Russian Tourists Stranded Including 340 In Phuket

webfact

Russian tourists stranded including 340 in Phuket

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The bankruptcy of one of the largest tour operators in Russia has left thousands of Russian tourists stranded around the globe, including 340 in Phuket.

Soopakij Chearavanont, Russian Honorary Consul for Greater Phuket, said the sudden bankruptcy of Lanta Tour Voyage has cost Phuket resorts from tens to hundreds of thousands of baht.

Most of the Russians stranded bought tours of 10 days or longer, staying at resorts in Patong and Kata-Karon, he said.

Some of the tourists have already checked out. The consulate’s mission now is to take care of those still in Phuket by negotiating 40% discounts on room rates. Tourist Police are also involved in the negotiations, he said.

The hotels will suffer more than the tourists, who can be reimbursed through their travel insurance when they return to Russia. Most of the Russians stranded have enough cash on hand to comfortably cope with the ordeal, he said.

Mr Soopakij said the scandal was a tough lesson for Phuket hotel owners about the Russian market, which is now the single largest source of inbound tourists to Phuket.

Russian authorities will have to take steps both in Russia and its outbound markets to better guarantee hotels and other tourism businesses are reimbursed for services provided on credit, he said.

Meanwhile, a source familiar with the Russian market in Phuket said the collapse of Lanta Tour has left over 20 "sitting guides" out of work and unpaid for work already performed.

The sitting guides were hired at a rate of 800 baht per day to ride along with the tour group in order to meet Thai labor law requirements, the source said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12215.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-06

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just arrived in Bangkok yesterday after 10 days in Moscow , big noise over there about Lanta tour and stranded tourist around the world. but nobody can do anything except to pay their trip back home. I feel sorry for those people .. I was stranded in dubai few years ago when the airport was closed by the yellow shirts. I know what it means ...

The reason for the credit is these tour operators will not pay until the hotels etc send back vouchers. This way the tour operator can make extra profit if people cancel. Large operators have it all over smallish and medium sized hotels and tour operators. Thats life in the travel industry. It has sucked for thirty years both to Agents and clients.

"The sitting guides were hired at a rate of 800 baht per day to ride along with the tour group in order to meet Thai labor law requirements, the source said."

The law exists before they started business, Farang cannot be a tour guide in Thailand. They should have invest the money into training Thai guides understand Russian, not used Russians working illegally.

• Like 1

I finally figured out where to sign in on the new ThaiVisa forum. Its as confusing as the new Gmail!

Seems like the tour owners, like many local business owners, live financially one day at a time. Worst yet, if they new that bankruptcy was looming in a few days, it would have been considerate for them to forewarn and refund tourists. If there was a financial punishment for being so inconsiderate, then maybe they would have handled this with more consideration of their customers.

Soopakij Chearavanont, Russian Honorary Consul for Greater Phuket,and resident Thai genius has made a case that Russians will not be hurt over this, since they all have travel insurance, but the resorts are the ones who will truly suffer. Someone should explain to this simple minded goombah that many of the Russian tourists booked a package tour, as their funds were very limited, and that most travelers do not get travel insurance. Meanwhile the resort operators are faced with the hardship of only building one new resort this year, as they have lost a little bit of cash on this deal. At 60% of the rate, they are still covering their expenses, while the Russian travelers will probably never recover one baht. Typical Thai reasoning, with zero common sense.

Do you know the Russian requirements? Maybe a travel insurance is compulsory there for these trips.

On this deal they seem to have lost all cash. Where did you get the 60% from?

Edited by stevenl

"The sitting guides were hired at a rate of 800 baht per day to ride along with the tour group in order to meet Thai labor law requirements, the source said."

The law exists before they started business, Farang cannot be a tour guide in Thailand. They should have invest the money into training Thai guides understand Russian, not used Russians working illegally.

Russian language is more than a little tricky and I completely understand why a company would want to use Russians for the job of Russian tour guides. Lets not lose sight of the fact that many Thai laws are there to benefit certain Thai's more than others.

We can't expect Thai's to learn all the languages that visit Thailand as effectively as is necessary, if the general level of competence in English is anything to go on then look out.

Its a shame these people will have to bail themselves out. They have had a terrible past and for many I imagine its a holiday of a lifetime.

Edited by Pui
  • Like 1

As an ex hotel exec for many years i see that there are a few things that apparently the phuket hotels have not yet learned.

1. Do not give any tour company credit unless they can provide you with either a substantial cash deposit or a bank letter of credit or some other form guaranteeing that you will get paid. Otherwise it is cash or certified check required upon check in..otherwise no keys are distributed. EVER.

2. Never be so anxious to get business that you forget rule number 1.

I have seen many tour operators and airlines go bust over the years leaving many vendors having to deal with their passengers. Some busts are due to poor management, selling too cheaply, bad cash flow etc. Some are due to tour companies collecting money well in advance of travel and gambling it in the stock market or pissing it all away or stealing the funds rather than paying the vendors. Many hotels continue to accept the bookings and extend credit and when the tour company gets in trouble of course they end up holding the bag usually for about 60 to 90 days worth of business as most will let the tour company string them out that far on payments.

Kiss the money good bye and institute some proper policies or it will happen again with a different tour company.

• Like 2

Too many people travel without really having the funds to do so.

A company offering (cheap) package holidays can and sometimes will go bankrupt. Each travelers responsability to have a contingency plan (enough funds) to return home. Otherwise best would have been to never travel abroad anyway.

Edited by eagleflyinghigh

i wonder if the stranded tourists will get a discount on tuk tuk rides during the rest of their stay

what are you dreaming, anyway, most of them cant afford to go by the tuktuk gangsters anyway...

I feel really sorry for the tourism industry which are charging the tourists by person while the hotel charge by room.... In Thailand you pay for the ROOM, doesnt matter if there are 1 or 2 people sleeping inside.

I dont understand it anyway here with the Russians and WHY they work everywhere. You see them driving MiniBusses, doing Tours around the island and I guess to Phang Nga too.... They work as tour guides... They open Restaurants and cook and serve by themselfs... Some of them even dance in Windows in Soi Bangla or walking the streets for......

Until know I always thought there is a little bit law in Thailand....

Most of the Russians here I met are poor people, many of them from Siberia, Novosibirsk without much money. They are at all inclusive tours with bed, breakfast and lunch, That explains why you never see them around in Restaurants....ok for most of them even Ketchup is to spicy and they hate all Thaifood except Fish in FIshrestaurants.... They must have made big deals in Russia for making Thailand so popular....There are no Germans, French, Italians, and Scandinavians anymore here in Phuket...for them the island is by far too noisy and to crappy, to overloaded with cars and traffic and by far not cheap anymore..... SO lets bring on the Russians and the Chinese...at least the Hotels and Airlines will make some money then

• Like 1

Russian market, which is now the single largest source of inbound tourists to Phuket.

Wow must be a lot of Russians running phuket now

Just take a look round Pattaya these day. Russians everywhere and many Russian staffed clubs as well.

The Russiand are stranded here as well. See this article from Pattaya One (Also a ThaiVisa sponsor)

"The fallout from the collapse of the Russian Tour Company Lanta-Tour continues here in Pattaya with Police revealing that 341 Russian Tourists in Pattaya are currently without a return ticket to Russia."

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/48011/pattaya-police-assist-stranded-tourists-collapse-russian-tour-company/

a typicl charter tourist as above pay their trip (hotel and airfare) months before travelling, so why the need of Phuket hotels to give charter company credit? Come on Phuket Hoteliers, payment or CC on check in

Freddy Laika aiways ?

Sucks for them but maybe this will reduce the hoard of Russian tourists to Thailand (fingers cross). Doubt it though. The Thai government could literally shoot every Russian as they get of their plane and broadcast it on TV across the world and they would still come in droves on these low budget tours. Especially to Pattaya which I never understood anyone going to who wasn't a single man or with a Thai girl at least.

Before I thought they just had no idea and were being lied to by tour operators but Thailand is the #2 tourist destination for Russians now (why, God, why!?). It's not like there aren't websites and other Russians to tell them that Pattaya isn't a wonderful place to bask on white sand beaches with your wife/girlfriend/17 year old you paid to join you.