BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Problem At Suvarnabhumi

I flew to out of Thailand yesterday and brought my youngest. At the airport I was asked the question "Where's your wife". I answered that she was at home taking care of our oldest. All of a sudden there's all sorts of commotion. Our youngest doesn't have my family name. She does have another passport (from my country of origin) but this didn't matter.

I didn't realise I was not allowed to leave with my daughter. What if she had entered as a foreigner? Would that have made any difference? As I understand it, a copy of the birth certificate wouldn't have sufficed?

From their pov you are taking a child out of the country, it could be anyones...I believe a written permission is required.

From their pov you are taking a child out of the country, it could be anyones...I believe a written permission is required.

It couldn't be anyones if I have a copy of the birth certificate.

I'm perplexed with these politics.

These ideals and consciousness, as they apply to children, are a contemporary development.

Just because you are the father doesn't mean you have custody, and even if you have they put this in to stop one partner from absconding o/s with a child when there is a split.

I'm perplexed with these politics.

These ideals and consciousness, as they apply to children, are a contemporary development.

Anything for the little kiddies.

Just because you are the father doesn't mean you have custody, and even if you have they put this in to stop one partner from absconding o/s with a child when there is a split.

But the mother would be allowed to depart with said child...?

Since a couple of month, it is a new policy to check in case of a minor traveling with only one adult/parent. But yours is the first report I have seen about being actually being enforced.

The IATA Database now states:

Thailand (TH)

Minors:

- When arriving in, or departing from Thailand, minors aged

under 16 years, traveling unaccompanied or without one or

both parents are required to hold a letter of consent from

the non traveling parent(s). Additionally, unaccompanied

minors are required to hold a copy of their birth

certificate.

But the mother would be allowed to depart with said child...?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/children.html

Since a couple of month, it is a new policy to check in case of a minor traveling with only one adult/parent. But yours is the first report I have seen about being actually being enforced.

Thailand (TH)

Minors:

certificate.

In all fairness, this is pretty brilliant. Hopefully this policy will be enforced in the same way I experienced yesterday.

Thailand (TH)

Minors:

certificate.

AND, just to add to the confusion; no question was asked when we came back...

It's the same for women....

When I married I didn't take my husbands name but both my children have his surname. I am often asked for proof as being their mother (I am British, father is British and kids are British - not adopted Thai's) when I leave Thailand alone with the kids.

I think it's great they ask these questions as it shows they are checking to ensure kids are not being trafficked.

When I take my friends daughter I get him to write a letter and include photocopies of his passport and her birth cert.

On the other hand, a child is allowed to leave on an overseas school excursion without both parents. ;)

This is interesting- 3 years ago I was asked the same thing with my 3 year old son using a us passport. I said according to the sign out front the mother was not allowed past a certain point without a ticket and she was probably in a taxi home! My question is at what age can they deny a us citizen from leaving? how do they know he is actually thai- could be anywhere from se asia?

My two grand-daughters are arriving at the end of February for a holiday, it's their third visit to Thailand.

As with their last visit they will be travelling with their grand parents (from my son in laws side of course), should I advise them to get a letter from their son and my daughter just in case?? Both are blue eyed blonde English roses.