Temperatures In North Drop, People Need Blankets

george

If they inform the kind people of the North and the Hilltribes to save up feathers from chickens and sew two blankets together with the feathers in between.  Then sew acroos the blanket in about one half meter squares to keep the feathers in place, that will work for the future years.  There is nothing like a big feather or down comforter to keep old man winter out!

More tips will come when I think about it.

Like dress in layers of clothing with the loosest at the end.

Put your feet in a pillow case at night.

I hope this gets someone some help.

Am sure that your survival techniques work well in the Northern Latitudes, the cold there would probably kill off any bird flu virus that is around! :o:D

- hope it doesn't hit the same temp as Christmas Eve 1999 when beer was freezing solid in the bottle on tables along the east moat .... and that was at about 9pm - not even the coldest part of the night.

Sorry out of topic. Technically beer does not freeze; it's the water in it that freezes at 0 C (32 F). Therefore the temperature should have been close to zero on that particular night.

G

BUT  (shout off-topic) did anyone else in C-M notice the earthquake at 4:35pm yesterday (Sunday)?

off topic

Yup, I was sitting on my bed and felt dizzy for a coupla second. I thought gee man you gotta quit smokin all those packs .

Well it seems i can keep smokin Lm dang for a while :o

There is already a thread on the earthquake in here

G

Shitto darn it. To all Chaing Mai residents, and those up in the northern regions,if you have your blankets, kindly fan that cold air down south!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will welcome that cold air folks, cause we really do need relief from this constant darn heat. If it does get cold , I will go naked outside and rest on my lawn chair, soaking up that cold refreshing brew of cold air on my cooked up body, and enjoy it literally.

Daveyo

Your division of Bt2 million by 11,000 is too cut and dry. You have to remember that you have to pay to ship the blankets from whatever factory/purchase location and then pay another group of people to distribute them. There will be many hands on the shipment along the way.

No doubt there will also be a number of hands on the money and some will profit. Still, saving lives is the most important thing here.

Some others have suggested the drop in temperature being foreseeable, to some degree that's true. However, to my understanding the temperature has dropped more quickly and deeply than is common in the North. I may be wrong on this, but that's what I've been hearing from my Thai girlfriend.

Temperatures in North drop, poor people need blankets

provincial authorities have  made an emergency allocation of Bt2 million to buy 11,000 blankets given to the needy

--TNA 2005-11-05

2,000,000 / 11,000 = B 181.81 each

They need to shop at Talad Tom Payom where they are on sale for B 99 each

(or at many of the other markets scattered around town)

It has been chilly, but nowhere near 2 - 4 degrees

It got to around 10 or 12 degrees C on Moonmuang Road about midnight midweek but obviously will be worse in the hills

- hope it doesn't hit the same temp as Christmas Eve 1999 when beer was freezing solid in the bottle on tables along the east moat .... and that was at about 9pm - not even the coldest part of the night.

Guess Beer Chang will have some new advertising footage soon?

I remember the coldest weather I ever encountered up in the hills was about 20 years ago, but this same week of His Majesty's birthday. The tempertaure in the nearby small town had gotten down to 1º C. It was a Karen village and the men gave up any hope of sleep and let all the women and kids have the available blanket space. I spent the night sitting with the menfolk around a bonfire drinking until dawn when the womenfolk and the kids woke up. I didn't see any indication they were greatful as they were rather upset that the men of the village were all pretty soused beyond acceptance. Most villagers can handle these cold snaps. The exceptions are the elderly of course and those who, for whatever reason, no longer have an extended family to snuggle up with.

It is not uncommon at this time of the year for temps in the hills to drop down to around 5º C., although I have never seen any hint of snow as a previous poster claimed as these cold temps are always accompanied by clear skies. I have seen frost on the ground higher up the hills when visiting some Akha villages though.

I used to get some stares if I came down to Chiang Mai in the winter for a few drinks and then started suiting up for the motorbike ride back home at 1:00 AM. I would layer up with two heavy shirts, a sweater, a parka, a windbreaker, gloves and wool watch cap looking like Nanook of the North and still freeze my derriere by the time I got home.

Update:

Cold snap, rain in North brings health and weather warnings

CHIANG MAI: -- Thailand's Meteorology Department has warned people in the North of a cold snap which can cause them to suffer from weather-related ailments.

The local weather center said Tuesday that a high pressure ridge from China is covering Thailand's northern region, causing light to moderate rain in 20 per cent of the northern region.

It forecast that temperatures would drop by 2-4 degrees Celcius and thick fog would blanket hilly areas.

Poor visibility is expected to hinder travel and transportation on December 7.

People living in the highlands in the upper northern provinces of Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Phayao, Lamphun, Lampang, Nan and Phrae should prepare warm winter clothes and blankets and brace for posible affects on their livestock and cold-sensitive agricultural crops.

Farmers in Chiang Rai harvested their paddy fields Tuesday to prevent further damage to their crop after an overnight rain in Chiang Rai on Monday.

Local authorities have instructed healthcare service centres and hospitals to be prepared to admit patients with respiratory illnesses, especially chidren and the elderly who are more vulnerable and at risk.

It is expected that temperatures will continue to drop, and over 100,000 villagers are believed to lack blankets and winter clothing.

--TNA 2005-12-06

Well it seems i can keep smokin Lm dang for a while
Is this some kind of code for illeghal drugs?
People living in the highlands in the upper northern provinces of Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Phayao, Lamphun, Lampang, Nan and Phrae should prepare warm winter clothes and blankets
This must be the first time cold temperatures hit the North. Foreigners should donate all they can to avert this natural catastrophe... :o

They do this blanket thing every year, what do these people do, throw them in the bin when the weather starts to warm up a bit?

This is so true, I have watched them do it.

My thought would be to just let them freeze for a winter, then next year when they pass them out they might think twice about throwing them out or selling them.

Sounds cruel, but what else can you do when having to try keep survival of the unfittest.

Blankets and warm clothing are passed out every year, true. However they are almost never given to the same villages. Different places every year.

Unfortunately, blankets are often given to the villages that are easiest to reach, not those most in need. Places a day or so's walk from the nearest road are almost never donated to.

Too many vested interests here too. Unfortunately the evangelical missionaries operating in the area will frequently only allow help to go to their "Souls willing to be saved". Those too honest to abrogate their Animist or Buddhist beliefs, even if in the same village, are all too often left to freeze.

Blankets and warm clothing are passed out every year, true. However they are almost never given to the same villages. Different places every year.

Unfortunately, blankets are often given to the villages that are easiest to reach, not those most in need. Places a day or so's walk from the nearest road are almost never donated to.

Too many vested interests here too. Unfortunately the evangelical missionaries operating in the area will frequently only allow help to go to their "Souls willing to be saved". Those too honest to abrogate their Animist or Buddhist beliefs, even if in the same village, are all too often left to freeze.

This is quite true, last year a group came to my area to donat clothing to the poor, but most of the stuff was scavange bye the ppl in the low ling area, The karen 2 miles futher up, who were the real poor receive nothing. This is because the group contacted a villege head man who assure that he would direct the stuff apporatily.

there is another willge that is a 6 hour walk up the mountain. that never has any contact with the outside world, except when they come down to the last wat going up the mountain. I wish i was still young enough to get up the mountain to see how these ppl truly live. No tourist there

Very interesting to read how donations get distributed. It confirms my suspicions. I am surprised these evangelicals aren't chased off the mountain, and indeed off Thailand with a huge broomstick and shovel...

Last year, I left a bag of clothes in a village by the road, because it was easy to do. My Thai friends told me I was stupid, the family I gave the stuff to distribute were just gonna sell it...

So I've been guilty, too, but out of ignorance.

So where are all the posts about global warming that we get when there is a tropical storm...?  Does this cold snap indicate global cooling?

One of the most notable features of global warming is that more energy is being pumped into the atmosphere. Therefore atmospheric events of all types are likely to be more extreme.

The average temperature of the planet will be higher and this will cause individual weather systems to be more changable. Some places will naturally become much warmer, others colder and yet others will suffer both hotter summers and colder winters.

They do this blanket thing every year, what do these people do, throw them in the bin when the weather starts to warm up a bit?

This is so true, I have watched them do it.

My thought would be to just let them freeze for a winter, then next year when they pass them out they might think twice about throwing them out or selling them.

Sounds cruel, but what else can you do when having to try keep survival of the unfittest.

Nobel Peace for understanding goes to you cutter.What a nice chap.

Thank you.

I believe that completely.

Like when they came to Central America.

Cortez, Cortez.

Edited by Canadianvisitor

Thai buisness :

:o:D:D

If I make umbrellas in Thailand 10 months a year and have a family member

or close friend with good contacts to the thai-media I would ask him to help me to

find farangs to pay my umbrellas when the rain-period starts.

• 3 weeks later...
Unforgiven, yes I do believe that you walk around in shorts in 4 deg in Alaska, but I bet you spent the night in a centraly heated house, got up in the morning to a hot shower, walked in your shorts to your heated car to drive down town to walk between heated shops in your shorts.

Get out of the bar & go see for yourself the living conditions in the high altitude poor hilltribe villages, spend the night in an unheated, uninsulated, not windproof shack with just a few blankets. then get up in the morning & wander around in your shorts while you contemplate a wash in cold water.

Whats going to be your next comment "why dont they build proper houses ? why dont they have UBC ?".

You may have a point :o

Bought somewhere between 300-400 secondhand jackets at market on Cambodian border at Poi Pet with gfriends aunt. Leave for Northern Essan tomorrow and distribute to those in need the following day. Hear it's unusually cold this year.

How secondhand jackets come to be sold at a Thai market on the Cambodian border with American logos on them is another story. I imagine jackets wind up donated to Cambodia, who need them about as much as a dog needs fleas, and so are in turn sold at Thai border markets and on down the line. Even notice all the Western style secondhand clothing at Chatuchuck market, I think this is the source as well.

Kinda like the baseball jerseys and Levi's there...