Urgent - Need Vet That Will Agree To Provide Euthanasia

there is no 'rule' against eating meat. there is one of the precepts to 'not take life' therefore eating meat means taking n animal's life. it is not a religious injunction. just a suggestion to someone if they want to 'live right work right etc'...

as far as slaughtering animals, i have met thais that wont slaughter at all, thais that wont eat 'higher animals i.e. buffalo, beef, etc; others that eat anything and everything but wont slaughter and yet others that will slaughter. since buddhism is a personal system i.e. individuals are responsible only for themselves, everyone chooses how he/she wants to behave. therefore there is no 'rule' to not euthenize, but there is no rule that says u must either. to us it means leaving an animal in endless pain. to others it means killing , for no reason whatsover (playing god as to who lives and who dies). which is a different discussion. buddhism also says that life is a line of birth lving sufferring and death). i.e. u suffer and then die. it is part of living and no one but your own self can do anything aabout it. of course from our point of view that is seemingly criminal and cruel. but someone from an other culture, deciding when someone or something should die, is cruel and criminal (rather like debates about abortion, and human uethenasia).

even here , getting a vet to euthenize is not so easy, often they wont do it unless it really really is for the sake of the animal and not for the sake of the owner who feels that hte animal is sufferring , or cant take care of the animal in last stages of disease ...

whether or not thais slaughter or not slaughter, poison or not poisons animals is not the debate, as i said before, every person's aderance to budhist precepts is their own choice and not a collective way of living. therefore it is a personal decision for a vet to do this. and having been owner of farm animals and pets that have had to be euthenized, and working with vets and helping to euthenize, it is never an easy decision for the vet to decide whether or not 'now is the time', regardless of what the owner might feel.

my own personal hope with many of the farm animals that i have had to euthenize (a paralyzed goat kid, a buck with septicemia to mention two that until now i cant forget) was ' am i making the right decision, is this animal ready? or is it me just not wanting to deal with its pain? - and always hopeing that the animal might go to sleep and just not wake up, before i have to insert the needle, and push the contents of the syringe in.

death of an animal is always sad, but it is the sufferring before the death that makes it so difficult for us.

most likely younger and more modern thai vets will be more likely to be willing to euthenize if needed.

bina

• 2 months later...

My wife is most kindhearted and loves animals she ocasionally will bring home an animal that has been injured by an automobile and is clearly past most help available here . I have often wondered if there might be a vet out there whom might be willing to train a layman how to properly administer a lethal dose of antistetic to these unfortunite anamals.

• 6 months later...

Many foreigners come to THailand searching for Nembutal drug not to put their pets to sleep but to put themselves to sleep. There are organizations to help the terminally-ill patients and elderly to end their lives peacefully.

There are websites suggesting for many to fly to Thailand, Peru or Mexico to get those drugs. Many have flown across the world to get the drugs. I know coz i've been depressed and looking for ways to end my life, and nembutal sounds like a nice way to go.

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...

Nembutal is a controlled drug and can only legally purchased by doctors or veterinarians. Most likely because it is widely sort after worldwide for human euthanasia. If you want the drug to euthanize your dog you should see if your vet will give you a lethal dose so that you can do it yourself as many vets won't do it. But it needs to be administered intravenously so you will have to know what you are doing. They will most likely have it as it is the most common anesthetic used for surgery.

I'm an animal lover and would only euthanize one as a last resort. I believe in "lead poisoning"! I always thought that it was totally inhumane to drag a dying animal to a clinic that was a "bad place" for them only to have someone else inject them with a lethal drug while you stood by and watched them die. When it was necessary, a 22 bullet in the head, at home in familiar surroundings, always seemed more humane and it was instantaneous and affective. I only hope that when my time comes it is as quick.

Nembutal is a controlled drug and can only legally purchased by doctors or veterinarians. Most likely because it is widely sort after worldwide for human euthanasia. If you want the drug to euthanize your dog you should see if your vet will give you a lethal dose so that you can do it yourself as many vets won't do it. But it needs to be administered intravenously so you will have to know what you are doing. They will most likely have it as it is the most common anesthetic used for surgery.

I'm an animal lover and would only euthanize one as a last resort. I believe in "lead poisoning"! I always thought that it was totally inhumane to drag a dying animal to a clinic that was a "bad place" for them only to have someone else inject them with a lethal drug while you stood by and watched them die. When it was necessary, a 22 bullet in the head, at home in familiar surroundings, always seemed more humane and it was instantaneous and affective. I only hope that when my time comes it is as quick.

Actually it is not approved for use in Thailand by anymore by doctors. I believe it was previously licensed for use here (as a controlled drug) but no longer. Its use in anesthesia has been superseded by better drugs so there is no longer any legitimate medical need for it. I don't know if it is still approved for veterinary use.

Within that general class of drugs, the only one I know of available in Thailand is sodium thiopental, but of course it is a controlled drug and illegal to obtain without prescription.

Actually it is not approved for use in Thailand by anymore by doctors. I believe it was previously licensed for use here (as a controlled drug) but no longer. Its use in anesthesia has been superseded by better drugs so there is no longer any legitimate medical need for it. I don't know if it is still approved for veterinary use.

Within that general class of drugs, the only one I know of available in Thailand is sodium thiopental, but of course it is a controlled drug and illegal to obtain without prescription.

Interesting! The vet that I consult with still buys and uses it as an anesthetic for surgery, but he won't euthanize an animal.

having one of my dogs put to sleep is my worst nightmare. but i'm the first one to go for it if there's something incurable and they suffer. what i will not do is leave him/her with a vet but he/she will die painless at home in my arms by the medication which i will administer myself.

This is one of my greatest fears in Thailand. My pair of dachshunds are family and both have been through two spinal surgeries each. If they fall lame and are in serious pain, I want to be able to help them pass as painlessly as possible. Relying on a Thai vet is not a prerequisite.

So sorry about the dog and glad he's resting in peace now.

I live in Hua Hin and my vet has told me she'll agree to euthanize a pet if nothing can be done to help it and the animal is suffering. I'm not sure she advertises this, but I've been taking my pets to her for over three years and she knows how well I care for them and how much I love them. If I ever ask, she knows it's because there's truly nothing else that can be done.

I think if you develop a good relationship with a vet you trust, you're more likely to get a positive response if the time comes to ask for this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely rediculous that a country that loves animals so much, cannot take that step to legally let the suffering animals go peacefully.

And then they complain about the over population of strays. My wee mind just boggles. But to watch an animal suffer at the end of its life when a little prick of a needle can end all that. And then to add to the sufference the vets make you pay more for drugs that will not help the dog or cat or wabbit to suffer even more till it dies a horrible death in front of you.

Patsy, bad mood.

• 5 years later...

As crazy as this may sound, I have done it 2x now...

I told my dog lovingly of course, it was ok to die now... and for one of them, I was away at the time and spoke to her on a line video call... she couldn't walk but was aware and looked at me when I spoke to her. She died an hour later...

good luck and all my sympathy in this most difficult time.

ps - if the owner can do this by video call it might be more effective, though not sure if the dog is deaf and blind.