Mexican Food

jbowman1993

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to roll your own flour tortillas:

Two cups of flour, a TB of cooking oil (don't use too much or your tortillas will come out mealy--if you have access to shortening use that instead but if you are like me and don't then you will have to use oil) and enough water (dribble it in in small amounts--until the texture is right) to make the dough stick together but not wet. Flour your counter (I use a cloth and roll on that) heavily and get out your rolling pin. Flour that as well. Then get a small fistfull of dough, form it into a ball and put it on your counter. Roll it out, turn, roll, turn and roll (flouring your pin as you go to keep it from sticking) until you get it quite thin. Then, heat up a large non-stick skillet and place your tortilla on that. Heat until air pockets form, flip --another minute or so on the other side (air pockets forming again) then transfer to a plate. Practice makes perfect. Took me a few times experimenting until I got it right.

You now have a fresh warm tortilla, beats that storebought stuff by a mile.

Got any ideas for Corn tortillas with local products?

The flour tortilla that are sold here are OK but the corn are a different story

I saw tortillas in central chidlom yesterday

I went to Monday Mexican Buffet at Great American Rib last week and was disappointed... very overcooked and almost cold - felt like it had been sitting around for hours..

Oh, and note it's not really a BUFFET.. you choose 3 things from a list of 5 or 6.. and they should NUMBER these 6 items, since the waitresses have no idea what they are...

ChrisP

And I wonder why no-one has tried to open a Rubios or La Salsa (Fast Mex Food ex Calif/West USA) in BKK yet...??

ChrisP

Last night we went to a new Mexican food restaurant here in BKK...Coyote on Convent. Just off of Silom Road on Convent..

There is also a Coyote in Hong Kong where I have eaten many times... IMHO it is the best Mexican food in HK and this is the same group...

It is not cheap and they still seem to be working on their menu, but the experience was very good

Oh yes, Happy Hour til 7 PM...Great Margaritas

Went to Coyote last weekend. We triex to get in on Saturday night with 7 people, but were told it was at least an hour wait. So we went to Patsy's fiest, had a good time, but with VERY average food. We went back to Coyote on Sunday for lunch as our thirst for mexican wasn't quite quenched. I would have to say it is the best in Bangkok, although a little expensive. They seem to make their own guacamole and tortillas, so I'll happily pay extra for the real thing. Good margaritas, too! I Will definately go back.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the second time I heard that Mike sold his hamburger franchise, but when I was in Chiang Mai in early December, the guy at the second store said no, Mike hadn't sold out and moved away. But actually he said, "He didn't go to Hua Hin; I saw him today."

anyway, I tried Great American Ribs in Hua Hin yesterday. They put tortilla chips on the table as an appetizer, and they were a bit over-cooked. The hamburger wasn't worth the price, but it was Texas size (too big). Maybe I'll try their Tex-Mex food. Still, the staff was all Thai, and I couldn't tell what the cook was doing, so I'm worried. Tex-Mex can be pet mahk mahk.

I think The Salsa Kitchen, in Chiang Mai, offers the best mexican food in the country, (as the owner of the restaurant I may have some bias), but allow me to extend an offer to try hand-rolled tortillas, the only genuine slow side chamber wood smoked ribs, (that i am aware of) in Thailand, slow braised beef enchiladas/home dried smoked chipotles/ home dried cured mexican sausages, and other tex mex/mexican delights all prepared with heart/from scratch/using only what local markets will provide fresh daily. Our prices are fair 89-159 and you can wash it all down with a litre of fresh lime margaritas for only 279. We've been open for 4 years and I hope some of you mexican afficianados, so desperately missing that taste of home will consider giving us a try.

thank you

Hey, a Canadian dishing out Mexican grub to Scandanavians in Thailand.

Only in Thailand.

Good on you, Cmsoulbrother, I am on the next plane ...

Pray tell, however, what is Mexican lasagna (which I hear you carry)?

Anything like that Italian Mexican dish, squid ink pasta with black mole (chocolate mole) sauce?

Edited by Thaiquila

That's the second time I heard that Mike sold his hamburger franchise, but when I was in Chiang Mai in early December, the guy at the second store said no, Mike hadn't sold out and moved away. But actually he said, "He didn't go to Hua Hin; I saw him today."

HE DIDN'T move away, but he hasn't owned Mike's Hamburgers for quite a while. A British fellow named Brian owns both of them as well as Mike's Cafe which has only been opened for a few days and seems to mostly be a sandwich joint.

Mike is currently building his new Mexican restaurant in front of the Miami Hotel on Chaiyapoom Road.

I think The Salsa Kitchen, in Chiang Mai, offers the best mexican food in the country, (as the owner of the restaurant I may have some bias), but allow me to extend an offer to try hand-rolled tortillas, the only genuine slow side chamber wood smoked ribs, (that i am aware of) in Thailand, slow braised beef enchiladas/home dried smoked chipotles/ home dried cured mexican sausages, and other tex mex/mexican delights all prepared with heart/from scratch/using only what local markets will provide fresh daily. Our prices are fair 89-159 and you can wash it all down with a litre of fresh lime margaritas for only 279. We've been open for 4 years and I hope some of you mexican afficianados, so desperately missing that taste of home will consider giving us a try.

thank you

The soul brother does indeed have good food, but it is more Canadian-style Mexican food than LA or San Francisco style.

I won't take Salsa Kitchen off my list when Mike's Mexican place opens, but I might shoot over to "Miguels" (the name of his new place) when only California/Mex will do! :o

thank you

The soul brother does indeed have good food, but it is more Canadian-style Mexican food than LA or San Francisco style.

I won't take Salsa Kitchen off my list when Mike's Mexican place opens, but I might shoot over to "Miguels" (the name of his new place) when only California/Mex will do! :D

So now we're going to hear how Mexican food in the US is better than Mexican food anywhere else, including Mexico, right Gen Grant? :o

It's a fact, Jack!

However, Japanese food is better in Japan. Thai food is better in Thailand. French food is better in France. British food is... well.. uh, fish and chips are better in England.

See how that works? It's called improving on the original and it happens a lot in the modern world. :o

So now we're going to hear how Mexican food in the US is better than Mexican food anywhere else, including Mexico, right Gen Grant? :o

What most percieve as "Mexican" food is typically what is from the US Mexican populations.

Many areas of the southwestern US have huge populations of Mexicans. Santa Ana, California, for instance, has the largest Mexican population outside of Mexico City, Mexico. There, the ratio is 4 hispanics for 1 of any other ethnicity. One would be hard pressed to percieve much of a difference in the dishes on either side of the border, among the same regional cuisines.

Now, there are incessant debates over US regional Mexican cuisines. Then there's debate over preferences within those!

Everyone knows that noodles were first invented in China, brought back to Italy with Marco Polo (quite possibly his greatest contribution to mankind?). But who would deny that Italian pasta is better than Chinese? Or that pasta is truly Italian, given how prominetly it features in their cuisine?

Point being -- the place where a thing first originated is not always the place with the tastiest version. Subsequent variations may be either better or worse than the original. And sometimes another country/region takes on a "foreign" food, makes it better and it becomes a much more prominent part of its cuisine and cluture than it was or is in its "original"home. (cross referencing the pizza debate on separate thread)...

It's a fact, Jack!

However, Japanese food is better in Japan. Thai food is better in Thailand. French food is better in France. British food is... well.. uh, fish and chips are better in England.

See how that works? It's called improving on the original and it happens a lot in the modern world. :o

Point taken. But of course you yourself reserve the right to say which are improvements and which are not, right?

As do we all, just that most of us preface our opinions by identifying them as such. For instance, in my opinion, the Mexican food in Mexico is better than in the US. In fact the cocina mexicana on either side of the border (well, once you're more than 50km in let's say) is very different. Having lived in all four places, I personally would rank California/Arizona style Mexican food in 4th place after Mexico, New Mexico and Texas.

Actually most of what passes for Mexican food in the US is Mexican snacks/appetisers, i.e., antojitos/entradas, not platos fuertes. As an example here's a list of fairly typical platos fuertes (main courses) from a Mexican website. Yes it's from Michoacan but most of these dishes or close variations are found nearly all over Mexico.

platos tipicos

Count how many you've seen on a menu in LA or San Francisco. Maybe in East LA ... Then check entradas on the same website, a tad more familiar to most Americans and Canadians.

So in fact the North American style of Mexican does tend to differ substantially from what you find in Mexico. Even taking a single antojito - the humble taco - as an example, I've never had a taco in the US that compares with the average (not even the best) taco in Mexico.

Sure there are many people of Mexican descent, even recent immigrants, in the SW USA. There are also lots of Thais in Los Angeles and Chicago, and they too can't seem to create Thai cuisine to taste like it does back home, generally speaking.

And the Mexican food is better in Mexico, Italian food better in Italy.

Only my opinion of course.

See how it works? :D

As do we all, just that most of us preface our opinions by identifying them as such.

One of the first things one learns in a debating or a writing class is not to weaken your argument by using terms like "in my opinion". It is whimpy and boring.

How many editorials do you read that identify something as the writers "opinion"? Almost none. :o

Count how many you've seen on a menu in LA or San Francisco. Maybe in East LA ... Then check entradas on the same website, a tad more familiar to most Americans ...

Around Southern California, these dishes are found all over the place.

Although many gringos only frequent the "Combo #2" eateries, one can find restaurants catering to any of the many regions of Mexico.

As do we all, just that most of us preface our opinions by identifying them as such.

One of the first things one learns in a debating or a writing class is not to weaken your argument by using terms like "in my opinion". It is whimpy and boring.

How many editorials do you read that identify something as the writers "opinion"? Almost none. :o

Because at the top of the column is written either 'Editorial' or 'Opinion'. The first thing you learn in journalism is never to present your opinion as fact.

Swedish pizza is superior - but a well-kept secret to anyone who hasnt been there. :D

Ulysses G won't like it, it's not American. Nothing to do with cuisine.

You seem to have forgotten your sacred rule about opinions here sabaijai. :o

That was neither fact nor opinion, but humor, Gen Grant. Just forgot the smiley face. :D

The truth is go to any MAJOR city in the US and one can find very close to genuine Mexican food. You just have to know where that population is in any given city..........I can find it in L.A., San Fran., Chicago, Philly, N.Y.........et. al. The same is true in Mexico, every region is a bit different.

Oh, by the way.......had dinner at Coyote on Convent. Taco bell is cheaper and better. sorry....just the facts.

Ulysses G won't like it, it's not American. Nothing to do with cuisine.
Count how many you've seen on a menu in LA or San Francisco. Maybe in East LA ... Then check entradas on the same website, a tad more familiar to most Americans ...
That was neither fact nor opinion, but humor, Gen Grant. Just forgot the smiley face. :o

Smiley face or not, it is antagonistic, and quickly becomes stale.

For instance, in my opinion, the Mexican food in Mexico is better than in the US. In fact the cocina mexicana on either side of the border (well, once you're more than 50km in let's say) is very different. Having lived in all four places, I personally would rank California/Arizona style Mexican food in 4th place after Mexico, New Mexico and Texas.

Actually most of what passes for Mexican food in the US is Mexican snacks/appetisers, i.e., antojitos/entradas, not platos fuertes. As an example here's a list of fairly typical platos fuertes (main courses) from a Mexican website. Yes it's from Michoacan but most of these dishes or close variations are found nearly all over Mexico.

platos tipicos

Count how many you've seen on a menu in LA or San Francisco. Maybe in East LA ... Then check entradas on the same website, a tad more familiar to most Americans and Canadians.

So in fact the North American style of Mexican does tend to differ substantially from what you find in Mexico. Even taking a single antojito - the humble taco - as an example, I've never had a taco in the US that compares with the average (not even the best) taco in Mexico.

Sure there are many people of Mexican descent, even recent immigrants, in the SW USA. There are also lots of Thais in Los Angeles and Chicago, and they too can't seem to create Thai cuisine to taste like it does back home, generally speaking.

And the Mexican food is better in Mexico, Italian food better in Italy.

Only my opinion of course.

See how it works? :D

Nice post sabaijai. I'd say you slighted Texas Tex-Mex food, but that's what opinions are for. :D If you were reading my professional determination, I'd charge you $100 per hour. Anything else is just one man's tortured opinion. :o

I glanced through the menu which you provided, and hardly recognized 25% of the listings. Yeah, I'm from South Texas, but I lived almost three years in Chiapas, and travelled to around 22 states of la republica. Of course, when you're close to the ocean, you get more seafood, etc.

Hottest mole I ever had was in the capital city of Zacatecas. Ouch!

Ordering a plate of enchiladas de res at the Blanco Cafe in San Antonio gets you almost an entire meal. Steak tampiqueno is a full meal.

But I'm niggling. Pardon me if I've told this story already, but my old professor from Brownsville, Texas went 100 miles south of the Rio Bravo del Norte, around 1950. After they'd placed their order, the waitress said, "Senores, no estan en Tejas todavia! Tenemos solamente comida mexicana." In other words, what passes for 'Mexican Food' in the two northern countries of North America is really Tex-Mex, or New Mexican chile rellenos, or whatever fare they cook in California. But yes, it's not unusual to find restaurants that specialize in Michoacana (especially butcher shops), Jalisciencia (my son calls that "Jolly Science"), Veracruzano, etc.

Okay, so two years in Chiang Mai, I never found that place. Where is it?