Alleged 'Call Center' Gang Of Expats Busted In Phuket

webfact

Alleged 'call center' gang of expats busted in Phuket

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12231BNxGgBPSTldpcvEPKnVwgiXqFF.jpg

The three Filipino suspects (seated), with arresting officers at the Tourist Police office in Phuket Town.

PHUKET: -- Phuket Tourist Police arrested three Filipino members of an alleged ‘call center’ gang for fraud, but the alleged mastermind, a Briton, remains at large.

Nakkaphan Phota of the regional Tourist Police office in Phuket Town told the Gazette yesterday that all of the suspects were foreigners.

Following a tip-off from the Crime Suppression Division in Bangkok, three suspects were arrested on Saturday and charged with “fraud and the import of illegal computer systems containing false information,” he said.

The three were identified as: Aubry Pengson, 31; Sarabeth Servit, 31; and Henry King Lee, 28. All are listed as Filipino nationals.

Lt Col Nakkaphan said both Miss Aubry and Miss Sarabeth were previously arrested on similar charges by Wang Thong Lang District Police in Bangkok, then released on bail. They moved to Phuket and went to work for a British man named Paul Antony Barret, who set up an office at 246/3 Phang Muang Sai Kor road in Patong, Phuket, he said.

Seized as evidence from his premises was one desktop computer, five laptops, a bank book, ATM card, one telephone, and eight mobile phones.

All three suspects admitted they were employed by Mr Barret, whose current whereabouts are unknown. Police are searching for him, but fear he may have slipped out of the country.

“This call center gang defrauded people by posing as investment brokers over the phone. They invited people to invest in commodities like gold and oil stocks. They made their operation appear legitimate by referencing an existing website hosted abroad,” he said.

“People who believed [in them] transferred funds. Many people have fallen for it, resulting in losses of over 20 million baht. Most of the unfortunate victims are foreigners, many of whom have contacted the British Embassy regarding the case,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12231.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-07

Well, call me crazy, but anyone who invests in anything with just a phone call and no visit to an office or no meeting of any kind is kind of asking for it. But even meeting the people is no guarantee.........especially in places like BKK, Pattaya, or Phuket!!!

• Like 2

Well, call me crazy, but anyone who invests in anything with just a phone call and no visit to an office or no meeting of any kind is kind of asking for it. But even meeting the people is no guarantee.........especially in places like BKK, Pattaya, or Phuket!!!

+ 1

This is how many people I trust with my money.. 0
  • Like 1

I have a treasure map leading to some Japanese gold left behind in the Philippines at the end of the Pacific War . Due to my strict religous background I cannot go and dig up the gold myself , but I am allowed to pass the map on to you if you make a donation to my church. I am only making you this offer because you seem like a really nice person and I like you a lot .

Lame. You've got a lot to learn from the Nigeria 219 scammers. cool.png They actually do still find victims, which surprises me.

I have a treasure map leading to some Japanese gold left behind in the Philippines at the end of the Pacific War . Due to my strict religous background I cannot go and dig up the gold myself , but I am allowed to pass the map on to you if you make a donation to my church. I am only making you this offer because you seem like a really nice person and I like you a lot .

Lame. You've got a lot to learn from the Nigeria 219 scammers. cool.png They actually do still find victims, which surprises me.

True story , I was tested by a friendly workmate , it was all very serious , he was just playing the odds because I look like I was born yesterday .

If thats the same map Marcos had I think I will pass on your kind offer.

If thats the same map Marcos had I think I will pass on your kind offer..

Fling us a few bob m'Lord

Edited by onionluke

True story , I was tested by a friendly workmate , it was all very serious , he was just playing the odds because I look like I was born yesterday .

LOL! And, do you still work together?

LOL! And, do you still work together?

No , it was a few years back , it was all "let's go for a drink , I have a business proposition " , the guy was an architect .