Phuket Update: Volunteers Continue Sea Search For Missing Aussie

Lite Beer

Phuket update: Volunteers continue sea search for missing Aussie

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12255wQaTLNgbUwIVbanuZkPHTXAPOr.jpg

A Facebook photo of Carmel Brookes, who was at the helm of a Phuket-bound sailboat when she mysteriously disappeared last Thursday.

phuket-4-12255PbxpYpBFMlsHvjQCfhcLjpBDZZ.jpg

The Koh Rok island group (outlined in red) lies about half way between Langkawi Island and Phuket. It is part of the Koh Lanta Marine National Park in Krabi waters. Image: GoogleEarth.

PHUKET: Friends of an Australian woman who fell overboard from a yacht sailing to Phuket late last week are not giving up hope that she may still be alive and are calling on volunteers to continue the search off the coast of Trang.

Australian national Carmel Brooks is known to have fallen overboard from the sailboat Moondancer last Thursday night somewhere near Koh Rok, about 40 kilometers due south of Koh Lanta in Krabi waters.

After being alerted of the situation, the Royal Thai navy and other maritime agencies in the area conducted a search-and-rescue mission for Ms Carmel, but called it off yesterday.

Michelle Black, a friend of Ms Carmel and her sailing companion Dr Gerald Goeden, still holds some hope that Ms Black might have swum to safety on one of the many islands and rock outcrops in Koh Lanta Marine National Park.

"I don't think she is a very strong swimmer, but she is very fit and healthy," she said.

Ms Black said Dr Gerald has continued the search with help from friends in Phuket.

"I am sure they will continue to search for her as long as they can. I still want to believe that she will be found. Maybe another boat saw her and helped her, or she managed to swim ashore somewhere, in which case she would have been totally exhausted. Has anybody checked the hospital or medical centers in that area?" she asked, raising the possibility that she might be suffering from amnesia.

"We are very concerned for Gerry as well, because this would be traumatic for him and he would need any help that could be given to him. Any other boats who can help him, or divers, somebody must be able to help. There could be other Australians staying in Phuket who may want to help," she said.

"They are both beautiful people who were so well-liked by all their friends in The Whitsundays in Australia, where they lived for almost 10 years and owned a sailing business before moving to live in Penang a few years ago," she wrote.

Ms Black also spoke to Carmel's brother, who has been in touch with Dr Gerald by telephone.

"From what Carmel's brother said, [Dr Gerald] did not see it happen. He was down in the cabin having a sleep and it was her turn at the helm. They were taking turns. When his alarm went off, signalling it was time for him to take over, he went up on deck. But she wasn't there. Apparently she had a sailing safety harness on, but it had been unattached from the boat."

"Maybe she needed to go to toilet or for some reason she undid it, but there seems to be no explanation for this. It was night time when she fell overboard, which is a big worry. Would she know which way to swim in the dark with the boat moving away from her? It is just too terrible for me to think what she went through. I just need to know something so we can have some peace," she wrote

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?fromsearch=yes&Id=12255

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-09

• 1 month later...

Boyfriend of missing woman 'emailed her ex

07:30 AEDT Mon Apr 2 2012

The boyfriend of a Queensland woman who mysteriously disappeared at sea last month has reportedly written an email to her ex-husband, apologising for losing her.

Carmel Brookes, 60, was travelling from Langkawi to Phuket on a yacht with her boyfriend Dr Gerry Goeden, a prominent marine biologist, when she went missing on the night of February 2.

Dr Goeden said he had been sleeping while Ms Brookes was on night watch, and when he got up at 1.30am to change shifts with her she was gone, the Courier Mail reports.

Ms Brookes' brother Bill Heang said he received a call from Air Sea Rescue the following morning at about 6am saying they had picked up a distress beacon on the boat.

"From that day on we've been trying to find out what happened," Mr Heang said.

Mr Heang said Dr Goeden believed she may have fallen into the water while trying to retrieve two bean bags.

"He said two bean bags that had been in the life raft were missing, plus the boat hook," Mr Heang said.

"They were red bean bags and they float but they haven't been found."

Dr Goeden, who is believed to still be at sea, has reportedly written an email to Ms Brookes' ex-husband.

"I'm very sorry," he wrote in the email.

"She was a great girl and I know I'll miss her. All I can say is that I know she loved being here and that the last few weeks were wonderful for her."

Missing Persons Unit Detective Senior Sergeant Damien Powell said the matter was being investigated.

"We are assisting the Department of Foreign Affairs and Interpol in their investigations," he said.

Dr Goeden's first wife, Ellen Goeden, died in 1984 after slipping while crossing a waterfall in the Barron Gorge, north of Cairns.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8445090/boyfriend-of-missing-woman-emailed-ex-husband