Fabio Capello Resigns

SimonD

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/16983864

"I don't see what we've gained under his term as manager," said Coates, who also sits on the FA's international committee.

"When they talk about qualifying for these competitions, I just can't go along with that. If we can't qualify for major tournaments, we are failing abysmally because we're seeded to get through. It should be a matter of course.

"I wouldn't give any manager great praise for achieving something that should be routine.

"You have to get into the last four [of major tournaments], if you've done that, you've done a good job"

Completely agree with that, and agree that Capello should have been fired after 2010. Also agree with the below. My suspicion is he wanted out anyway and the Terry situation simply provided the opportunity to do that and yet appear not like he was running away, but like he was making some sort of higher moral stand.

Coates agreed with the FA's actions and feels Capello could have used the situation to engineer his exit.

"It was very difficult decision for the FA, and I think they got it right," he said.

"They should have had Capello as part of the discussion, that's what would normally happen at a football club.

"But the cynic in me says he might have manipulated this. He might have decided that was his opportunity to get out and he's taken it."

Edited by rixalex

"I don't see what we've gained under his term as manager," said Coates, who also sits on the FA's international committee.

"When they talk about qualifying for these competitions, I just can't go along with that. If we can't qualify for major tournaments, we are failing abysmally because we're seeded to get through. It should be a matter of course.

"I wouldn't give any manager great praise for achieving something that should be routine.

"You have to get into the last four [of major tournaments], if you've done that, you've done a good job"

Completely agree with that, and agree that Capello should have been fired after 2010. Also agree with the below. My suspicion is he wanted out anyway and the Terry situation simply provided the opportunity to do that and yet appear not like he was running away, but like he was making some sort of higher moral stand.

Coates agreed with the FA's actions and feels Capello could have used the situation to engineer his exit.

"It was very difficult decision for the FA, and I think they got it right," he said.

"They should have had Capello as part of the discussion, that's what would normally happen at a football club.

"But the cynic in me says he might have manipulated this. He might have decided that was his opportunity to get out and he's taken it."

Good aricle and i agree. To my mind all this did was give him the oppotunity to get out.

I also think its a measure of Englands footballing demise that qualification alone seems worthy of such celebration when it should be routine.

I say this but fortunately i have little interest in international football. i was disgusted with capello for reinstating Terry as i was with the hypocritical FA for endorsing it.

Good aricle and i agree. To my mind all this did was give him the oppotunity to get out.

I also think its a measure of Englands footballing demise that qualification alone seems worthy of such celebration when it should be routine.

I say this but fortunately i have little interest in international football. i was disgusted with capello for reinstating Terry as i was with the hypocritical FA for endorsing it.

Completely agree.

And it's funny isn't it, people saying that the English think they have some god-given right to do well, and yet as you and as the article says, we celebrate getting through qualifying these days. Do arrogant people who think they are going to win every competition, as we have been painted in this thread by some, celebrate qualifying as some great achievement? I don't think they do.

Anyway, like you, after all the Terry business, and then 2018 / 2022 World Cup nonsense, my interest is at an all time low. Having an English manager might spark some renewed interest, but just being English won't be enough - he will have to start by dropping all the dead wood we have around, and bringing in fresh new faces. If all he does is what Capello did - speak about playing players in form but then throw that completely out the window come competition time - we'll be no better off than we were.

I see they are already dragging up an incident that happened between Pearce and Paul Ince 18 years ago !!

Obviously the odious English media have decided they cwant Redknapp so they will now go about the character assasination of Pearce, regardless of the damage it will do to the euro build up.

Nothing changes.

This whole business is a nightmare for Spurs. Were already left in total limbo.

Harrys going i'm convinced but when? The spineless FA wil appoint him because being the peoples choice anyway no one can grumble if he screws up. And screw up he will. International managers have to be switched on tactically. Harrys a dunce in that department. He will not have the time around the players to inject them with his infectious cockney charm which is the backbone of his management skill.

With all the media clamour, harry sending out an effective come and get me, surely the FA and Redknapp have to make a statement to some effect?

We also need time to find a replacement and for all the stupid talk the only free agent with the experience out there that i can see is Rafa Benitez.

The spineless FA wil appoint him because being the peoples choice anyway no one can grumble if he screws up.

I'm not so sure he is the people's choice though. Seems to be more the media that is driving his appointment.

I hope you beat Holland 5-0. I might even change my flight to Amsterdam to a few days earlier so I can go and cheer on Pearce's side. biggrin.png

The spineless FA wil appoint him because being the peoples choice anyway no one can grumble if he screws up.

I'm not so sure he is the people's choice though. Seems to be more the media that is driving his appointment.

Good afternoon Rix,

You are certainly right that the media are driving it. It will ofcourse take them time to destroy Pearce's credibility but destroy it the will. Harry will be offered the job, he'll take it, he'll soon start to realise what a mistake he's made when the media turn on him as they surely will and England will continue to be total crap.

I suppose it is concievable that Mourinho, if he does leave Madrid in the summer, would coach us until whiskey nose retires but i just can't see it. What i can see is Daniel Levy sitting down for a chat with Benitez in the very near future. Before anyone says 'Oh but Benitez will want big transfer funds, disagree immediately. I think he'd look at our squad,loaned out players and think to himself that apart from a couple of additions he's already got what he needs.

The appointment of the manager is hugely important in keeping a certain pair of players too.

Edited by carmine

Good afternoon Rix,

You are certainly right that the media are driving it. It will ofcourse take them time to destroy Pearce's credibility but destroy it the will. Harry will be offered the job, he'll take it, he'll soon start to realise what a mistake he's made when the media turn on him as they surely will and England will continue to be total crap.

I suppose it is concievable that Mourinho, if he does leave Madrid in the summer, would coach us until whiskey nose retires but i just can't see it. What i can see is Daniel Levy sitting down for a chat with Benitez in the very near future. Before anyone says 'Oh but Benitez will want big transfer funds, disagree immediately. I think he'd look at our squad,loaned out players and think to himself that apart from a couple of additions he's already got what he needs.

The appointment of the manager is hugely important in keeping a certain pair of players too.

Good point about Benitez and transfer funds - there are plenty available within the squad. But a bit like Mourinho, Benitez is probably a bit too much of a control freak for Levy. Also I think Benitez is the perfect choice to replace Mourinho at Real and that would be difficult to turn down.

BTW seems to me if Levy is looking for a free agent plus someone who has won practically everything, then surely Capello could be in the running. A little long in the tooth I guess but why not?

Also I still think that Moyes is quite likely. Yes he has never won anything but he is the longest serving manager in the PL after Ferguson and Wenger and has no money to play with. He also has a good youth record Rodwell, Barkley, Rooney etc....

Good afternoon Rix,

Good point about Benitez and transfer funds - there are plenty available within the squad. But a bit like Mourinho, Benitez is probably a bit too much of a control freak for Levy. Also I think Benitez is the perfect choice to replace Mourinho at Real and that would be difficult to turn down.

BTW seems to me if Levy is looking for a free agent plus someone who has won practically everything, then surely Capello could be in the running. A little long in the tooth I guess but why not?

Also I still think that Moyes is quite likely. Yes he has never won anything but he is the longest serving manager in the PL after Ferguson and Wenger and has no money to play with. He also has a good youth record Rodwell, Barkley, Rooney etc....

I think Benitez to Madrid is a likely one although his last year at Anfield and his time at Inter won't help his cause. However its not too difficult to rationalise both of those downward spirals.

I don't think Levy really reqiures any autonomy bar that of transfer dealings. Would you give someone control of your bank account?

I think Benitez would be fairly welcome too at WHL by the fans. He wouldn't get the sort of manlove he did at Anfield but he'd be given a fair crack of the whip. I'd rather look back at his earlier record at Liverpool and his tenure at Valencia.

Am i alone in thinking AVB will be booted and there will be the return of Morinho to Chelsea? That is if they qualify for the CL. I doubt Mourinho's ego would allow him to miss out on that.

Edited by carmine

Am i alone in thinking AVB will be booted and there will be the return of Morinho to Chelsea? That is if they qualify for the CL. I doubt Mourinho's ego would allow him to miss out on that.

Your'e not alone in thinking AVB will be ousted. But I just cannot see Mourinho going back to Chelsea (or rather Abramovich).

Your'e not alone in thinking AVB will be ousted. But I just cannot see Mourinho going back to Chelsea (or rather Abramovich).

Well ofcourse thats the battle of two huge egos. Roman would also have to stop meddling and acknowledge that Jose is much more important than the club. We could also be in the frame as his stepping stone to Fergusons sucession.

That might just put off your owners two as it would create a huge stink if he left City for Utd, wouldn't it?

Edited by carmine

Good afternoon Rix,

. He also has a good youth record Rodwell, Barkley, Rooney etc....

Re Moyes,

What do you mean he has a good youth record23.gif , a player is born and coached through his younger years neither of what Moyes would have had a great imput in.

Edited by alfieconn

We could also be in the frame as his stepping stone to Fergusons sucession.

That might just put off your owners two as it would create a huge stink if he left City for Utd, wouldn't it?

Not sure where you are getting this Mourinho to United speculation from carmine. I don't see that in the stars whatsoever. United will be looking for someone long term, not short, and the great one is only likely to give any job he does three years before he either gets bored, or people get bored of him.

If he does come to the Premiership i can only see him going to a low table club that has serious money - a QPR type situation. A place where he can make a big impact, and where he has power of the purse.

I think Benitez to Madrid is a likely one although his last year at Anfield and his time at Inter won't help his cause. However its not too difficult to rationalise both of those downward spirals.

I don't think Levy really reqiures any autonomy bar that of transfer dealings. Would you give someone control of your bank account?

I think Benitez would be fairly welcome too at WHL by the fans. He wouldn't get the sort of manlove he did at Anfield but he'd be given a fair crack of the whip. I'd rather look back at his earlier record at Liverpool and his tenure at Valencia.

Actually I think that it is very difficult to decide who Levy would choose. I doubt he would be driven by the 'fans favorite' for instance.

However, if you take a Mourinho, and things dont go his way, his natural approach will be something along the lines that I wasnt given the power over all the decisions in the first place.

One of the advantages of Moyes is that he has run the club for 10 years, had all his transfer fees taken away from him to pay off debts and hasnt blamed his owner for the fact that he had fuc_k all to make the club work. He would also have the decency to stay around if the club was successful while a Mourinho would simply use it as an excuse to take Spurs to a stepping stone to the ManU - the latest form of bling.

Personally I am not a great believer in the Hughes school of manager which is that if I stay at Fulham I wont win anything, so everybody will think I am crap.

There have been a couple of theoretical attempts to assign performance to the the quality of the team you have to manage.... This one is very good....(a little old I will admit)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:dUeK6SrFICYJ:www.icmacentre.ac.uk/files/discussion-papers/DP_2011_24.pdf+he+Performance+of+Football+Club+Managers:+Skill+or+Luck%3F&hl=en&gl=th&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjto06ypn_usnuNRk2DfrtIrbsWDT8FJ5yJHxeRlmu1_TaVZ5v2qkIVlBjbJZh9C53A6D-b5PgGAvSDtZkDFGjs7OW1MCfLSIMyNCNOU-xhL6rzgIRXLK_vpSX4OIm82XhfU2B9&sig=AHIEtbQyflrqoZIomnchJ78EgioEy2i7eQ

And this one that uses a slightly different approach is specifically related to Moyes....

http://transferpriceindex.com/2011/07/the-declining-fortunes-of-david-moyes-an-mxir-analysis/

which points out that he was the least expensive CL qualifier in the history of the Premier League

And on a slightly different note here is the statistical analysis why if Liverpool wished to give themselves a 50:50 chance of qualifying for a CL spot this year they needed to spend an additional 27m quid. So why you would think their spending would indicate a 'title challenge' as you stated in a previous post, I have little idea.

http://www.abeautifulnumbersgame.com/2011/02/finishing-in-premier-league-top-4.html

Re Moyes,

What do you mean he has a good youth record23.gif , a player is born and coached through his younger years neither of what Moyes would have had a great imput in.

Is that a serious question?

Or is it more along the lines that as Redknapp claims to be financially incompetent, totally disorganized, totally illiterate, tactically unaware and close to retirement, (we will forget about the offshore bank account and the bungs) he might not actually be the best manager that England could come up with?

Re Moyes,

Or is it more along the lines that as Redknapp claims to be financially incompetent, totally disorganized, totally illiterate, tactically unaware and close to retirement, (we will forget about the offshore bank account and the bungs) he might not actually be the best manager that England could come up with?

You write very long posts Abrak.

Try this.

Posh English TV presenter: "There was a touch of Kantian Positivism about your second goal John"

Footballer John: "Well Brian....er ....er...er...I just stuck me left peg out and it went in the back of the net"

If a pretty girl says: "Dont think too much baby" probably best to listen.

Get the drift Abrak?

Re Moyes,

Try this.

Posh English TV presenter: "There was a touch of Kantian Positivism about your second goal John"

Footballer John: "Well Brian....er ....er...er...I just stuck me left peg out and it went in the back of the net"

Get the drift Abrak?

Yours made less sense.

Re Moyes,

Try this.

Get the drift Abrak?

Yours made less sense.

Mai pen rai krab

Re Moyes,

Try this.

Get the drift Abrak?

Look I do get your drift?

How come someone like you has managed to evolve without extinction?

It is not a miracle - the cockroach has been around for pretty much ever.