Fabio Capello Resigns

I have a shock for some English compatriots, we Scots are not anti-English, we are anti Little Englander.

with respect mate i don't think you speak for all of scotland there.

i always liked renton's speech in trainspotting. i don't hate the english, they're just wanke_rs. we on the other hand are colonised by wanke_rs. can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by, we're ruled by effete <deleted>.

seemed spot on to me.

All this time you have been on here, you have been successfully pretending to be English. Now your cover has finally been blown and you are indeed a Sottish Scouser.

laugh.png

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yes, capello's record is the highest matches won %age of any england manager. flopped badly at the 2010 world cup but he's certainly been more successful than most. but he's undoubtedly been far too foreign for the english press to ever give him any leeway whatsoever.

I think the stats mislead a bit as they obviously take on board qualifying games, in which i'm sure he ranks highly, but if we were to simply look at stats for how well he has performed in actual competitions, i think a different story would be told. For me, it wasn't just our results in competitions though, it was the way he continually kowtowed to the big names when it came to the big games.

As for English press somehow giving him less leeway because he was foreign, you have got to be kidding. English press gives no leeway to any manager, no matter their origin - just look at the way English England managers have been treated by them in the past.

i think that the spanish squad for example has far more bona fide stars in it and yet their team manages to play as a cohesive unit. given that a lot of english players have plenty of ability, can only eventually put their consistent failures at international level down to attitudes and mentality.

Nah, if we are comparing Spain and England, the reason why Spain succeeds and England doesn't, is cos right at this moment in time, put simply, they have better players than we do.

i think that the spanish squad for example has far more bona fide stars in it and yet their team manages to play as a cohesive unit. given that a lot of english players have plenty of ability, can only eventually put their consistent failures at international level down to attitudes and mentality.

Nah, if we are comparing Spain and England, the reason why Spain succeeds and England doesn't, is cos right at this moment in time, put simply, they have better players than we do.

Thing is the young England players look very good indeed and already know Pearce well through the youth set up.

Its a no brainer in my opinion.

not least the three lions tubthumping garbage that comes around every tournament.

In other words, if you are proud to be English and happen to express that, you must be some sort of right-wing fascist nazi.

the we invented the game so we must by rights deserve to do well in tournaments nonsense.

You are confusing wanting to do well with feeling it a right. Have yet to meet an England supporter to express the view you suggest to be so common.

the premier league is the best league in the world hype which somehow means england must be brilliant by default.

I don't think it is hype and i don't think, considering the number of foreigners who play in it, there is any feeling by England supporters that by default England must be brilliant. If anyone tends to think that, i would suggest it's people outside the country. Have met a fair few Thais for instance who have that expectation.

Edited by rixalex

the casual xenophobia displayed by the country's neanderthal-courting media. the well these lads are paid a fortune so must be better than them american part-timers etc.

i don't think that is xenophobia, i'd say it is simply asking a fair question:.these guys have big price tags on their heads, and yet they perform no better than guys who don't.. why is that? Xenophobic not to wonder i'd say.

the disgusting golf club that is the FA.

Finally we agree.

everything about the england national football team set-up just stinks really.

Ah, back to the all the other national teams around the world are so much better, so much different, theme.

I think the stats mislead a bit as they obviously take on board qualifying games, in which i'm sure he ranks highly, but if we were to simply look at stats for how well he has performed in actual competitions, i think a different story would be told. For me, it wasn't just our results in competitions though, it was the way he continually kowtowed to the big names when it came to the big games.

he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't there though. you can't slate a manager for not gambling on kids in big games rix. he throws the kids in for a must-win and loses and then he's slaughtered for being both an idiot and for ruining youngsters' confidence.

As for English press somehow giving him less leeway because he was foreign, you have got to be kidding. English press gives no leeway to any manager, no matter their origin - just look at the way English England managers have been treated by them in the past.

they have continuously hammered him for 'not getting english football' and 'not understanding the players' on top of the usual results-based stuff dished out to robson, taylor, mclaren et al. if you haven't noticed that you've not been paying attention i don't think mate. there's been a massive undercurrent of xenophobia towards a man who has won more in his career than probably every england manager ever combined. no respect at all.

Ah, back to the all the other national teams around the world are so much better, so much different, theme.

i don't really care about other countries' teams rix and i'm not using them as a stick to beat england with here. the FA stinks. the english football system at county and district level, administered by the FA, stinks. many other countries, with far smaller populations and far, far tinier resources and budgets, continue to be more successful than england. i think the entire system is rotten. sorry if that upsets your sensibilities.

he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't there though. you can't slate a manager for not gambling on kids in big games rix. he throws the kids in for a must-win and loses and then he's slaughtered for being both an idiot and for ruining youngsters' confidence.

Why can't i slate him for it? When he came into the job, he promised players would get picked purely on merit, and players not in form would not. This proved to be complete bullshit.

And yes, there is a risk with throwing in the kids, but this is what managing is about - taking risks, being bold, having confidence and instilling it in the players. If the manager is too scared to take risks, why bother employ one? Just assemble all the big names and let a computer decide where to play them.

they have continuously hammered him for 'not getting english football' and 'not understanding the players' on top of the usual results-based stuff dished out to robson, taylor, mclaren et al. if you haven't noticed that you've not been paying attention i don't think mate. there's been a massive undercurrent of xenophobia towards a man who has won more in his career than probably every england manager ever combined. no respect at all.

I stand by my comment that the flack he has received has been pretty usual stuff and the xenophobia you perceive may have a lot to do with your own perception of the English media - not that i'm saying that perception is totally inaccurate - it isn't - i do think though it may have an affect on your reading of the situation. Or perhaps i just don't read the same rags as you?

i don't really care about other countries' teams rix and i'm not using them as a stick to beat england with here. the FA stinks. the english football system at county and district level, administered by the FA, stinks. many other countries, with far smaller populations and far, far tinier resources and budgets, continue to be more successful than england. i think the entire system is rotten. sorry if that upsets your sensibilities.

Doesn't upset my sensibilities and in fact, if you toned down some of it a degree, i would be inclined to agree, i just think you are one of the ones who loves to hate England, loves to see them fail (which of course they usually do), would be peeved if they succeeded, and seems to think everywhere else is doing things so much better.

All of a sudden it feels like there's a World Cup finals happening....

Stuart Pearce for England!

Stuart Pearce has limited experience, proven nothing and won nothing.

Harry Redknapp will come fully furnished with the experience of winning bugger all in his 30 years of football management,the difference is that he is proven at not being very good tactically.....everybody says he is a great man manager....NO HE IS NOT,again if he had a cupboard full of trophy's then yes you can see it,but he hasn't.

It will be the biggest mistake in England's history to appoint him,especially with the expectations the already frenzied media have built up with him.

In World football he will be ripped to pieces.