Ambush Brit Fights For Life In Hua Hin

webfact

I live in Chiang Mai, about 18klm east of the city itself. My wife and I are in the process of having our house painted, and another room added on. Before doing so, we checked with some of the local developers as to who they used. My wife informed them that prior to retiring in Thailand, I was in the home improvment business, so I knew the difference between good work and bad, and would not tolerate bad.

A good man was recommended to us and my wife called him. He came to the house, looked at the computerized drawings I'd made for the room addition, smiled and told my wife that I knew what I was doing. He gave us a price that was, in my opinion, very reasonable. I paid 1/3 down and they started 2 days later. Since then he usually checks with me every day to make sure things are done the way I want, and that I am happy with his work. They are and I am. The work is nearly 50% completed, so I paid another 1/3, with the final to be paid upon completion.

One of the main reasons I hired him is that it only took a little bit of checking to find out he has worked on some major projects in some of the larger, more expensive housing projects in this area, and comes highly recommended. He is friendly, hard working, willing to listen to my idea - via my wife translating - and make any changes I might want which, so far, has been only one minor one in regards to the type of window I wanted in the new room.

I know there are a lot of the types referred to in this story, but with a little bit of effort and checking around, you can find the good ones that are out there.

• Like 2

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting from Drummond's report and its reciting of a supposed memo from the local farang newspaper editor in Hua Hin:

This is the reply she got from the Editor, Gerard Mosselman who refused her advertisment:

“Writing critically about crime does not help Hua Hin. A former local foreign newspaper was closed because they criticised local developers and Thai Police.

“We are a foreign News Media who have permission to make local and international tourist , real estate, events and other news except ..criminal and political news.

“In addition, last week, an editor of a newspaper in Phuket was shot to death because he criticised publicly certain things he did not agree with. I hope you understand our situation. Publicising the deeds on your husband will , unfortunately, not reverse the brutal attack.”

I don't know what's been left out in the elipses portion before "criminal and political news."

But if the actual note from the Hua Hin editor is as it is portrayed to be, that's a pretty interesting and telling statement on the state of so-called journalism in Thailand.

I wonder how many other news outlets (whether Thai or farang-run) operate under similar pressures or dictates from the local authorities.

There likewise was the recent case in the South where the Army was found by a Thai court of essentially having illegally tortured two Muslim students while they were in custody. But as I recollect it, The Nation only had a brief report about a financial judgment award to the victims...that didn't mention torture at all... And at least at that time, the BKK Post didn't make any mention of the case at all.

Maybe some of the Hua Hin-based members here can post on whether the Hua Hin newspaper in question actually does or doesn't report on local crime that occurs there. Or is it all just, "come to Hua Hin for your dream vacation." And hopefully don't get killed while you're there.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Of course, and very unfortunately, Paul wasn't wearing a helmet and it was hitting his head on the concrete road as a result of the attack that fractured his skull, not a blow to the head by his assailant who reportedly was armed with a tree branch, not a club per se.

So, its not actually murder if you got pushed off a cliff.

First, no oné has died as yet - so no murder as yet.

Second, not wearing a helmet is both against the law and stupid - so even if he doesn't pull through (and I really hope he does) the police will quite probably consider his death as a self inflicted accident.

I know that this particular victim has survived.

But really, have you thought through your logic about police considering his wounds as being self-inflicted? huh.png

Yes, I did - and I still think the police will use the fact of no helmet as a more than reasonable excuse not to pursue the matter further.

In any event, nothing will happen while Paul remains in a coma. They will say they need to interview him, as maybe they do - his wife apparently has no clear recollection of the attack (understandably). If he comes out of the coma and remembers nothing, the police will do nothing. If he doesn't come out of the coma at all, the police will do nothing.

Think about how stupid he was - on a small scooter going to school with both his 12 year old son and his wife, coming back with just his wife - no one wearing helmets.

The number of macho unhelmeted farang ding dongs weaving around Hua Hin is astonishing, just as it is in Koh Samui!

At least Thais know how to drive a motorbike - they learn so very early in life!

Edited by easyas

When you read the report it says his Brother runs a building Company in Hua Hin?? is that correct. And he hasnt been to visit him in hospital?? Strange story.

Guess he feels terrible he didnt get the buidlers from his company todo the work.

The email they received will have the IP address of the sender by the way. I think u right click on message details. Something like that. Quite easy for the police to track down the sender if it was from a fixed address.

I live in Chiang Mai, about 18klm east of the city itself. My wife and I are in the process of having our house painted, and another room added on. Before doing so, we checked with some of the local developers as to who they used. My wife informed them that prior to retiring in Thailand, I was in the home improvment business, so I knew the difference between good work and bad, and would not tolerate bad.

A good man was recommended to us and my wife called him. He came to the house, looked at the computerized drawings I'd made for the room addition, smiled and told my wife that I knew what I was doing. He gave us a price that was, in my opinion, very reasonable. I paid 1/3 down and they started 2 days later. Since then he usually checks with me every day to make sure things are done the way I want, and that I am happy with his work. They are and I am. The work is nearly 50% completed, so I paid another 1/3, with the final to be paid upon completion.

One of the main reasons I hired him is that it only took a little bit of checking to find out he has worked on some major projects in some of the larger, more expensive housing projects in this area, and comes highly recommended. He is friendly, hard working, willing to listen to my idea - via my wife translating - and make any changes I might want which, so far, has been only one minor one in regards to the type of window I wanted in the new room.

I know there are a lot of the types referred to in this story, but with a little bit of effort and checking around, you can find the good ones that are out there.

this is true but many times the good guys are too busy for small jobs so whats left is the left overs and they almost always come with problems.

Can't remember the last time I saw a news report of foreigners being beaten by Thais up here

Not everything gets to the news. I was assaulted by a ladyboy on Loi Kroh road, Chiang Mai. Would've been hospitalised by him and all his chums if I didn't hand over the scam money. Luckily I walked away after a few kicks to my spine. Many Thais witnessed it and none batted an eyelid.

Thais tend to be incredibly indoctrinated, ill-travelled and xenophobic. Especially outside of Bangkok. Foreigners really are, ultimately, nothing more than ATM's here. Only a fool will forget that in Thailand. Great place for a real experience but a questionable one for permanent relocation. Thais can make fantastic hosts - providing the economics are agreeable to them. IMHO.

Farangs need to realise they are in Thailand. People here do not believe in the law as such, this man withheld 1/3 of the payment for decoration and carpentry work - so that means the total bill would have been for £1200 - let him try and get the same work done in the UK for this price! Did he not look around him while he was in Thailand and think 'the levels of workmanship here are not the same as the UK'? If you get Thais to do a job for you, they will do it quickly and often not to a high standard, this is reflected in the price charged. If you are unhappy with the work, tough, you pay up. This is not the UK and the Thai's have their ways of getting their own back. I've been ripped off in lots of ways while I've been in Thailand, from dodgy taxi drivers to dodgy work but I always pay up, it isn't worth getting involved in any dispute because I know that I'll get smashed round the back of the head when I least expect it.

Anyone that lives in Thailand is aware of these practices. Just look at village life where people borrow money 'poy' - if they don't pay the Thais send the heavies along to visit mum and knock the crud out of her, steal all their belongings and still demand the payment in full! This is how it works here. If you don't like it leave! Or alternatively, do the work yourself.

Also, Thai law will ALWAYS put the Thai first. Often the Police and the courts will go on the word of a Thai despite documentary evidence (video, legal documents) stating the contrary.

Farangs need to realise they are in Thailand...

The "when in Rome" defence. The grounds for criticism and complaint remain nonetheless entirely valid. We are, after all, from the (relatively) free West where truth, honesty and fair-play assume a much higher position in our cultural life. That said, foreigners are free to leave and, if they are sufficiently unhappy with the Thai people, should do so.

Another of those "the majority loathe foreigners" swipes. Actually, the majority do not even give us enough thought to develop any opinion. They are too busy getting on with their lives. You are attaching far too much importance to being a foreigner.

In this case there are so many unanswered questions, it is difficult to say what actually went on. Obviously, someone pissed off someone else and a man is now in hospital fighting for his life. No matter what he did (making a Thai lose face or whatever), he did not deserve that.

And all you people saying that Thais do not withhold payment, have screaming matches with developers, etc. are talking rubbish. They do and generally get their way, but if they piss off someone who can't control themselves they too may get a bashing. It is equal opportunity here.

I just wonder how he could afford such an expensive house in the first place. Do self-employed decorators, carpenters get paid so much in the UK now ? I think not.

Yet another one.

The place is lawless.

The very worst of crimes - horrific assaults and murders - go unpunished.

Worse. They go un-investigated as if the attack on a foreigner is like dropping litter.

I despair with the place, the people, the authorities, all of whom share in the apathy and are complicit in the lawless state of Thailand.

Ordinary people, raising ordinary concerns - a decorating bill - are visciously assaulted, murdered, threatened, and lives are ruined.

Life is cheap. In fact life is worthless; to be thrown away by mindless and violent thugs.

All of this is done over money. The exorbitant wealth of a foreign few remains the envy of the native majority who loathe foreigners and their invasion of Thailand. The reality is that you are not welcome there. But as long as the cash flows you are tollerated.

Argue over a paltry sum - a few hundred pounds - and you pay with your life.

It should not be thought that the money is disproportoinately large. Rather, the Thais are a violent race who resort to extreme violence at the earliest opportunity. The perceived loss of face prevents them from seeking resolution by normal discussion. Threats are issued which are meant to intimidate. Viscious violence immediately follows.

It should not be overlooked that establishment figures, namely the police, support such actions. Persons holding positions within the local business sector and councils are behind much of this extortion, crime and violence. Hence, he whole system is rotten with corruption from top to bottom.

The result is that family members are cowed into silence. Local newspapers dare not carry the story as they will be punished for speaaking the truth. The truth in Thailand is an unwelcome visitor. All foreigners would be wise to recognise that feeling.

It is simply unfit for purpose as a tourist haven.

The passive and impotent Thais remain gutless and powerless to effect change. Never will Thailand see a revolution. They have a strange and different mindset. When the rest of the impoverished downtrodden world is demonstrating the Thais watch TV. The people of the Arab world seek freedom from their shackles whereas Thais simply accept them.

When paid to march they are there in their thousands. But there remains an ideological void. There is no belief system in justice or understanding of equality, democracy or fairness. Morality and ethics are remote concepts learned from the west by the few who have travelled or been to university [abroad]. But even they find no voice. The stautus quo is to be maintained in Thailand at all costs. Freedom of speech is dangerous. So too is freedom of thought and a failed education system does its best to deliver lousy results. Give someone an education and you give them the power to think - for themselves.

Nothing will ever improve for Thailand. It is a hopeless case. Change comes from the people. Quite simply they haven't got the will, vision or desire to seek an improvement to their own lives.

The answer?

Avoid the place.

Let them murder and extort their own.

so...just to be clear. you don't like the place?

• Like 1

Just to be clear...Gerrard Mosselmann (who is a neighbour) is actually sub-editor, the newspaper points the editor as Police General blah blah. I would expect this would limit Gerry as to what he could report. I'm not saying he was right or wrong just pointing out that his hands may be tied.

Edited by colinp

So as this is the case, than why bother starting any sorts of business in Thailand and go through all the hassle?

after my first 6 months in Thailand i knew it was a waste of time and money to start a business in Thailand. if your intended market is Thais then you will be doing a lot of work for a little scratch. not to mention the problems with the police and mafia.

the only growth markets in Thailand are cellphones, motorcycles, rice, and ice, because those are the 4 things every Thai must have every day. unless you can safely and successfully break into one of these markets, then just enjoy the fresh air and spend your farang money like the rest of us.

the problem is the country attracts a lot of farangs with no money and they scratch around trying to find a baht. Thailand only wants the farangs with money here. if you dont understand that, then you have a bad time ahead of you.

Rather, the Thais are a violent race who resort to extreme violence at the earliest opportunity.

I remember reading about a Pattaya Thai crackhead chick (Ice, yabba, whatever - I call them all crackheads) killing a child of about 7 years old for a 700 baht cellphone. Threw the kid into a lake/pond and then hit her on the neck with a piece of wood and broke her neck. The ax attack in Phuket, the gun shots from road rage, the mass attacks by Thais on non-Thais and each other... Yep. I said it before and I will say it again. The place is the hood and if you are ready to shoot, maim, ambush, pay-off for your crimes with enough cash... you will be welcome with open arms by everyone from the local food stand seller to the mayor of most cities as you have cash. Have a party and everyone will be slapping your back and laughing about whatever is the news of the day.

I think people here need to be careful about not letting their life/world view be shaped entirely by the news reports that populate the pages here...

Yes, undeniably, a lot of horrible stuff goes on, not just with farangs, but with Thais as victims too. And there's corruption and apathy and failure to properly investigate crimes... not just against farangs...but against everyone, Thais included...

But there certainly are a lot of good and compassionate Thai people, Thai people who have and do help others, Thai and farang alike. So to make such broad, sweeping and negative indictments of a nationality is a sign to me that some folks are spending too much time reading the news reports here and not enough out in their own neighborhoods.

As for the news reports, I think it's pretty safe to say they're often inaccurate, incomplete, one-sided or simply uninformed. I don't know the people directly involved in this case. But the article clearly was written in the usual "Thailand isn't the paradise you think" style for the folks/readers/papers back in the home country.

And there certainly seemed to be a fair number of questions raised but not answered in just how things occurred and what caused what to happen in this case. No one deserves to have their head cracked open and end up in a coma. But just what led up to that happening, and what factors/activities may have contributed to the end result, is hardly clear from the OP report.

Sadly Hua Hin is no longer the place to consider far too many murders there now as with all Thai towns that grow with foreigners the crime follows..anyone who puts almost half a million pounds into a house here must be delusional or just crazy

Hope this story turns out positive but sadly it looks like it wont; like many I would be surprised if they leave with any of the 430,000 GBP

Thailand is no game and it gets very serious if you cant handle it

Sadly Hua Hin is no longer the place to consider far too many murders there now as with all Thai towns that grow with foreigners the crime follows..anyone who puts almost half a million pounds into a house here must be delusional or just crazy

Hope this story turns out positive but sadly it looks like it wont; like many I would be surprised if they leave with any of the 430,000 GBP

just cancelled trip to Thailand.....

Good for you...if more did that then maybe someone would take notice. As long as the money keeps flowing, nothing will ever be done.

You know I dont usually post on messabe boards, especially where Thailand is concerned mostly because responding to silly posts are a waste of time.

However for my first (I think) post to this forum, I have a question.

You say that "Thailand is no game, and it gets very serious if you cant handle it" how would "You" have handled this diffrently?

D Vince poses a good question here. I do not believe he is trolling, and I for one would like to know how this "should" have been handled if you are in know with regard knowing how to "handle it".

Reading the article - it would appear that the victim had been abusive towards the contractor. Maybe I'm wrong? But if that was the case then possibly it was the trigger for turning things from mean to very nasty? Personally, I would have tried to negotiate with them in a happy-dopey-smiley Thai way ..... however if that failed then I guess I would have gone down a similar route of withholding payment. With hindsight, of course it was not the smartest thing to do - getting your skull cracked open for 400 quid - but hindsight is wonderful and to be honest if put on the spot I guess I would have done the same.

A friend of mine bought a house in Hua Hin - the builder tried to cheat him out of money and there was a legal dispute but it was resolved favourably for my buddy. However, my buddy was trying to be smart, dealing directly with the builder, cutting out the middle man and all that..... which was not the smartest thing to do. There is alot to be said for buying from a well known developer, with references and a track record etc. ...... same can be said for contractors etc...... dunno if this poor bloke went down the route of a reputable contractor, or some cheap and cheerful cow boy?

Crime rates in Thailand are under reported. There are no doubt quite a few attacks/murders that fo unreported and the reality in Thailand does not always match the LOS image the gov t tries to instill in tourists. I am also amazed at the fact Thailand has the highest murder rate via firearms in the world. This may in part be due to the lack of information gathering in other nations, but the reality is that death by firearms is quite high. Having said that I believe that attacks/murders are not random as they are in some other nations. I have never felt under threat in Thailand, unlike in other countires.

I live in Hua Hin for quite some time, I know some of the people that got beaten up or killed here.

First of all, these kind of crimes happen everywhere, even in front of your doorstep:

"Man killed amid Britain's post-Christmas sales"

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Man-killed-amid-Britain-s-post-Christmas-sales-2425296.php

"Man charged with murder after dog poop dispute"

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2011/09/09/18662221.html

Having something like this happen to you has nothing to do with where you are, it has to do with who you are dealing with. Donald Whiting is a good example that these things are not exclusively a "Thai" problem, as his dispute was with a Brit in Thailand.

If I would get an email from anyone saying:

“It would be better for you to pay us and have this finished once and for all. If you refuse to pay us we have other means to make you pay but let us do the best and soft way first. Please also pay the carpenters as they don’t know how to play soft”.

there are exactly 2 choices, as far as I know:

1. Get really ugly

2. Pay

This could be an email from the mob we all imagine from movies like Godfather.

The real problem in Thailand in general is the total lack of support by the authorities when you need it, the total lack of interest by authorities in crimes involving foreigners and Thais, and most of all the reason why this is continuing to happen: The gag-order on English news outlets in Thailand preventing them from reporting on these crimes.

You should get a Thai to translate the local Thai newspapers sometime, they usually do feature news involving foreigners that are not covered in the English media...

My condolences to Paul and his family, may he recover well and full.

• Like 1

I am reminded of this movie, that takes place in Bangkok. Shows a lot of the mafia crap, but also showed a scene where after being freindly to the local Thai people and generous with them, they helped protect her from the mafia thugs, but then of course it is just a movie.

"Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li" (2009)

When a teenager, Chun-Li witnesses the kidnapping of her father by wealthy crime lord M. Bison. When she grows up, she goes into a quest for vengeance and becomes the famous crime-fighter of the Street Fighter universe.

Chun-Li lives a calm life with her father, when one day, the local mobster Bison kidnaps her father. After her mother's death, she embarks into a quest to rescue her kidnapped father from the clutches of powerful criminal lord Bison.

Edited by z12
  • Like 1

All this reporting of farang being targeted is clearly on the surface, a very disturbing trend. Yet, one thing almost all of the 'innocent' targets seem to have in common is how they have been flaunting their wealth and living a very decadent lifestyle, in a country which has long been exploited by farang (pretty much the whole world has been exploited by farang for the last 500 years). I am sorry to hear of anyone being attacked for any reason, but the one thing many of these 'victims' seem to have in common is that they were drawing a lot of negative attention to themselves. The flaunting of wealth alone does not seem to be a catalyst, but if you combine it with other activities/attitudes, it seems to be a tipping point which leads to these attacks. It is sad that someone living in a mega mansion in a country which is desperately trying to establish a minimum wage of $10 a day, cannot understand why ripping off someone living in a shanty would cause anger and problems. If you do not like the way they work, do it yourself.

I am all for moving to another country and culture, but the very first thing you should do is learn to respect that culture and the people in it. You are a guest, and regardless of how long you live there, you will always be viewed as an outsider by some, if not most people (it is no different for a foreigner in the USA/UK, an accent will always give you away, regardless of appearance). Since you are CHOOSING to live there, it should be because you truly like the country and the people as they are, not because you think it is a good situation for you to exploit and take advantage of.

Edited by RaoulDuke
  • Like 1

1. dont withhold payment from a Thai if you are a farang. find another way to solve the dispute.

2. never use vulgar language or raise your voice with Thai people.

3. if you cant follow Thai ways, dont live here because you will get f-ed up sooner or later.

the same rules should apply anywhere if you don't like violence. i would like to see a thai behave that way in america

...one thing almost all of the 'innocent' targets seem to have in common is how they have been flaunting their wealth and living a very decadent lifestyle, in a country which has long been exploited by farang (pretty much the whole world has been exploited by farang for the last 500 years).

Where, in the article, does it describe Paul and Justine Ayling's "very decadent lifestyle"? It does describe how they "exploited" the locals by attempting to contribute to the local economy at market rates for proper service. Farangs have used that kind of exploitation ever since evil farang capitalism became recognised as the best system of wealth creation ever devised.