Lenses Cheaper In Japan Or Hong Kong?

whatsupdoc

I have no idea to be honest,

but suggest you research the prices in Thailand before you leave

and then make the decision as you to along on your trip.

I have a feeling Japan will be expensive,

Hongkong you need to be very careful that you are buying the real item.

Japan will be expensive because of the exchange rate...

I have a bit of free time and am pretty close to a couple of electronic shops in Tokyo. I am not a camera aficionado but if you list out exactly what you are looking for, I could pop over to them to let you know the JPY prices. No biggie as the first shop is just a 5 minute or so bicycle ride away, the other is still a bicycle ride away at the mall.

List them here and I will post the prices here so everyone can get the benefit of recent prices.

Japan will be expensive because of the exchange rate...

I have a bit of free time and am pretty close to a couple of electronic shops in Tokyo. I am not a camera aficionado but if you list out exactly what you are looking for, I could pop over to them to let you know the JPY prices. No biggie as the first shop is just a 5 minute or so bicycle ride away, the other is still a bicycle ride away at the mall.

List them here and I will post the prices here so everyone can get the benefit of recent prices.

I am primarily interested in the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens and the Nissin Di466 flash for Canon.

These are not very expensive in Thailand either, but since I am going to Japan/Hong Kong anyway it doesn't hurt to save some money if possible.

Thank you very much in advance for your effort!

Tin Cheung is a pretty good gauge of how much you will pay in HK. There are some cheaper places, but I usually go with TC or Wing Shing for lens purchases.

That lens is around THB 8300 at Tin Cheung.

No idea about Japan. That lens is fairly cheap, so the actual amount you save by shopping around in different countries might be US$15.

Ok, back from my little camera stuff jaunt and here are the results.

Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens - I hit two shops, Kojima and Big Camera. The price - JPY 37,800 or about 15.3k baht.

Nissin Di466 Flash for Canon - JPY 16,800 or about 6.8k baht.

I went online with amazon.co.jp and the lens came in at JPY 33,780 or about 13.7k and the flash at JPY 16,000 or about 6.5k baht. I believe that the amazon prices may be the lowest available in Japan.

Lens

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Canon-EF-S55-250mm-F4-5-6-%E3%83%87%E3%82%B8%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB%E5%B0%82%E7%94%A8-%E3%82%BA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA/dp/B000V9D5LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327830658&sr=8-1

Flash - http://www.amazon.co.jp/Nissin-digital-ND466FT-%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%83%87%E3%82%B8%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB-%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B5%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E7%94%A8/dp/B003LWH156/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327830695&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Looks like the lens price is a whole lot higher in Tokyo than HK. Silly me, I thought they would be closer. Oh well, enjoy wherever you purchase and take some great pictures.

Ok, back from my little camera stuff jaunt and here are the results.

Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens - I hit two shops, Kojima and Big Camera. The price - JPY 37,800 or about 15.3k baht.

Nissin Di466 Flash for Canon - JPY 16,800 or about 6.8k baht.

I went online with amazon.co.jp and the lens came in at JPY 33,780 or about 13.7k and the flash at JPY 16,000 or about 6.5k baht. I believe that the amazon prices may be the lowest available in Japan.

Lens

http://www.amazon.co...27830658&sr=8-1

Flash - http://www.amazon.co...95&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Looks like the lens price is a whole lot higher in Tokyo than HK. Silly me, I thought they would be closer. Oh well, enjoy wherever you purchase and take some great pictures.

Thank you for all the replies. Actually it seems that I can get those items cheaper in Thailand!! Quite a surprise.....

Canon DSLR body is cheaper by fine % in Hong Kong than Thailand, Japan the most expensive.

Canon lens is mostly cheaper in Thailand, than Hong Kong than Japan. for your information the Hong Kong price :

- Broadway ( Time Square ) at HKD1,650, about THB6,600+

- some shops selling 'grey market - no HKG warranty' at HKD1,410, about THB5,700+

Nissin Di466, Hong Kong street price, black is from HKD750, about THD3,000+, and white is from HKD830, about THB3,350+

Broadway Photo Supply ( chain stores ), Wing Sing and Man Shing are very reliable shops, not the lowest price, English sometimes. I used to shop at Chung Pui at Stanley Street, a pro shop, English ok.

- Wing Shing, 55-57 Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mongkok

- Man Shing, 106 Tung Choi Street, Mongkok

- Chung Pui, 44 Stanley Street, Central

yet, varieties of photo equipment supplies, then Japan is great !

Edited by ETatBKK