Ambush Brit Fights For Life In Hua Hin

webfact

I would never invest money in Thailand. I would also never do business with anybody in Thailand.

You do so all at your own risk. It is a lawless place. You are never safe.

Thailand is a place for broke farang to stretch their money. If you had money, why not move to a country that has no corruption problems like Singapore?

Agree and disagree. I do feel that Thailand is more-or-less lawless. Laws on the books but most often not enforced and certainly not enforced consistently.

As for broke farang, there seem to be many here, but the same risk that makes Thailand scary can also make the successful -- very, very successful. There is opportunity in Thailand that does not exist in the same abundance in places like Singapore, USA, Japan, S. Korea etc

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never invest money in Thailand. I would also never do business with anybody in Thailand.

Thailand is a place for broke farang to stretch their money. If you had money, why not move to a country that has no corruption problems like Singapore?

Agree on the lawlessness. Regulatory enforcement is dodgy at best. That said there are some farang with long term interests in large companies here and they seem to have managed fine.

In response to you last paragraph I think there are many wealthy farang here in Thailand who may not be needing to stretch their dollars.

Singapore has lots going for it - language, personal safety (unless they want to cane or hang you), great and cheap food, reliable public transport... efficiency+++

Drive a Maserati in Sing. and you'll be one of 3 at the same traffic lights. You can be relatively rich here for a lot less. A new pick-up wow! I couldn't afford to register it in Sing. You'd be up with the local mafia boss if you've got a new PCX in my village.

I'd still choose the chaos here, but certainly not for business. I earn it in Sing. and spend it in Thailand.

Edited by andrew55

Agree on the lawlessness. Regulatory enforcement is dodgy at best. That said there are some farang with long term interests in large companies here and they seem to have managed fine.

In response to you last paragraph I think there are many wealthy farang here in Thailand who may not be needing to stretch their dollars.

Singapore has lots going for it - language, personal safety (unless they want to cane or hang you), great and cheap food, reliable public transport... efficiency+++

Drive a Maserati in Sing. and you'll be one of 3 at the same traffic lights. You can be relatively rich here for a lot less. A new pick-up wow! I couldn't afford to register it in Sing. You'd be up with the local mafia boss if you've got a new PCX in my village.

I'd still choose the chaos here, but certainly not for business. I earn it in Sing. and spend it in Thailand.

I work for a Singapore based company myself but world wide.

Living in Singapore hmm, no thanks unless you earn + 1 Mill us$ pr year, living in a small condo it not my way of life, okay its safe in many regards but I prefer Thailand any day. If you are a type that require max safety/comfort Sing is properly good for you, but I am a more adventurous type and Thailand suits me just fine, never had any major problems during +8 years here.

The more I read about Thailand the more it looks like a lawless cesspit.

When I went to Phuket over ten years ago for my honeymoon I thought it would be the perfect place to retire to, and we visited several times a year.

Three years ago when the tuk tuk mafia took control of the transport situation, and foreigners seemed to have no rights whatoever, we havnt been back, and and I doubt we ever will. There simply seems to be no place that could be considered safe anymore, Chaing Mai, Hua Hin, Phuket etc.

Why was Chiang Mai on your list? Can't remember the last time I saw a news report of foreigners being beaten by Thais up here - certainly not, to my memory,

Here's one for your memory banks then!

Posted 2012-02-12 07:51:35

Ex-con, friend confess to attack on Chinese tourist

The more I read about Thailand the more it looks like a lawless cesspit.

When I went to Phuket over ten years ago for my honeymoon I thought it would be the perfect place to retire to, and we visited several times a year.

Three years ago when the tuk tuk mafia took control of the transport situation, and foreigners seemed to have no rights whatoever, we havnt been back, and and I doubt we ever will. There simply seems to be no place that could be considered safe anymore, Chaing Mai, Hua Hin, Phuket etc.

Why was Chiang Mai on your list? Can't remember the last time I saw a news report of foreigners being beaten by Thais up here - certainly not, to my memory,

Here's one for your memory banks then!

Posted 2012-02-12 07:51:35

Ex-con, friend confess to attack on Chinese tourist

http://www.thaivisa....hinese-tourist/

Is there a follow up to what happened to the attackers.

1. dont withhold payment from a Thai if you are a farang. find another way to solve the dispute.

2. never use vulgar language or raise your voice with Thai people.

3. if you cant follow Thai ways, dont live here because you will get f-ed up sooner or later.

i should add, if u want paradise, go to the beaches for vacation. dont build there. i dont see these kinds of attacks happening in Isaan. when we want paradise, we take a beach trip. we dont try to build a house down where all of Thailand gangsters, thugs, and politicians live.

Your joking.arent you.

Mods can I post links to a 2010 murder of a Australian young man stabbed and robbed in a Isaan area.by passing motorbike young hoodlums who got a lousy 4 year jail sentence.

OR the Elderly farang who was shot dead walking down the street in 2009 because as the muderers said,they wanted to go farang hunting.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/australian-dies-after-thai-street-attack-20100415-sgh7.html

Edited by terrychris