Aortic Heart Valve Replacement Surgery – Anyone Had Any Personal Experience?

Mobi

6 minutes ago, newarrior said:

Yeah not to be a broken record nobody's coming with me to the hospital nobody's going to stay with me nobody's going to be available for me post op I can almost guarantee that that's going to be the same whether I'm in America or Thailand that's just my sad lonely depressing reality.

What is scaring me is any kind of language issues any kind of complications the fact that anything related to this condition will not be covered by Insurance hear the fact that I'm utterly alone which is a problem both here and in America. Of course I'm afraid my life is destroyed by the recent diagnosis I'm afraid it's going to be very hard to attract a romantic partner as well with this additional new health problem

The doctors (most of them...it's a teaching hospital so you'll deal with various interns & residents especially after hours) will speak English. No one else.

You will not need anyone with by the time you are discharged.

As for all this "I have nobody" stuff you are talking about something several years in the future. If in addition to having no one now, you are positive you will make no friends and not acquire a GF here in Thailand, you really should go into therapy to find out why this is so.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, newarrior said:

What is scaring me is any kind of language issues any kind of complications the fact that anything related to this condition will not be covered by Insurance hear the fact that I'm utterly alone which is a problem both here and in America. Of course I'm afraid my life is destroyed by the recent diagnosis I'm afraid it's going to be very hard to attract a romantic partner as well with this additional new health problem

All the romance you need comes at about 1000 baht a day

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is Siriraj.

Chulalongkhorn is equally good, and for cardiac procedures if involving open heatt surgery Rajawithi in my opion would be the preferred govt hosp. It was the first hospital in Thailand to do cardiac surgery and perfusionist training is based there.

Government hospitals are not able to provide translators. Patient has to arrange this on their own. They also do not do home health care; the cost of staying in the hospital is so low that it really does not make much sense. They kepp patients hospitalized much longer here than for the same thing in the US.

Aside from translstion it is best (and customary) to have someone stay in tbe hospital with you...and absolutely essential if staying in a "special" (private or semi private) room.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sheryl

.. I saw your quote from 2012 regarding the hospital if you're recommending impressive thank you I keep re-reading and saving your emails. Tough call. I also talked a friend of mine about having to do home health care he thinks it would be about $450 a month if I had to have somebody actually stay at my place versus America 150 a month he's an American who's very very smart about these things been coming here for over 30 years married to a local just bought a house also has Cardiology issues he's pretty much recommending I stay here versus going back even if the condition isn't covered that's because it 56 starting over from zero and America it's just a nightmare in any money that I'm saving on being insured in America I'm going to lose by the High Cost of Living remember I live for 50 years in Silicon Valley San Francisco and Los Angeles sure I could live somewhere cheaper but I could not imagine doing that so my only comparison to the cost of living in Bangkok is Silicon Valley San Francisco and Los Angeles the difference is like 10 times.. if I have to go through this the second time like in my 60s 70s or 80s hopefully I'm healthy enough that I could go back and just do Medicare or Medicaid one thing I'm concerned about in America also again is having to do the home healthcare thing that type of thing typically isn't covered by American Insurance

In the US home care aids cost $20-25 an hour. It's expensive. Nursing home care is $350 semi-private to $600 (N Cal prices). That was 2 years ago. My sister had ASL (requiring 24-hour care)if you are a post-hospital stay of 3 days Medicare will cover up to 100 days but you must show continue. 

My friend here who had surgery for a broken leg had a live-in aide for B18,000/mo. If you are in Bangkok or other tourist area cost will be higher.

The price quoted for N Cal was for an agency. You could DIY but risk coverage if someone is sick or off for other reasons.

In the US they would want you to go to a Skilled Nursing Hospital (prices above).

I don't know about AVR but the hospital tries to release you ASAP. If >3 days Medicare won't pay. 

I could write a book on the experience. My older sister who was never married only had me. She lasted for 5 months. She was a retired DOD employee with great insurance (haha) with long term option. My daughter is still fighting with them after two years to get them to pay up.

On 2/9/2012 at 5:02 PM, Mobi said:

Thanks for that Nam.

Yes, I had heard about that new alternative procedure, but as far as I have been able to determine, it is at least twice as costly as the standard op in the UK, presumably because it is very new???

This may or may not be correct and I will check further and also ask the good lady Doc when I see her.

I know from a good friend that his insurance wouldn't have paid for. Even when it would have been the easiest solution for all involved.

Best of luck!!

You see all the guys sat on bar stools,thousands of them,tens of thousands of them,all in the same boat.Same guys day in,day out,  likened to last chance saloon,..and it is.   Just have to get on with it,as an English teacher,not much money there,as the saying goes no money,no honey,no safety net,nobody to help.  Suicide capital of the world ,so reports say

1 hour ago, oxysong said:

You see all the guys sat on bar stools,thousands of them,tens of thousands of them,all in the same boat.Same guys day in,day out,  likened to last chance saloon,..and it is.   Just have to get on with it,as an English teacher,not much money there,as the saying goes no money,no honey,no safety net,nobody to help.  Suicide capital of the world ,so reports say

No it's not.  https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/slideshows/countries-with-the-highest-suicide-rates?slide=9

USA is higher as is South Korea.  

Those bar stool reports are never very accurate.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

Respectfully suggest you take a look at "schizoid personality." ( WIKI has a good page on this ).

For them being alone is not a choice - it's probably genetic - and it's not something that can be

dealt with by medication or talk therapy - IMO.

It may be reading ThaiVisa.  People get depressed and leave the country every day and keep reporting about here for 10 years.  

Perhaps this guy wants to get the hell out of it and look after his brother who is "not right in the head"   also high jacking this thread  Mobis thread  for a bit of self indulging sympathy, when looking at Mobi right now, all anybody can do is offer utmost sympathy

You are also looking at 2012 prices for op,no way in the world be anything like that now,and your chances of swanning into govt. hospital expecting it to happen are zero

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2012 at 2:11 PM, 23962323 said:

Your paying through the nose for any type of surgery/medical procedure in Thailand regardless.Have you given it any thought that they do not want to proceed with you? just waiting you out and let nature take its course.

i did suggest some time ago my own experiences of Thailand,and to me its all a busted flush. Not too late to go back to the UK NHS/Bupa way,Skype hospitals/surgeons in Malaysia or India (acquaintance I bump into from time to time badly injured his hand windsurfing in Phuket,horrified at estimates of hospitals there,took a drive down to Penang,was xrayed,bones re-set ,strapped up ,medications for 1 Ringet (20 pence) OK he was English and was treated like royalty because of colonial past,as he stated),but there are other options than Thailand,told you mine,worked out on later estimates at 1/49 of the cost here in Thailand. Up to you