Mexican Food

jbowman1993

It's a fact, Jack!

However, Japanese food is better in Japan. Thai food is better in Thailand. French food is better in France. British food is... well.. uh, fish and chips are better in England.

See how that works? It's called improving on the original and it happens a lot in the modern world. :o

Yeah, but British Indian food is better than Indian Indian Food, so how do you explain that?

PS. I hope Mike's Mexican food is less greasy than his burgers. Or is Cal-Tex-Mex really oily?

Edited by Grant

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fact, Jack!

However, Japanese food is better in Japan. Thai food is better in Thailand. French food is better in France. British food is... well.. uh, fish and chips are better in England.

See how that works? It's called improving on the original and it happens a lot in the modern world. :o

Yeah, but British Indian food is better than Indian Indian Food, so how do you explain that?

That is my opinion too. :D

It's a fact, Jack!

That is my opinion too. :D

banana oil to that...Bahrain indian food is better than Uk indian food and indian indian food...

Nice post sabaijai. I'd say you slighted Texas Tex-Mex food, but that's what opinions are for. :D If you were reading my professional determination, I'd charge you $100 per hour. Anything else is just one man's tortured opinion. :D

I glanced through the menu which you provided, and hardly recognized 25% of the listings. Yeah, I'm from South Texas, but I lived almost three years in Chiapas, and travelled to around 22 states of la republica. Of course, when you're close to the ocean, you get more seafood, etc.

Hottest mole I ever had was in the capital city of Zacatecas. Ouch!

Ordering a plate of enchiladas de res at the Blanco Cafe in San Antonio gets you almost an entire meal. Steak tampiqueno is a full meal.

But I'm niggling. Pardon me if I've told this story already, but my old professor from Brownsville, Texas went 100 miles south of the Rio Bravo del Norte, around 1950. After they'd placed their order, the waitress said, "Senores, no estan en Tejas todavia! Tenemos solamente comida mexicana." In other words, what passes for 'Mexican Food' in the two northern countries of North America is really Tex-Mex, or New Mexican chile rellenos, or whatever fare they cook in California. But yes, it's not unusual to find restaurants that specialize in Michoacana (especially butcher shops), Jalisciencia (my son calls that "Jolly Science"), Veracruzano, etc.

Okay, so two years in Chiang Mai, I never found that place. Where is it?

Come to think of it, I think the Mexican food in south Texas is better and more authentic than that in New Mexico, so I hereby revise my personal ranking to place Texas 2nd after Mexico. :D I've had some so-so Mexican meals in Dallas, you see, which tilted me towards New Mexico. My favourite cities for eating out in Mexico are Zacatecas (asado de boda), San Luis Potosi (enchiladas potosinas), Merida (grilled habaneros), Puebla (the best mole) and of course Mexico City (everything). Most disappointing: Guadalajara, Baja in general and most border towns.

I also agree with your assessment of the 25% ratio of dishes from menu being found in the US - even in LA. The US border states, including California, mostly serve antojitos from northern Mexico, from what I've seen. I've found exceptions but when I have, the results weren't as tasty, in my opinion. Tacos al pastor in the US, for example, tastes very unlike that beloved dish in Mexico, probably because the traditional way of cooking al pastor is illegal in most (probably all?) states, or so I've been told.

But Mexico is a long way from Thailand, I'd settle for anything even half as good as you can find in southern California. Only place I've found that fits that expectation is Senor Pico's of Los Angeles. Just about half as good as California Mexican. Also looking forward very much to the opening of Miguel's in CM. :o

I grew up in New Mexico and have tried Mexican food in every state I have ever been in. One on compairs to good ole southern california fare.

Robertoes rules....

Where is this "Villa market" in BKK?

I want to get some supplies.

Thanks

I grew up in New Mexico and have tried Mexican food in every state I have ever been in. One on compairs to good ole southern california fare.

Robertoes rules....

Where is this "Villa market" in BKK?

I want to get some supplies.

Thanks

BTS PROM PONG (emporium), Villa is between soi 33 and 39.

Tacos al pastor in the US, for example, tastes very unlike that beloved dish in Mexico, probably because the traditional way of cooking al pastor is illegal in most (probably all?) states, or so I've been told.

California county health agencies close their offices after 5pm.

At this time, the LA street cuisine takes on a new look.

Downtown and East LA parking lots become home to many flaming pastor carts.

Unfortunately, this is also a good time to avoid these areas.

It's best to speak Spanish, buy your food, and get the heck out of the area.