Bangkok Squad To Tackle Phuket's Illegal Taxis

webfact

Bangkok squad to tackle illegal taxis

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12166shOnyRTMUalxOEaEbhLGQwfZqq.jpg

Phuket Governor Tri said he appreciated the support from Bangkok. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: -- A team of Ministry of Interior (MoI) officials from Bangkok will arrive in Phuket in the coming weeks to tackle the island’s long-standing problems with “black plate” taxis and their drivers, Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha has announced.

The move follows a number of serious complaints received by the ministry regarding “black plate” taxis, the local name for regular vehicles used illegally as taxis.

Among the complaints to be addressed are threatening behavior by drivers and unfair prices, said Gov Tri.

“We are always receiving complaints about ‘black plate’ taxis, which can be found at most tourist attractions in Phuket.

“The top complaint is that legitimate taxis can’t access certain locations where local ‘black plate’ taxi drivers operate.

“Sometimes, the drivers have tried to steal passengers from other drivers and fighting has ensued,” said Governor Tri.

Most complaints came from Patong, Kata, Karon and Sakoo, he added.

The move for Bangkok to send a team down to deal with the situation follows complaints being made directly to ministry officials in Bangkok, he said.

“I heard that people filed complaints about ‘black plate’ taxis ripping people off with the Prime Minister’s Office as well as the MoI,” said Governor Tri.

“Now the Ministry of Interior is to send an ‘ad-hoc’ team to Phuket to solve problems with ‘black plate’ taxis. They plan to come in February,” he added.

Governor Tri, who has had a difficult time with public transport issues, said he appreciated the support from Bangkok.

“We didn’t just watch the problem and do nothing about it. I set up a working committee to keep chipping away at the problems, but it takes a lot of time and effort.

One initiative, by the Phuket Land Transportation Office and Department of Local Administration, has been to encourage illegal taxi drivers to upgrade their vehicles so they could be registered as genuine taxis.

Once the “black plate” taxi was fully and legally registered as a “green plate” taxi, the driver could then continue to work as a legitimate taxi driver – with no punishment at all for the years worked outside the law.

But the project has so far enjoyed only limited success, said Gov Tri. “Some ‘black plate’ taxi drivers have registered with us. Our next step is to install meters in their cars, but there are some rules that prevent us from doing this, such as the age of the vehicles.

“Buying a new car is expensive, that’s why not many of the drivers want to register their cars as taxis and make them legal. This is why we seem so slow in solving this problem,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12166.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-01

i guess it is the local thai taxi maffia who is complaining they get some competition and off course they should get rid of all non thai (indian?) other illegal competition

No, the illegal taxi's are normal members of the 'taxi maffia'.

• Like 1

Vehicles are to old to be allowed to be taxis

Since when has safety been a concern in Thailand

Thai wife takes 8 people in the back of my ute when she goes out

I ask her do you think this is safe

No problem we have been doing for years........................

• Like 2

i guess it is the local thai taxi maffia who is complaining they get some competition and off course they should get rid of all non thai (indian?) other illegal competition

I don't think its competition from non Thais (I may be wrong but I think Taxi driver is one of the job descriptions that is reserved for Thais only anyway).

I think its the genuine regsitered taxi drivers and tourists alike that have made complaints that the local taxi mafias don't give them a look in

>>Our next step is to install meters in their cars, but there are some rules that prevent us from doing this.

I think the rule is called the taxi tuk tuk mafia don't want meters installed.

>>such as the age of the vehicles.

I must say many of the taxi meter cars appear to be old, on their last legs, with shoddy suspension, old worn out interiors etc.

• Like 1

Just another example of the ABSOLUTE UNWILLINGNESS on the part of Thai officials to fight corruption within the LOS. Why not go after the normal taxis who charge whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want? Why go after the so called illegal taxis, when most of the licensed taxis are committing crimes every hour of every day, by refusing to use their meters? Why not tackle this problem in Samui too, where the problem is beyond rampant, and where many tourists who visit vow to NEVER RETURN, due to the inability to get a taxi to take them 3km, for less than 300 baht? The authorities here in Thailand are beyond cowards. They are inept, useless, indifferent, and bought and paid for.

• Like 1

LoL Some entrepreneurial police chief in Bangkok must've realized he could make a fortune in bribe money by expanding to Phuket. And he's probably right judging by the Mercedes and BMWs the taxi mafia are driving.

I was talking to a meter taxi driver coming from the airport last time I went to Phuket... he said he couldn't even come pick me up at my hotel to go back to the airport the next day. He told me he used to be able to, but the mafia got sick of him going to pick people up in their territory and showed some guns and said that was the last time he would be picking someone up.

Lord forbid the Thai police actually arrest someone for breaking the law... it's all about figuring out how they're going to profit from the crooks instead. *sigh*

One should not forget the importance of solving this issue. Taxis are one of the first and last chances to make a good ever-lasting impression on tourists and local visitors alike. If only they knew how much money is lost by not tackling issue it would already be solved...

I don't think its competition from non Thais (I may be wrong but I think Taxi driver is one of the job descriptions that is reserved for Thais only anyway).

I think its the genuine regsitered taxi drivers and tourists alike that have made complaints that the local taxi mafias don't give them a look in

They should investigate them all, regardless of the colour of the plate, start when they get off the plane at Phuket airport with the 'Meter Taxis' who never put there meter on, they just want the same rate as the 'Limo's'.

One should not forget the importance of solving this issue. Taxis are one of the first and last chances to make a good ever-lasting impression on tourists and local visitors alike. If only they knew how much money is lost by not tackling issue it would already be solved...

Bib's, influential business people, "organizations" and those that collect organizations money, and all the drivers do not want to change a thing as they're all doing really well and the only lost money they worrry about is the lost money if things were run legal and above board.

Major difference between a legal green plate taxi and an illegal white plate is

Legal taxi is inspected by DLT every 6 months. Illegal private car used as taxi is inspected first time when its 6 years old

legal taxi must carry insurnace for its passenger. many illegal do not

Legal taxi must display drivers ID, non illegal do

Legal taxis pay taxes, illegal well....

To make an illegal taxi legal it must be accepted by fiancecompany actually owning car. Not easy

Illgeal taxis pay cops to be ignored, this increase other illegal activities as they are immune to legal system

Welcome BKK, get them out of business, and give the local cops a bonus for each one they catch

The taxi I use to go to the airport, or, who meets me at the airport and takes me home is an "illegal" taxi.

He drives safely and gives me a very reasonable price. Much better than the legal taxis.

This is all about the crooks that run the legal taxis getting rid of the competition. Be prepared for another hike in fares.

PS. Is it just my imagination, or, does the Phuket Governor look like Thaksin's brother?

Edited by KarenBravo

The taxi I use to go to the airport, or, who meets me at the airport and takes me home is an "illegal" taxi.

He drives safely and gives me a very reasonable price. Much better than the legal taxis.

This is all about the crooks that run the legal taxis getting rid of the competition. Be prepared for another hike in fares.

PS. Is it just my imagination, or, does the Phuket Governor look like Thaksin's brother?

disagree

the illegal taxis occupy parts of the island and deny lagal taxis or any other transport access.

First step to make all taxis able to pick up anywhere at any time, is to get them all under one umbrella. Legal green plated taxis

When all taxis can pick up any pasenegr at any place at any time, prices will go down as their milage per passenger will be half, and they dont need to wait in a que all day at their place of occupancy

Next step would be to have all these taxis directed by (a) central(s), and a phonenumber to call when you need a taxi, anywhere.

Like in most countries

Comparing legal and illegal is all good but that doesnt take into account that is is nearly NO legal taxi in Phuket.... All are mafia or mafia associated and also assigned a special zone, they are not even allowed to pick-up passenger outside their own area.

Take Taxi in Karon, to go Patong, you pay return price: the driver (even though Mafia associate) can not pick-up anyone in Patong as his area is Karon: zoning at its best smile.png

Most of green plates vehicules are hotel vehicules transporting guests....

Metered taxi at Airport? 50% chances he will stop taxi, turn off meter and ask for revised price of 2k Baht threatening tourist to not take them to destination..

Sounds like a joke TBH though, team from Bangkok will come to Phuket, take a few pictures... of Sunsets... Spend a few nights... In Bangla road bars... and be waved bye bye after their holidays....

Edit: "they have old car"... What a joke... Those illegal taxi drivers charge minimum 500-600 Baht per trip, up to 1500 Baht depending on destination, they are so minted that they would not even stop sleeping if you propose 100 baht less than their current rate... Average income? 30 to 60k up monthly depending season... They could easily buy a new car whenever needed..

Edited by CantSpell

No, not only yours. I was thinking the same. Is there some sort of facial plague started?

No, the illegal taxi's are normal members of the 'taxi maffia'.

Correct.

No, not only yours. I was thinking the same. Is there some sort of facial plague started?

I was thinking same.

thaksin_stamps1.jpgphuket-1-12166shOnyRTMUalxOEaEbhLGQwfZqq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder when they are going to start looking into this as it seems that a new shanty town taxi shack springs up nearly every week in Rawai.

The latest one is right on the very bad intersection of Rawai Muay Boxing Soi.

Shack and cones stopping you parking.I parked there to drop something off at the corner bar the other night and was told to move.

<deleted> em I am over giving in to these morons I left my truck there but kept a very good eye on it.

You would think with the loss of face thing here they would at least have a go at what they keep spouting on about.