Problem At Suvarnabhumi

Forethat

I flew to out of Thailand yesterday and brought my youngest. At the airport I was asked the question "Where's your wife". I answered that she was at home taking care of our oldest. All of a sudden there's all sorts of commotion. Our youngest doesn't have my family name. She does have another passport (from my country of origin) but this didn't matter.

I didn't realise I was not allowed to leave with my daughter. What if she had entered as a foreigner? Would that have made any difference? As I understand it, a copy of the birth certificate wouldn't have sufficed?

From their pov you are taking a child out of the country, it could be anyones...I believe a written permission is required.

I'm perplexed with these politics.

These ideals and consciousness, as they apply to children, are a contemporary development.

From their pov you are taking a child out of the country, it could be anyones...I believe a written permission is required.

It couldn't be anyones if I have a copy of the birth certificate.

Just because you are the father doesn't mean you have custody, and even if you have they put this in to stop one partner from absconding o/s with a child when there is a split.

I'm perplexed with these politics.

These ideals and consciousness, as they apply to children, are a contemporary development.

Anything for the little kiddies.

Just because you are the father doesn't mean you have custody, and even if you have they put this in to stop one partner from absconding o/s with a child when there is a split.

But the mother would be allowed to depart with said child...?

Since a couple of month, it is a new policy to check in case of a minor traveling with only one adult/parent. But yours is the first report I have seen about being actually being enforced.

The IATA Database now states:

Thailand (TH)

Minors:

- When arriving in, or departing from Thailand, minors aged

under 16 years, traveling unaccompanied or without one or

both parents are required to hold a letter of consent from

the non traveling parent(s). Additionally, unaccompanied

minors are required to hold a copy of their birth

certificate.

But the mother would be allowed to depart with said child...?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/children.html

Since a couple of month, it is a new policy to check in case of a minor traveling with only one adult/parent. But yours is the first report I have seen about being actually being enforced.

Thailand (TH)

Minors:

certificate.

In all fairness, this is pretty brilliant. Hopefully this policy will be enforced in the same way I experienced yesterday.

Thailand (TH)

Minors:

certificate.

AND, just to add to the confusion; no question was asked when we came back...

It's the same for women....

When I married I didn't take my husbands name but both my children have his surname. I am often asked for proof as being their mother (I am British, father is British and kids are British - not adopted Thai's) when I leave Thailand alone with the kids.

I think it's great they ask these questions as it shows they are checking to ensure kids are not being trafficked.

When I take my friends daughter I get him to write a letter and include photocopies of his passport and her birth cert.

This is interesting- 3 years ago I was asked the same thing with my 3 year old son using a us passport. I said according to the sign out front the mother was not allowed past a certain point without a ticket and she was probably in a taxi home! My question is at what age can they deny a us citizen from leaving? how do they know he is actually thai- could be anywhere from se asia?

My two grand-daughters are arriving at the end of February for a holiday, it's their third visit to Thailand.

As with their last visit they will be travelling with their grand parents (from my son in laws side of course), should I advise them to get a letter from their son and my daughter just in case?? Both are blue eyed blonde English roses.

@ Crossy - yes get a letter from the parents and include copies of the parents passport/ID and a phone number. My kids are blonde blue eyed roses too and I still get asked - and I am their mother but do not share their surname.

It is not just a "Thai" thing, any child travelling with people that are not their parents/legal guardians MAY be subject to questions on who they are with and whether they have permission. Its a child trafficking prevention measure - nothing to do with being Thai.

I would suppose on school excursions the adults in charge generally have signed release forms from the actual parents.... there is probably some regulation about minor under 16 travelling *alone* as well....

And yes, this is a good regulation- as long as there is also an indication of what happens in a single parent family (especially if the other parent is not custodial, considered dangerous or a threat, or dead).

I would suppose on school excursions the adults in charge generally have signed release forms from the actual parents.... there is probably some regulation about minor under 16 travelling *alone* as well....

And yes, this is a good regulation- as long as there is also an indication of what happens in a single parent family (especially if the other parent is not custodial, considered dangerous or a threat, or dead).

It's one of those things where everyone thinks it's a good idea, but no concencus on where, how and by who it is policed has been reached.

I could think of lots of situations where getting "meaningful" proof of your right to travel with your child could be problematic or impossible, and lots of situations where evidence presented is totally meaningless.

This is interesting- 3 years ago I was asked the same thing with my 3 year old son using a us passport. I said according to the sign out front the mother was not allowed past a certain point without a ticket and she was probably in a taxi home! My question is at what age can they deny a us citizen from leaving? how do they know he is actually thai- could be anywhere from se asia?

According to the rules published by IATA, all minors under 16 travelling alone or without both parents need permission from both parents to travel. Always carry permission to prevent trouble. Nationality does not matter.

Thailand (TH)

Minors:

certificate.

When i was applying for gf and her son,s visa for a 3 week holiday to the uk,she had to have a letter,signed by 3 witnesses to state she is the sole guardian,as she kicked her thai bf out,when she was pregnant,he got another girl pregnant too.so her son has never seen the dad,and she has bought him up until he came to live with us age 4

It's the same for women....

When I married I didn't take my husbands name but both my children have his surname. I am often asked for proof as being their mother (I am British, father is British and kids are British - not adopted Thai's) when I leave Thailand alone with the kids.

I think it's great they ask these questions as it shows they are checking to ensure kids are not being trafficked.

When I take my friends daughter I get him to write a letter and include photocopies of his passport and her birth cert.

In 7 years my wife has not been asked once who is the kid with the different surname that she's taking out of Thailand or where is the father.

There is no officail format for such letter.

I would simply write a note stating to give permisison to husband/wife to travel with the child. In case it is another person/person not mentioned on the birth certifiacte one would better explicetly identify that person with name, etc.

I would also give full contact details, as well as a signed copy of ID-card/passport giving the permisison to travel.

Yes, it i easy to fake. But immigration can ask questions if they sense something is not right, for example a kid being frightened. A week ago a person at Schiphol Airport was arrested because he rose suspicion, and a check turned up he didn't have permission.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!

There is no officail format for such letter.

I would simply write a note stating to give permisison to husband/wife to travel with the child. In case it is another person/person not mentioned on the birth certifiacte one would better explicetly identify that person with name, etc.

I would also give full contact details, as well as a signed copy of ID-card/passport giving the permisison to travel.

Yes, it i easy to fake. But immigration can ask questions if they sense something is not right, for example a kid being frightened. A week ago a person at Schiphol Airport was arrested because he rose suspicion, and a check turned up he didn't have permission.

• 4 weeks later...

They have definitely cranked up the level of attention they pay to this matter. I flew out from Suvarnabhumi last week on a one-way ticket and again had to show documentation to prove I was the father and had permission to take my daughter out of Thailand.

I was met by exactly the same questions at Heathrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering, since my daughter is American, does she require a Tourist Visa if she is coming to see me for more than 30 days (I have a 60 day stay booked for the summer). She is 11, and will be traveling unaccompanied... from all the posts I can find, not too scary of an ordeal for her, and overstay doesn't seem to be an issue if under 14 (if I've read those posts correctly)... but want to know if she needs to get that visa prior to coming...

Thanks much!

Ross

Just wondering, since my daughter is American, does she require a Tourist Visa if she is coming to see me for more than 30 days (I have a 60 day stay booked for the summer). She is 11, and will be traveling unaccompanied... from all the posts I can find, not too scary of an ordeal for her, and overstay doesn't seem to be an issue if under 14 (if I've read those posts correctly)... but want to know if she needs to get that visa prior to coming...

Thanks much!

Ross

She needs a visa or the ailrine might refuse her boarding. Once in Thailand there is no overstay issue, but she still needs a visa.

As unaccompanied minor she wil also need written permisison from parents to travel and her birth certificate.

Thanks much, will have the ex get her a Visa there then... (she's actually in Japan)

Have looked at the forms for submission to Thai embassy... according to website for embassy in Japan...(below), I think for number 5, a copy of my bank account here in Thailand should do... but what about for number 4? She doesn't have her own account, is that mine as well? Or do I need to have ex open an account for her? (everything else looks relatively easy)

Since she's unaccompanied, just wonder what others did if they went for the Tourist Visa for their unaccompanied minor.

Again, thaks for the help!

Ross

Required documents for tourist visa Written by Administrator | 07 August 2009

Required documents are:

1. One application form (download here)

2. Two photos (colour, size 3.5 x 4.5 cm) Citizens of following countries are required to provide 3 phots and 3 copies of application form

* Citizens of Algeria, Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria and Yemen

Citizens of following countries are required to provide 4 phots and 4 copies of application form

* Nigeria

3. Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

4. 1. Company employee must prepare Employment Verification letter(Original) (Business card is not acceptable)

Citizens of Algeria, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestinian State, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Yemen and Nigeriamust prepare business registration/license(Original)

2. Self-employed applicant must prepare business registration/license and bank statement.

3. Student must prepare guarantee letter from university and student card.

4. Pensioner must prepare bank statement or pension fund

5. House wife must prepare husband's passport copy, Alien registration card copy and marriage certificate

5. A copy of recent bank statement or a copy of evidence of adequate finance

(20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

6. Airline ticket (fully paid) with flight no., date of entry/exit and name

* Open ticket is not acceptable

7. Details of your itinerary or explanation of purpose to visit Thailand.

8. For Citizens of North Korea must prepare personal history and guarantee letter with photocopy of the guarantors passport or drivers license with original signature

Japan is not the most easiest consulate there is. Contact the consulate by email and explain the situation and ask what they need.

I would include a copy of your passport with extension of stay to show she is visiting you and you are staying here legally. That will probably be what they will want to see, togetter maybe with a copy of your bankbook with enough money.

Note that if she will be staying for less than 30 days, no visa might be required depending on her nationality.