'Guns At The Ready' Over Phuket Jet-Ski Dispute

webfact

Get ALL the jet ski rental operators together, take them to a secluded area. Give them all M-16A4's with 3 full clips, and then tell them the last man standing gets to run ALL the jet ski rentals. But then arrest him on multiple counts of murder and sentence him to life in prison.

Hey, would make a good movie. Ok, a short one, but still.....

intheclub.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Russian Mafia Money??

Have u all been down Soi Bangla recently? Russian go go bars. Russian dancers/ Russians passing out fliers for their club on the road and in other bars

NO POLICE interference!!

Actually I'm waiting for the day when the Russian Mafia comes in and gives the locals in Phuket and Pattaya a run for their money. It would be the appropriate karmatic consequences for the years of outright rip-offs. It would be fun to watch from afar. I tell all my friends overseas to avoid those two places like the plague. Too many other legit sights to see without being fleeced by the Thai mafia, I mean, the various farang-friendly, service oriented "Clubs". rolleyes.gif

Edited by connda

I don't live on fuc_kit anymore, I don't visit it anymore, and I don't give a fuc_k about it.

Why tourists bother going there or people retire there is beyond me, they obviously require something entirely different to what I want.

Samui is the same.

Hua Hin is alright if you want to play golf and suffer six hour rounds in the heat following Koreans around under the blazing sun.

Pattaya is Pattaya and the world knows what to expect.

I could go on about other places, but you get the picture.

And NO! I'm not telling anyone where I live, because it's still quiet, just few tourists and essentially the same Thai atmosphere I came here for.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

What a shame. When I first read the title for the thread, I had hoped that the jet ski mafiosos were shooting at each other. But it figures they would target the one farang trying to muscle into their turf with 3 new jet skis. Of course any solution must involve grandfathering in those 70+ illegal jet skis, so no harm, no foul.

Amazing Thailand.

Too bad the mayor of Patong, who's son is the president of the Patong tuk tuk association, doesn't make a concerted effort to stamp out this blatant corruption. illegal activity and ongoing scams.....................................................:) Oh wait, nevermind.

The US should issue their travel warning about Phuket. Everybody should write the us embassy and recommend this. Terrible things happen to foreigners EVERDAY there.

The department of state of the US does warn about Phuket in its country specific information. Some of the information includes:

Rental Vehicle Scams: You should be aware of a common scam that involves the rental of motorbikes, jet skis, and sometimes cars. Many rental companies require your passport as a deposit. If there is damage to the rental vehicle, the company often holds the passport until you pay for the damage. We have received many reports of renters having been charged exorbitant amounts for damage to jet skis or motorbikes, even in instances where the renter had caused no visible damage. A variation of this scam occurs when the motorbike is “stolen,” and the rental agency demands that you pay two or three times the price of the motorbike to replace it. For this reason, you should be cautious about rental arrangements and not use your passport as a deposit or collateral. You should be certain to examine the vehicle and note any pre-existing damage before operating the vehicle. If you purchase insurance from the rental shop, be sure you know what the insurance policy covers, and get a receipt showing you paid for insurance. (See also the Crime section.)

CRIME: Although the crime threat in Bangkok and other Thai cities remains lower than that in many U.S. cities, crimes of opportunity such as pick-pocketing, purse-snatching, and burglary are not unusual. You should be especially wary when walking in crowded markets, tourist sites, and bus or train stations. Many U.S. citizens have reported having passports, wallets, and other valuables stolen in Bangkok's Chatuchak Weekend Market, usually by pickpockets and thieves who cut into purses or bags with a razor and remove items surreptitiously. Police at the Market usually refuse to issue police reports for foreign victims of theft, requiring them instead to travel several miles to the central Tourist Police office.

Violent crimes against foreigners are relatively rare. However, there has been a recent upsurge in violent crime against tourists, including the murder of several independent travelers on the southern islands of Phuket and Koh Samui. If you are traveling alone, you should exercise caution and stay in the vicinity of other travelers, especially in the beach areas of these islands.

Serious crimes involving taxis or "tuk-tuks" (three-wheeled taxis) are relatively rare. However, every year foreign passengers are involved in taxi-related incidents in Thailand. You should not hesitate to ask to be let out of a taxi immediately if the driver is acting suspiciously or driving erratically. Drivers often attempt to charge excessive fares. If possible, require the driver to use the meter. Police will seldom intervene in incidents involving taxi drivers. In Phuket, threats of violence may accompany excessive charges. Tuk-tuk and taxi drivers there have been described in media reports as being a “mafia.” They have organized against attempts to provide alternative services. For instance, they have blockaded van and bus services during U.S. Navy ship visits. (See also the Special Circumstances and Safety and Road Conditions sections.)

When arriving at a Thai airport, you should use only taxis from the airport's official taxi stand, cars from the airport limousine counters, or airport buses. Major hotels also arrange to have a car and driver meet incoming flights. It is uncommon for Thai taxis to pick up additional passengers. You should be wary of drivers seeking to do so, and you should never enter a cab that has someone besides the driver in it.

Scams involving gems, city tours, entertainment venues, and credit cards are common, especially in areas heavily visited by tourists. Taxi drivers and others commonly tout gem stores or entertainment venues. These touts receive kickbacks or commissions that drive up the prices of the goods or services, and you should not accept tours or other offers from them. You should use credit cards only in reputable, established businesses, and you should check the amount you have been charged for accuracy.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) receives over a thousand complaints each year from visitors who have been cheated on gem purchases. Scams usually follow a predictable pattern. Someone approaches you outside of a well-known tourist attraction such as the Grand Palace and says that the attraction is closed. The friendly stranger gains your confidence and suggests a visit to a temple that is supposedly open only one day per year; the stranger then mentions in passing that a special once-a-year government-sponsored gem sale is going on and directs you to a waiting tuk-tuk. At the temple, another stranger -- sometimes a foreigner-- engages you in conversation and also mentions the "special" gem sale. You agree to go look at the gem shop and are soon convinced to buy thousands of dollars worth of jewels that you can supposedly sell in the United States for a 100 percent profit. In fact, the gems turn out to be of much less value than you paid for them, and the shop does not honor its money-back guarantee. No matter what a tout may say, no jewelry stores are owned, operated, or sponsored by the Thai government or by the Thai royal family. You can find the list of gem dealers who have promised to abide by TAT guidelines online at the Buying Gems and Jewellery in Thailand section of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's website.You can find detailed information on gem scams on numerous websites. If you fall victim to a gem scam, you should contact the local branch of the Tourist Police or call their toll-free number: 1155.

Although most bars and entertainment venues operate honestly, some, especially in tourist areas such as Bangkok’s Patpong area, try to charge exorbitant prices for drinks or unadvertised cover charges and then threaten violence if the charges are not paid. If you are victimized in this fashion, you should not attempt to resolve the problem yourself but should instead pay the price demanded and then seek out a nearby Tourist Police officer for help in getting restitution. If no officer is nearby, you can phone the Tourist Police at 1155.

There have been occasional reports of prostitutes or bar workers drugging people with the powerful sedative scopolamine in order to rob them. Tourists have also been victimized by drugged food and drink, usually offered by a friendly stranger who is sometimes posing as a fellow traveler on an overnight bus or train. In addition, casual acquaintances you meet in a bar or on the street may pose a threat. You should not leave drinks or food unattended and should avoid going alone to unfamiliar venues.

Criminals have victimized some foreigners by presenting themselves as police, sometimes wearing police uniforms. After a conspirator lures the foreigner into doing something illegal, the “police officer” appears and threatens to arrest the foreigner unless he or she pays a “bribe” -- which the conspirator helps to negotiate. To protect yourself from such scams, do not engage in activities that would put you in a vulnerable position, such as soliciting sex or purchasing or using illegal drugs. If someone claiming to be a police officer demands money from you, request to pay at the police station.

This always gets me - the US land thousands of service men every year into Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. If they really want to stop their men being ripped off and abused, then tell the Thai Gov. they have had enough of the lack of protection of the basic human rights of their men and drop Thailand from the R&R stops - just for a year say, and lets see if the sudden drop in revenue makes itself heard - this is also true of cruise ships stopping in Phuket and organised coaches for excursions being blockaded and drivers beaten by these tuk-tuk driving sewer scum. The only way Thailand will listen is if the big people at the top start losing serious money. There are many ports that would welcome the servicemen and cruise liners and offer memroies that do not include intimdation, theft, extortion and violence. US, put your money where your mouth is (or, indeed, hit 'em where it hurts, the wallet!)

Sounds like a solution to me and not a problem. Let them start something with the Russian Mob and see how it turns out for JJ and the boys.

I don't know how people can live around dirt bags like this. Pattaya, Phuket and parts of Samui... you can have them. Those places all attract bad people, both foreign and local.

i heard a Russian thought he could muscle into the kamala market but he was dumped out at sea pretty fast.

Seriously, I think the Thai Gov needs to rethink their position and look carefully at their own exports. Forces are in motion to halt, disrupt, seize up to 54% of it for violations of Trade agreements. Denying yet another foreign business owner will add more neg. to the Thai lopsided Trade. PM should simply have signs at the aitport telling foreigners to drop their wallets and ATM cards "with PIN" in the box and get back on the plane.

That would be the perfect solution for Thais,just leave your money and get back on the plane.lol