Why Are Cars So Expensive In Thailand?

airconsult

How much is a speeding ticket in the US, when you drive with 200kmh?

We don't drive 200kph. We drive 124mph. :) I have to really be careful when I go back. It's always my goal to get through the visit without getting a ticket. In some states, going 25mph over posted speed limit will get your license removed on the spot. 10 years ago I paid about $400USD for going 100 in a 65. That was cheap compared to what it would be now.

55? You must have been there in the '70s

Most 2 lane roads outside cities are still 55. I feel like an injured turtle back home.

Not sure where you’re driving, but I get back several times a year and I just don’t see many 55 MPH speed limit signs.

Actually, I think you have a big enough tank and can “hold-it” long enough, you can drive the ten from coast to coast at 65-75 MPH (105-120 KPH) without having to stop.

• 6 years later...
On 2/11/2012 at 10:01 AM, katabeachbum said:

hehehe, 1996 driving from NY to Atlanta to check out some used Porsches, kept a very modest 140kmh/some 80mph cruisingspeed on the excellent roads. Pulled over, cop with gun in hand, "your gonna get yourself killed at those speeds". Dont remember the fine

Driving in the US aint fun and its slooow

Depends on where you get nailed. I was pulled over in Camarillo, California on the 101 Freeway hauling along at a sedate 85 mph, driving to a golf lesson on a leisurely Sunday morning. I saw the trooper tailing me, checked my speed and didn’t ease off a bit. He finally switched on his lights and pulled me over. This a decent fellow indeed.  He asked me where I was going in such a hurry and I told him, honestly and unabashed.  Then he shocked me, saying “hey man, I didn’t pull you over to give you a ticket, but just wanted to gawk at your car! (an AMG Benz, a plain-Jane looking racing car).  He did warn me to be a tad more careful, as some of his brethren were not as tolerant and never, ever weave across lanes at any speed. That was a lightning rod to state cops anywhere. 

• 8 months later...

My theory is that, since all imports are so expensive, there is no reason for the local made cars be sold at low prices. They are priced at such a rate that you would still buy locally made while maximizing their profits. Cars are even more expensive here than in Hong Kong, where all cars are imported and have much higher tax rate than Thailand.

8 hours ago, beleebala said:

My theory is that, since all imports are so expensive, there is no reason for the local made cars be sold at low prices. They are priced at such a rate that you would still buy locally made while maximizing their profits. Cars are even more expensive here than in Hong Kong, where all cars are imported and have much higher tax rate than Thailand.

If you are happy with a Pick up Truck.. they are extremely cheap. I would say they are cheaper as back in Europe.

Asian Cars (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) are more or less equal in price to Europe!

But the BMW, Benz, Lamborgini, ... are much much more expensive than in Europe.

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

If you are happy with a Pick up Truck.. they are extremely cheap. I would say they are cheaper as back in Europe.

Asian Cars (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) are more or less equal in price to Europe!

But the BMW, Benz, Lamborgini, ... are much much more expensive than in Europe.

Not so sure pickups are extremely cheap here. Just had a look at a new 2019 Triton 4X4 price in Australia, it's just over A$38,000 which equates to 795,000 baht. Pretty sure a 4X4 cost nearly a million baht here.

As stated before. New cars NOT assembled in Thailand are hit with a 328% import tax. Cars and trucks assembled in Thailand are not hit with this tax but have to pay the import tax on parts as the parts are put together to make a car. I think the import tax on parts is 20-25% so that is why cars and trucks here are expensive here.

11 hours ago, beleebala said:

... than in Hong Kong, where all cars are imported and have much higher tax rate than Thailand.

This is incorrect, HKG has no vehicle import tax, and HKG vehicle registration and license fees amount to under 50% of vehicle value. Compare with >300% for Thailand.

Edited by Sam Lin
  • Like 1