Thai Airways Baggage Weight Limit

StevieH

My girlfriend is flying on Thai Airways this weekend and is travelling with a suitcase weighing 22kg. The limit on Thai Air seems to be 20kg for the ticket she has. Does anyone know if they're sticklers for the limits like Air Asia are or would they maybe let a couple of KGs pass?

Shouldn't be a big issue. I have one of those hand scales-electronic and I was 23KG's, the scale in the airport you pay for said 21 kilos and TG scale it showed 24 kilos-go figure- I smiled and no issue

TG never has checked my carry on, seem more concerned with size.

bangkok to chiang mai. only a short hop and it's the early flight so i can't imagine it will be full anyway. am sure she won't have any bother but if she's jetlagged already getting walloped with a $40 charge for being a couple of kilos over might be a bit annoying.

She shouldn't have a problem. The wife and I recently flew Thai domestic after an international flight. We had no problems checking in one 32kg suitcase and the other 29kg. On domestic checkin the lady said they have an unwritten rule that allows overweight bags for passengers connecting from international flights.

On normal domestic flights I frequently check in suitcases weighing 25kg without excess baggage charges.

bangkok to chiang mai. only a short hop and it's the early flight so i can't imagine it will be full anyway. am sure she won't have any bother but if she's jetlagged already getting walloped with a $40 charge for being a couple of kilos over might be a bit annoying.

Can you share any more details re: her journey? You mention jet-lag so know I'm thinking maybe she has an international in-bound flight, XXX-BKK-CNX? IF so, more details would help. If on a single ticket international segments often allow for extra limits which carry-over to the domestic segment. Does she have any status with TG or a Star Alliance partner?

Edited by lomatopo

Can you share any more details re: her journey? You mention jet-lag so know I'm thinking maybe she has an international in-bound flight, XXX-BKK-CNX? IF so, more details would help. If on a single ticket international segments often allow for extra limits which carry-over to the domestic segment. Does she have any status with TG or a Star Alliance partner?

I would confirm that I've carried 31 kgs of hold-luggage, on a 20kg-ticket domestic-flight with Thai, because they could see from the labels that I had just come off an international-flight with another airline.

Even easier would be to try to book her luggage (allowed with some but not all carriers) through to CNX, and clear Customs there, if she is indeed flying into BKK from overseas.

Good Luck !

I was told by a senior member of Thai Air staff that they would take up to 30kg which I have done. It is to help out the poor blokes that have to lift the bags, not cargo weight or fuel prices as stated by many other airlines. I once had 35kgs at BKK and had to pay excess of 5 kgs. Never a problem with 25kgs between Perth and BKK

Does she have a frequent flyer card.

Silver (that you can get from the miles from one return trip to the UK, with a ticket eligible for miles), raises your allowance to 30kg. Gold to 40kg.

I remember when we moved to Thailand, 2 adults + 2 kids, 4 silver cards, and we were 140kg in baggage when weighed and it was just let through with no charge. (The lack of seatback TVs is the only issue I have with Thai. Their service otherwise is great.)

we tried to take too much through on a flight from bkk to CM and they weren't very flexable with us wanting to charge us an extra 500 baht or something, but the check in clerk was young and sticking to the rules type.

luckely we had packed an extra light bag and carried the extra on the plane.

in all the comotion we left one carry bag at the check in desk and they kindly sent it on the next flight for us.

good luck.

yes have to say thai air were no bother about it and very helpful to be honest. her hold luggage was just over 22kgs and they made no fuss or bones about it, just let it go. which is always nice when you're a bit jetlagged from a long-haul flight. thumbs up for thai airways.