Manuka Honey In Chiang Mai

Gladiator

As I recall this on the shelves at Waitrose (a supermarket in London) there are grades of this stuff with a big difference in price. Same brand, same quantity but with different grading, +10 or +15 for example, would have a different price. Posts above seem to be quoting simply on quantity.

As I recall this on the shelves at Waitrose (a supermarket in London) there are grades of this stuff with a big difference in price. Same brand, same quantity but with different grading, +10 or +15 for example, would have a different price. Posts above seem to be quoting simply on quantity.

I like spreading honey on toast, not on my body .... 555

High prices are charged for 'anti-bacterial' content. I'm quoting plain old Manuka honey straight from the bees without being tested for methylglyoxal.

• 4 weeks later...

re .. Chiang Mai Pure Honey have plenty of medicinal honey. They are located on Chang Klan road

here .. about 400 yards to the left of burger king : )

dave2

To the left if you are facing Burger King to the right if your back is to it.

As for the medicinal values I know nothing. I buy Bee pollen there. I have Diabetes and I read that honey is worse for my blood sugar level so I avoid it.

And no I don't know what the medicinal value of the Bee Pollen is. I just believed a friend who said it was a help to good health,

Ok so I stood facing Burger king and went left for 400 M and I ended up at the Duan tawan hotel??

The honey shop is south of Loi Kroh/The Dukes, on left hand side of Chang Klan as you head south.

CORRECTION : honey shop is north of Loi Kroh/The Dukes, on right hand side as you head north on Chang Klan.

Sorry for any confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bottle of honey and when I opened it it kind of fizzed and lots of white foam, similar to a very light head on beer, came up to the top and is still a bit there a few weeks later. The bottle was not sealed very well. I've read that honey doesn't go bad but never seen this, anybody know what it might be?

I bought a bottle of honey and when I opened it it kind of fizzed and lots of white foam, similar to a very light head on beer, came up to the top and is still a bit there a few weeks later. The bottle was not sealed very well. I've read that honey doesn't go bad but never seen this, anybody know what it might be?

Maybe it wasn't really honey? There is a lot of fakery in the honey business nowadays. There was an extensive article in the New York Times (I think) about so called filtered honey. If you filter honey, you take out the pollen grains the presence of which is the usual way to establish whether a syrup is honey or not. The only reason that makes sense to claim that what you're selling is filtered honey, is if it isn't honey at all. It could also be that they diluted the honey with enough water so that yeast could thrive.

the second explanation makes sense esp. in the warm temp of storage. I bought it at Baker's Friend which I consider to be a good place but I know their are many fakes around some tasting too sweet as it's most likely sweetener (sugar cane?)

• 2 months later...

I have tried to research it and I can't find any reason why the stuff with the "mother" is any better than normal raw apple cider vinegar, but it is twice the price. I have stopped going for the expensive brands with the "mother" as it seems like a waste of money to me.

I don't know about 'the mother' - never heard of it - but apple cider vinegar has hundreds of uses around the house, especially kitchen. My favourite use for it is in the washing machine. Fabric softener leaves a silicon coating which builds up after a dozen or so washes, a cup full of apple cider vinegar in with the wash strips it all off and gives nice and fluffy fresh towels again. As well as other clothes/bedding of course.

I've recently met someone here in CM who told me he had developed a product - I think he said he was a doctor (English) and has been researching and experimenting with Manuka Honey for years before coming up with whatever this thing is. PM if you want his email address. Not an endorsement, I've only met him once but he seems very passionate about his product.

With anything like the honey which is too heavy to ship, I make it known to all friends back home that if they or anyone they know will be heading to Thailand for a holiday or business trip, to ask if they would mind bringing something 3 or 4kg for me. We are orginginally English, lived in NZ for almost 2 years then in Australia for 18 years, so we're fortunate to have lots of people either coming to Thailand or know of someone who is. Don't even have to be in CM - internal postage in Thailand is reasonable enough. I usually order online and get the item/s delivered to the person who will be coming over. My last visitor (from England) brought me 2kg PG Tips teabags and 3 bottles of Ariel Gel Washing Liquid. And 1.5kg of Parmesan. We always encourage people to travel light in case they buy a lot of things over here (not for selfish reasons, of course).

Perhaps if enough people want Manuka honey, some kind of co-operative could be set up - a fairly large order together with combined postage would knock a bit off the price. I'm not volunteering to set this up, but for those of you who use it, it could be an idea, and not only for CM but all over Thailand.

EDIT: Fake honey? Is there anything in the world that can't be faked now?

Edited by Konini

I found this, sounds very logic to me:

"The magic ingredient appears to be the fermentation process produced by using whole, fresh apples. It produces a stringy, magic seahorse looking, cloud formation that settles to the bottom of the completed mixture. Strange looking, yes. However, this is where all the healthful enzymes live. Acetic acid is formed in this settlement. So, along with apples` naturally occurring benefits, such as high fiber pectin, vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, folic acid, niacin, carbohydrates and minerals like calcium, magnesium and zinc, it all combines to create a multi-tasking healthy fortifier. Appropriately enough, this wholesome settlement is called the "mother." But take note, this healthy cocktail is only found in organic apple cider vinegar, not the one you buy in the salad dressing aisle at your local supermarket."

http://www.naturalne...ealth_food.html

Edited by Joop50

I have tried to research it and I can't find any reason why the stuff with the "mother" is any better than normal raw apple cider vinegar, but it is twice the price. I have stopped going for the expensive brands with the "mother" as it seems like a waste of money to me.

I don't know about 'the mother' - never heard of it - but apple cider vinegar has hundreds of uses around the house, especially kitchen. My favourite use for it is in the washing machine. Fabric softener leaves a silicon coating which builds up after a dozen or so washes, a cup full of apple cider vinegar in with the wash strips it all off and gives nice and fluffy fresh towels again. As well as other clothes/bedding of course.

I've recently met someone here in CM who told me he had developed a product - I think he said he was a doctor (English) and has been researching and experimenting with Manuka Honey for years before coming up with whatever this thing is. PM if you want his email address. Not an endorsement, I've only met him once but he seems very passionate about his product.

With anything like the honey which is too heavy to ship, I make it known to all friends back home that if they or anyone they know will be heading to Thailand for a holiday or business trip, to ask if they would mind bringing something 3 or 4kg for me. We are orginginally English, lived in NZ for almost 2 years then in Australia for 18 years, so we're fortunate to have lots of people either coming to Thailand or know of someone who is. Don't even have to be in CM - internal postage in Thailand is reasonable enough. I usually order online and get the item/s delivered to the person who will be coming over. My last visitor (from England) brought me 2kg PG Tips teabags and 3 bottles of Ariel Gel Washing Liquid. And 1.5kg of Parmesan. We always encourage people to travel light in case they buy a lot of things over here (not for selfish reasons, of course).

Perhaps if enough people want Manuka honey, some kind of co-operative could be set up - a fairly large order together with combined postage would knock a bit off the price. I'm not volunteering to set this up, but for those of you who use it, it could be an idea, and not only for CM but all over Thailand.

Fake eggs in China....

• Like 1

Fake eggs in China

I'm not sure if I should laugh at the stupidness, be in awe of the invention, or be afraid because I may have eaten these things without knowing. This is a real eye-opener - anyone who hasn't watched the youtube video please do. Is nothing sacred?

Edited by Konini

Why not go to a bee farm? We have one in saraphi for example. I've not been there yet, but going to the actual farm and seeing how the honey is made is the best way to be assured you get what you want!

At ban suan pak, the health food shop near the presidents hotel, they have both raw honey for sale, and organic honey for sale, maybe even organic raw, i can't remember. And she's not going to mislabel her products. In addition she sells both royal jelly and royal jelly capsules. This product is amazing stuff, and will do you more good than honey.

That's what I do - go directly to a bee keeper. The honey must not have been heat treated or filtered. Filtering removes pollen and heating kills the enzymes. Nice clear honey in a jar just tastes good. It will do some good things according to old wives tales and personal experience. I use it in place of cough syrup and one teaspoon works wonders for me, even if it's filtered and pasturized. YMMV.

No No, there are no resellers in Thailand who would add color and flavor to ordinary honey and label it as Manuka honey. No, never, of course not.

Edited by NeverSure

Why not go to a bee farm? We have one in saraphi for example. I've not been there yet, but going to the actual farm and seeing how the honey is made is the best way to be assured you get what you want!

At ban suan pak, the health food shop near the presidents hotel, they have both raw honey for sale, and organic honey for sale, maybe even organic raw, i can't remember. And she's not going to mislabel her products. In addition she sells both royal jelly and royal jelly capsules. This product is amazing stuff, and will do you more good than honey.

That's what I do - go directly to a bee keeper. The honey must not have been heat treated or filtered. Filtering removes pollen and heating kills the enzymes. Nice clear honey in a jar just tastes good. It will do some good things according to old wives tales and personal experience. I use it in place of cough syrup and one teaspoon works wonders for me, even if it's filtered and pasturized. YMMV.

No No, there are no resellers in Thailand who would add color and flavor to ordinary honey and label it as Manuka honey. No, never, of course not.

Do you now or have you ever lived in Thailand?

• 1 month later...

Officially Rob under the free trade agreement the duty on honey is down to 9% and phases out to zero in a couple more years.

If you airfreight small quantities you may be under the radar.

We have tried importing into Thailand commercially but the customs officers here do not recognise the free trade agreement . That is the Thai way.

Therefore, although we have some stocks available in Chiang Mai , will probably not stock again because our experience has been high freight and no duty for small lots and high duty with low freight for larger lots. Neither way is very economic .

I have provided details of my experiences with the Trade section of the NZ Embassy in BKK but they are powerless to intervene in the duty situation as this is Thailand , a sovereign country which can break international agreements with immunity! I have also provided copies of the Free Trade agreement to Dept of Customs in Bangkok and was told it is tough luck that that agreement does not apply for every importer !

Hence we are concentrating our manuka honey exports into China, a much more regulated economy where all tend to sing from the same sheet of paper.

Cheers and Kia Ora to you .

Is there any import tax/duty on honey?

I could bring 8 x 250g of Manuka in for ~ 600 bt each if sufficient interest. Airfreight is major cost sad.png

• Like 1

Do you now or have you ever lived in Thailand?

Honey diluting and adulteration is one of the oldest frauds known to man.

Even when its pure it still very high fructose. Some honey can be 80%+ fructose. There is some good stuff in honey but many consider the drawbacks to outweigh benefits when it comes to insulin, blood glucose and body fat.

might be a bit wiser to take the pollen and royal jelly etc

• 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...