expat buying a struggling bar thinking you can make a difference and add to the pot you have never owned a bar....seriously give yourself an uppercut.

The ones on here giving you negative responses are the people you should be listening too....why would you want to put yourself through the misery of owning a bar in Thailand.

Christ on a bike, this topic really has brought out the silly twots !... Perhaps the Op should have made two topics...

1) Thai Visa Members, What is Your Opinion on Purchasing and Running a Bar in Khon Kaen?.

All the crabby wonkers who would rather ignore the question and simply force their opinion down the throat of someone who hasn't asked for it could reply with their opinions in this topic. Thus, leaving space for those thoughtful enough to simply answer the question at hand...

2) Go Bar Khon Kaen: Does any body know of it and have any information on it?.

This Topic could be responded to by those helpful folk who have information specifically pertinent to the Ops request.

So Op. It’s all your own fault – You didn’t provide a playground to occupy the silly buggers while your main topic plodded along merrily.

• Like 1

im at heathrow waiting to board the a380 to dubai then on to bangkok, cash on the hip ready for a bit of bar buying the wife has to stay in england as we cant take the kids out of school and my partner is looking after the firm while ive got a 3 week pass going to start off my search in the nana plaza in bangkok if any one wants to meet for a beer ill be staying at the grace hotel then further reasearch in pattaya ill base myself in the buffalow bar on 3 road opp soi linki to top up my research to see if coyote dancing is the real deal then rent a pick up and off to hua hin to look at a couple of bars then finally off to khon kaen to see the now famous go bar and a couple of others that are up for sale then back to bangkok to get ready to fly home if all goes well i could be up and running in the next few months

Edited by randysavage

im at heathrow waiting to board the a380 to dubai then on to bangkok, cash on the hip ready for a bit of bar buying the wife has to stay in england as we cant take the kids out of school and my partner is looking after the firm while ive got a 3 week pass going to start off my search in the nana plaza in bangkok if any one wants to meet for a beer ill be staying at the grace hotel then further reasearch in pattaya ill base myself in the buffalow bar on 3 road opp soi linki to top up my research to see if coyote dancing is the real deal then rent a pick up and off to hua hin to look at a couple of bars then finally off to khon kaen to see the now famous go bar and a couple of others that are up for sale then back to bangkok to get ready to fly home if all goes well i could be up and running in the next few months

So we will have to wait another 3 weeks before you open the next thread about another sparkling business idea you got?

OP if you are buying a bar for that amount, it's a good deal, but you are not buying a bar, you are buying a lease, 3 years maybe. If there is one thing there is no shortage of in Issan, that's places that sell beer. This is not a high tourist area and you can't charge Samui prices. Just sit and think how many beers a day you will have to sell to cover the rent, staff and bills. Hobby yes, but money maker probably not. Jim

what a night in soi cowboy im nursing a headache and im sweating like a pig even though khun o the taxi driver taking me to pattaya has the air con on full blast and for a few extra baht hes pulling over to let me smoke a marlboro light good chap last nights little recce has shown me that a go go bar is a little gold mine after blowing close to 4000 bt still it was worth every penny dont think the wife will approve of me owning a go go bar met a nice girl called pancake and went to the disco under the grace hotel for a dance and some black russian cocktails boy could this little filly dance at 4 in the morning i put her in a cab and said good bye got myself 2 chicken kebabs and more marlboros then in to bed this is a nice hotel only thing missing is a balcony as i like to watch the sun come up with a southern comfort or a shot of coffee and brandy. dear janverbeem you like to shoot with a spencer rifle i like to shoot with an apple i phone so will try to keep you updated on my search for a hangover oops i mean bar well it looks like were having a ciggy break POM SHOP KHUN NIG NOI

what a night in soi cowboy im nursing a headache and im sweating like a pig even though khun o the taxi driver taking me to pattaya has the air con on full blast and for a few extra baht hes pulling over to let me smoke a marlboro light good chap last nights little recce has shown me that a go go bar is a little gold mine after blowing close to 4000 bt still it was worth every penny dont think the wife will approve of me owning a go go bar met a nice girl called pancake and went to the disco under the grace hotel for a dance and some black russian cocktails boy could this little filly dance at 4 in the morning i put her in a cab and said good bye got myself 2 chicken kebabs and more marlboros then in to bed this is a nice hotel only thing missing is a balcony as i like to watch the sun come up with a southern comfort or a shot of coffee and brandy. dear janverbeem you like to shoot with a spencer rifle i like to shoot with an apple i phone so will try to keep you updated on my search for a hangover oops i mean bar well it looks like were having a ciggy break POM SHOP KHUN NIG NOI

Hey, let me throw in some free punctuation marks for you,so you can use them next time you write a post.smile.png

.................. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ???????????? !!!!!! ;;;;;;;

• Like 2

Hi Randysavage,I read with interest ur cyber exploits with all the doom & gloom crew & I thought U were Verrrryyyy patient with them.Just as a thought,there is an area opposite Pulman Hotel in KK that may be more use to U,more foot traffic etc.I am not a local but go to KK several times a year,I live a couple of hrs drive away,I try to travel a bit slower a lot of the time as I am in no hurry,I am on Holidays & like to stop & smell the roses(or is it to settle the nerves from ISSAN BANZAI DRIVERS) as I travel.I think your Idea has merit & after all I'TS UP TO YOU,best of luck & keep us posted,I will look out for it next time I am up there & have a drink(cordial)with U.drunk.gif

Hey, let me throw in some free punctuation marks for you,so you can use them next time you write a post.smile.png

meeeow you alley cat

meeeow you alley cat

I take it you meant

"Meeeow, you alley cat!"

Even if you're posting from your Nokia 3310, you can still access capitals and punctuation.

SC

• Like 1

well its another day in paradise im sitting on the balcony with a cold one [beer that is] and watching the world go by, the motorbike taxis are are clapping there hands at anyone who walks by trying to drum up some work. Last night was a good one started off at the heartbeat bar they have a live band and some very pretty girls who love a chin wag so i had a few mig lights and then off for some balloon hunting. found a bar covered in balloons it was a girl called kois birthday plenty of dancing loads of thai food yadda yadda i then started to crave a bit of coyote dancing so off i goes to a bar on the 3 road and into a coyote style bar and got a little star struck with one of the dancers trying to tell myself just leave it mick youve got the beer goggles on, when this girl finishes her dance she plonks herself on the stool next to me and we get chatting and drinking turns out her name is lucky before i know it im dancing with lucky in the bamboo bar its tequila slammer time and i feel like a teenager again. end of the night get some food off a barrow pad ka pow moo and back to the hotel arrange to meet lucky later on. Now for the bad news my wife is trying to arrange for her surgically enhanced sister to chapparone me on my trip, now her sister is a bit to touchy feely for me as when shes drunk shes the biggest flirt ive met, im lucky theres a wedding going on in her sisters village that will keep her busy for a few days, now im as red blooded as any man and her sister would temp the devil himself but its a no no her sister has broke more hearts than valentino shes got a five bedroom pad paid for by a dutch guy who works in saudi and more plastic in her body than an airfix model. Right i know what im going to do im going to hua hin and as lucky my little coyote dancer said to me i know alot about bars mr mick im going to take her as my coyote dancer/property adviser that looks so good in hot pants the sooner im out of pattaya the sooner the mrs will calm down a bit.As for lucky im thinking of employing her and her little wiggle as a cashier in the bar as shes a clever girl when we first met she told me my name is lucky, GOOD LUCK GOOD property advice

CHOK DEE KRAP

well its another day in paradise im sitting on the balcony with a cold one [beer that is] and watching the world go by, the motorbike taxis are are clapping there hands at anyone who walks by trying to drum up some work. Last night was a good one started off at the heartbeat bar they have a live band and some very pretty girls who love a chin wag so i had a few mig lights and then off for some balloon hunting. found a bar covered in balloons it was a girl called kois birthday plenty of dancing loads of thai food yadda yadda i then started to crave a bit of coyote dancing so off i goes to a bar on the 3 road and into a coyote style bar and got a little star struck with one of the dancers trying to tell myself just leave it mick youve got the beer goggles on, when this girl finishes her dance she plonks herself on the stool next to me and we get chatting and drinking turns out her name is lucky before i know it im dancing with lucky in the bamboo bar its tequila slammer time and i feel like a teenager again. end of the night get some food off a barrow pad ka pow moo and back to the hotel arrange to meet lucky later on. Now for the bad news my wife is trying to arrange for her surgically enhanced sister to chapparone me on my trip, now her sister is a bit to touchy feely for me as when shes drunk shes the biggest flirt ive met, im lucky theres a wedding going on in her sisters village that will keep her busy for a few days, now im as red blooded as any man and her sister would temp the devil himself but its a no no her sister has broke more hearts than valentino shes got a five bedroom pad paid for by a dutch guy who works in saudi and more plastic in her body than an airfix model. Right i know what im going to do im going to hua hin and as lucky my little coyote dancer said to me i know alot about bars mr mick im going to take her as my coyote dancer/property adviser that looks so good in hot pants the sooner im out of pattaya the sooner the mrs will calm down a bit.As for lucky im thinking of employing her and her little wiggle as a cashier in the bar as shes a clever girl when we first met she told me my name is lucky, GOOD LUCK GOOD property advice

CHOK DEE KRAP

ummm.... I can feel your excitement, but, really, this is some boring blogging.

• Like 1

CHOK DEE KRAP

Yepp! coffee1.gif

what would a scrap metal dealer want with punctuation and spelling, that sort of trickery can get you into trouble with the tax man any way im off to meet some of my essex pals for a knees up in soi 7 oh and i dont force anybody to read my posts i do them out of boredom like now waiting for lucky to get some ice from the family mart so if you dont like my posts yet still take the time to read them well the jokes on you mate still must be better than plane spotting or punctuation mistakes spotting on forums

chok dee

Edited by randysavage

what would a scrap metal dealer want with punctuation and spelling, that sort of trickery can get you into trouble with the tax man any way im off to meet some of my essex pals for a knees up in soi 7 oh and i dont force anybody to read my posts i do them out of boredom like now waiting for lucky to get some ice from the family mart

Maybe your wife is reading your blog also,but I'm sure she will not be bored.

what would a scrap metal dealer want with punctuation and spelling, that sort of trickery can get you into trouble with the tax man any way im off to meet some of my essex pals for a knees up in soi 7 oh and i dont force anybody to read my posts i do them out of boredom like now waiting for lucky to get some ice from the family mart

Maybe your wife is reading your blog also,but I'm sure she will not be bored.

my wife would love to read my posts but there written in english not issan and to be honest with you my real name is not randy savage believe it or not Edited by randysavage

CHOK DEE KRAP

Yepp! coffee1.gif

I think this fellow has strayed on to the wrong type of forum - shouldn't this garbage be on some sex-based site where all the punters brag about their exploits?

Can't really see what benefit there is to the readers of this section to read of some bloke gabbing on about his night life antics.

• Like 2