Urgent - Need Vet That Will Agree To Provide Euthanasia

Hello,

I am searching for a way to euthanize my landlady's 15 yo medium size mixed breed dog (with her permission - she is not in Bangkok due to work abroad).

He is very old and feeble and has trouble moving. Doing it in the house is strongly preferred to reduce suffering and anxiety caused by moving him.

It is mandatory that this be done as soon as possible. Any vets in Bangkok that will agree to it? Or am I practicing wishful thinking? Her regular vet has repeatedly said no, and says he is "fine" (haha).

Sugestions are urgently needed.

i couldnt watch my dog suffer i dont now what i would do,i think money is god in los so be it.with all my experiance with greyhounds in the uk.having one put to sleep by a vet was always the best thing to do.maybe there's a clue there? what would an overdose of sleeping tabs do,surely the suffering would be over.dont let the dog suffer anymore there's got to be someone out there who would do it.keep us posted, a dog lover.

According to various media reports there are some vets in Bangkok happy to sell Nembutal (pentobarbital sodium) to Australia tourists coming to Thailand seeking "vet supplies". Nembutal is not regulated in Thailand according to these reports. People who can't get Nembutal often use helium gas delivered through a hood. Previously I've used chloroform to euthanize birds.

I'm currently searching for Nembutal for a friend in need. If I find a supplier I'll PM you.

Good luck

buddhists dont believe in euthenasia because it is killing (and not killing for food, which, btw, many thais wont do either. they will eat aniamls butnot slaughter animals). several topics here about same subject over the years, and same argument with hubby , when it came time to help our boxers (rip).

however, i advise not to try to do it along because improper dosages just prolong the suffering. however, valiam or similar can be given to relax the dog. if the dog has a heart problem, then this might also do the anesthesia trick. often old dogs that are blind and deaf (not dumb, i.e. mute) often cry constantly as that is their way of expressig distress and confusion (dogs whine when stressed or upset, not just when hurt). also,neurological problems also show as constant whining or barking in to the empty air.

an old primitive way is giving the dog valium, and then when he is relaxed inject a syringe of saline in to the heart (the way vets used to do that here, in the '80s). however, from personal experience with injecting meds in to heart, u have to be very familiar with the animals anatomy, and strong hearted and steady hand . im still traumitized from euthenizing a kid goat that way, a few years a go, and i missed the heart and got the lung. the affect was the same, the time it took was a bit longer and less pleasant. (it was already almost dead from hypothermia, for all the would be repliers).

in mean time, keep the dog comfortable, help him drink , keep him clean... nature may takes its course faster then u think.

bina

He is crying because he has, what we believe to be, cancerous lesions all over his body.

As far as I have read, Buddhism does NOT permit for eating meat, if the animal is killed expressly for that purpose. I am about 110% sure that the majority of animals that are eaten as food in Thailand are killed expressly for food. My question then, would be, why make an exception to the religious rules for killing and eating animals, but have it be expressly forbidden to do so in order to relieve extreme suffering for one?

What kind of Buddhist promotes the torture of animals? Sick.

Couldn't agree more with you - seems hypocritical to me! Just hope that i don't face the same dilemma with my old cat.

I couldn't stand to see him suffer.

I hope that you have found an answer and that the dog is now at peace. Good luck and please keep us posted, as I am sure that there are many people out there who will face the same problem in years to come.

The dog is resting in peace now. A brave vet agreed to do it...had to send the rest of his/her office home for the day and but still did it. He was really suffering and regular painkillers were not enough, similar to if a human had cancer - just like a person, a dog would need morphine or something quite strong.

The whole thing continues to blow my mind. If this were a vegetarian country, I could better understand. And, as a side note, I have seen more KFC's here than anywhere else I've ever lived or traveled, including the US. KFC is known worldwide for serving tortured, factory farmed chicken. Really Buddhist!

RIP to your dog. in Buddhist saying, wishing him a good journey of starting a new life.

this is a typical Thai confusion of being kind and feeling kind. Thai certainly won't kill animal for just killing, and won't kill for food ( BUT someone kills it then it is ok ).

Thai way of raising up their animals ( or better say pets ) are not good neither, and that allows many misfortune and even unnecessary pain in their life. being a pet owner, can't go along with this 'kindness' yet not 'human' approach.

RIP to your dog. in Buddhist saying, wishing him a good journey of starting a new life.

this is a typical Thai confusion of being kind and feeling kind. Thai certainly won't kill animal for just killing, and won't kill for food ( BUT someone kills it then it is ok ).

Thai way of raising up their animals ( or better say pets ) are not good neither, and that allows many misfortune and even unnecessary pain in their life. being a pet owner, can't go along with this 'kindness' yet not 'human' approach.

Rubbish! Thais kill for food frequently. Some are even happy to poison dogs, cats etc. that are annoying them or they think are annoying their 'guests' in hotels etc.

Getting back on topic - I'm happy OP that you found a vet that would do the kind thing.

I too had a dog with many cancerous lesions (I adopted him knowing this and that he didn't have much longer to live). Fortunately, there are good vets that realise one has done everything possible and that (finally) the humane thing is to put them to sleep...

In my experience, its the most competent and educated vets that will come out to your house to euthanise your pet when they agree that the pet is suffering.

Hypocrisy through the whole system and culture. But heh, the weathers nice, people are nice, and standard of life is better than in the UK and HK where i used to live so not grumbling ")

But you need to find a good vet to remain in that happy state.

Rubbish! Thais kill for food frequently. Some are even happy to poison dogs, cats etc. that are annoying them or they think are annoying their 'guests' in hotels etc.

Getting back on topic - I'm happy OP that you found a vet that would do the kind thing.

I too had a dog with many cancerous lesions (I adopted him knowing this and that he didn't have much longer to live). Fortunately, there are good vets that realise one has done everything possible and that (finally) the humane thing is to put them to sleep...

In my experience, its the most competent and educated vets that will come out to your house to euthanise your pet when they agree that the pet is suffering.

this is how a contradictory society behavouring - most public not deal of killing a shrimp for food, but someone catch the dog for a dinner !

Well done for having the devotion, compassion and persistence to see this difficult matter through. There are so many senseless, random examples of cruelty to animals around the world and it is difficult to understand the Buddhist mindset that allows such suffering 'by default' although not intended.

You and the vet have made a difference today and stood up for humane values.

RIP little doggie.

• Like 1

+100

pumpum, please keep this vet contact with you, sooner or later someone will need this service, unfortunately.

this is something we as dog lovers must do,must speak to my vet next visit for heartworm jab,i couldnt bear to watch my dog suffer,so be prepared.

In December we had to make this difficult decision as well. We had tried everything to help our dog get better, but he was very old. Towards the end, we were going to visit the vet once or twice a week to try different medicines and treatments.

I just knew in my heart the day I had dreaded had come. We brought him back to the vet and asked about it. He requested that we do some bloodwork just to see if anything else could be done for him, but indeed it showed his liver was starting to shut down. The vet agreed to do the euthanasia, and we were surrounded by other kind, supportive staff as well. Everyone knew our dog since we had been there so often.

Sorry for you loss - I know how difficult it can be. I am glad you were able to find someone to help him cross over and end his suffering.

Thanks all. The funny thing is, this little guy was not even my dog, he belonged to my landlady who lives out of town, so we just shared living quarters. That did not make his suffering any easier to bear though and I just had to do something for him.