Dogs And Cats

anyone have any experience getting a dog or cat into thailand from US?

Technically you are suppiosed to stop at the animal quarantine office (located near the luggage carousels), fill out some forms, and have a cursory (VERY cursory) "exam" done by government vet. I bring my cat in and out of the country several times a year and have never bothered...everytime I glance in the Animal Quarantine room there is either nobody there or the official is asleep. Also, there was once a post from somebody who did this and wound up with all manner of expense and hassle, I think because the arrival was outside of working hours so she had to pay for a private vet to come in and do it. (the exam basically consists of taking the animal's temperature and then stamping a lot of forms -- at least that's how it goes when you apply to take an animal out of country by plane).

Anyhow I always just walk on out...but my pet is a cat and the case I have for her from a distance doesn't look like an obvious pet case. If it is a medium to large dog and/or if it will be in an obvious cage, there's a chance you'd be stopped from walking through and told to go to Animal Quarantine first. Suggest making sure your arrival is on a weekday during working hours just in case. And of course, have vaccination certificates on hand. Good idea to have a photocopy of the rabies vaccine certificate and photocopy of you passport as they may require that, they do when issuing an "export" permit and I suspect the procedure is much the same. (I have to go through the "export" procedure every time I take my cat on the plane with me. Used to be Thai Airways would allow with just proof of rabies vaccination but about a year ago they started to insist on the export form from Animal Quarantine.

You are required to fill in 3 forms upon arrival at the airport one form ROR 6 is an authorisation form to bring into, or transit animals via Thailand, another form ROR 7 is a permission form to bring animals into Thailand and form KOR SOR KOR 102 is an application for special importation.

You may be required to pay fees on the forms and also import duty unless your pet will be in Thailand for 6 months or less.

You will also need to produce an identity certificate for your pet which has been signed in the US by a registered veterinarian, describing age, breed, sex, colour, etc.

A rabies vaccination certificate, showing that your pet has been vaccinated at least 15 days prior to departure.

A Leptospirosis vaccination certificate, at least 21 days prior to departure.

Your pet must be healthy and free from any sign of infectious or contagious disease.

Your pet should also have been resident in the US for not less than 6 months before date of departure.

You are required to fill in 3 forms upon arrival at the airport one form ROR 6 is an authorisation form to bring into, or transit animals via Thailand, another form ROR 7  is a permission form to bring animals into Thailand and form KOR SOR KOR 102 is an application for special importation.

You may be required to pay fees on the forms and also import duty unless your pet will be in Thailand for 6 months or less.

You will also need to produce an identity certificate for your pet which has been signed in the US by a registered veterinarian, describing age, breed, sex, colour, etc.

A rabies vaccination certificate, showing that your pet has been vaccinated at least 15 days prior to departure.

A Leptospirosis vaccination certificate, at least 21 days prior to departure.

Your pet must be healthy and free from any sign of infectious or contagious disease.

Your pet should also have been resident in the US for not less than 6 months before date of departure.

Any idea what the implications are if the cat came from Thailand, was abroad only a short while (e.g. 2-4 weeks) and is now being brought back? As mentioned before I usually just stroll on through but good to know so I can have all the necessary in hand in case. Would have the paperwork from Thai Animal Quarantine approving her "export" a few weeks back plus a health/identity card signed by a vet in Cambodia and proof of vaccination. Enough?

Alas that they don't issue passports for cats! Mine is rightfully Thai by birth....she just divides her time between Thailand and Cambodia like I do.