BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
davejbee

Fishing Holidays In Thialand

Your comments here Robblok are niave. You have been helped and you dont even realsie it! How did "Chin" No about Palm Tree to invite you there? How even did the guy who bought it know about it to buy it ! This place simply didnt exist to westerners just a few years ago, abit like Bungsamran didnt exist to westerners until around the mid 90s when JFHelios started bringing the place to the attention of western anglers.

There are still a handful of Thai fisheries that remain hidden from the eyes of westerners, this was what has always fascinted me about the Thai fishing scene, the fact you can go out and find a place where a farang has hardly ever been and find some incredible fish swimming around...but it is now gettig more difficult and you have to go a little bit further afield.

I am saying that without a fishing tour i would have found it too because of my contacts with local anglers. You are saying that because a tour operater once found it all resulting visits are credited by the tour operartor. I am sure the tour operator heard it from a Thai person too. So in a way Thais are the source (should be as its their country) how can you claim then that you discovered it. You might have for a portion of the public but the other portion that can speak basic Thai and have Thai friends can come a long way themselves.

I will do some inquiries about that lake i might not get any results. But ill try.. im off fishing again. Need to break up those working days before i get too busy again.

Id like to lay a challenge....can any one in Bangkok tell me the weherabouts of "Benjamin" Lake? If one of you can tell me where it is (its not necesarily a commercial fishery, but it has been fished by at least one tour operator) I will disclose where the stingray and siamese carp lake is!

You contribute nothing mate. You only try to justify expensive tour opeartors. A picture of a 96kg carp could give you some credit. I'm not asking you where the locations are. I don't care. I have lists of fishing venues longer than my arms.

Your comments here Robblok are niave. You have been helped and you dont even realsie it! How did "Chin" No about Palm Tree to invite you there? How even did the guy who bought it know about it to buy it ! This place simply didnt exist to westerners just a few years ago, abit like Bungsamran didnt exist to westerners until around the mid 90s when JFHelios started bringing the place to the attention of western anglers.

There are still a handful of Thai fisheries that remain hidden from the eyes of westerners, this was what has always fascinted me about the Thai fishing scene, the fact you can go out and find a place where a farang has hardly ever been and find some incredible fish swimming around...but it is now gettig more difficult and you have to go a little bit further afield.

I would like to add that your taking credit for an unwanted side effect. If it was up to the fishing companies no info would leak out. Because it damages your business. Your like the record companies who with the rise of internet got into problems because of their business model.

Yours is based on information knowing more then your clients and not really adding much that could not have been added if the person did good research and had some thai contacts. If this were not true you would have accurate descriptions of locations on your site.

Also you employ local guides those are for hire by others too. Its not that you yourself do the fishing and baiting. You just bring it all together and take your cut. Kinda like a broker.

I do admit that sometimes a tour operator is better, in general for people with money to burn no local knowledge. But return visitors with some basic thai can do the same. Unless of course you have secret ponds. So we are back again by your need to be secret while you claim you have helped others discover lakes while this of course was unintentoinally.

Fishing tour companies do add convenience, other then that the local guides are the ones who make sure you catch the fish the hired driver makes sure you get there.

Question is always how does convenience rate against price. You talked about many happy clients, i wonder how happy they would be if they knew how much they would have paid if they rented a guide at BSR and paid for their own taxi.

People can be really happy if they don't know what they would have paid normally. If i buy something and i think i got a great deal i'm happy. If i find out later i still paid double of the going rate im not that happy anymore.

I have never used a guide from day one here and think there is no need, With all the info available on fishing websites these days there really is no need and many places have rod rental if they dont have gear with them, Also on some of the websites its very easy to just post and join others who are going to venues,

I often post inviting people to join me and share the travel costs be it a fishing park or wild fishing in one of thailands numerous dams....others do the same, Sometimes i get contacted by guys coming over on 1-2 week visits asking if they can tag along and i,m of the opinion as we have a common interest in the sport thats how it should be, I find most anglers very agreeable guys,

In the last weeks i spent almost everyday fishing so many different venues witha group of 8 guys, Some of the venues were way out of my price range and likely i would have never visited, These guys offered to pay all my fishing costs including hotels and food if i would arrange the travel, venues, hotel bookings and appart from 3 days at bsr in all we did 12 venues plus 2 days deep sea fishing, They had enough tackle with them to sink a ship ...very professional anglers infact i learned a lot from them,

A fishing guide company here would have been no use to them as they spoke niether thai or english.

I have never used a guide from day one here and think there is no need, With all the info available on fishing websites these days there really is no need and many places have rod rental if they dont have gear with them, Also on some of the websites its very easy to just post and join others who are going to venues,

I often post inviting people to join me and share the travel costs be it a fishing park or wild fishing in one of thailands numerous dams....others do the same, Sometimes i get contacted by guys coming over on 1-2 week visits asking if they can tag along and i,m of the opinion as we have a common interest in the sport thats how it should be, I find most anglers very agreeable guys,

In the last weeks i spent almost everyday fishing so many different venues witha group of 8 guys, Some of the venues were way out of my price range and likely i would have never visited, These guys offered to pay all my fishing costs including hotels and food if i would arrange the travel, venues, hotel bookings and appart from 3 days at bsr in all we did 12 venues plus 2 days deep sea fishing, They had enough tackle with them to sink a ship ...very professional anglers infact i learned a lot from them,

A fishing guide company here would have been no use to them as they spoke niether thai or english.

That's good of you tingtongfarang. I've been reading quite a bit about land based shark fishing in the U.S. If I ever got to go over there then meeting up with a forum poster would be ideal. Handling bull/tiger sharks, finding the right beaches and having the tackle setup right is something the regulars would know best.

It was great that some of the cost saved by not hiring a guide service could be put towards paying for you to fish with them. I'm sure a lot of locals would be willing to do the same and that it would save the tourists a lot of money.

So what was the common language you all spoke? huh.png

That's good of you tingtongfarang. I've been reading quite a bit about land based shark fishing in the U.S. If I ever got to go over there then meeting up with a forum poster would be ideal. Handling bull/tiger sharks, finding the right beaches and having the tackle setup right is something the regulars would know best.

It was great that some of the cost saved by not hiring a guide service could be put towards paying for you to fish with them. I'm sure a lot of locals would be willing to do the same and that it would save the tourists a lot of money.

So what was the common language you all spoke? huh.png

I know tingtong, he speaks better german as I do. So i guess that would be the language he used.

Yea there are always people wanting to help others. I know when i am at shadow i always help others or get helped by locals when something is not going well. Not everyone is as nice but in general there are a lot of nice people wanting to help anywhere on the world. Things are getting more expensive all the time and people know it so they are cutting costs and helping others.

For instance tingtong has been magging my avet reel for no cost at all (just the magnets). I return the courticy if i can help him with something. Life is not always about money.

Even in my work as an accountant if i see someone in trouble i wont charge him the full price. I am already real cheap but i will help people for a lower price if i really think they need help.

Greed and ripping people of seems to be all too normal in this world. I am not talking here about fishing tours only here. (not that they are all ripoffs but the 6000bt ones for Bungsamran are). Rod hire 1000.. thai guide 1000.. lam 300... bungalow 800 ... transport 600. That is a lot more as a 30% extra. (you get the rod with the guide)

Also none of the 3 venues just mentioned are present on any other websites Western or Thai and now never will be. You could trawl 100s of Thai fishing magazines and you might find a 1 off advert for 1 of them, or you could join a few Thai fishing forums, and you might see a mention, but if we dont publish in english, its unlikely the names and locations will ever be published, this is th lesson Ive learned from expats. All they want to do is criticise what we do, so then why do it? I now keep my knowledge and experience of venues to myself, and share only with people who are willing to place a value on that knowledge, not criticise the very thing that likely led them to some of the venues theyve fished in the first place. How do you think you know about Palm Tree to complain about it Robblok? The only reason you know it exists to complain about is becuase we exposed it. before that the original owner was charging 200BHT to catch a 350lb plus Arapaima! And all you could find was a single line listing on a Thai fishing forum directory that didnt even have an address or a telephone number that worked! My business partner spent 5 days in Ratchaburi and drove past it a dozen times before we finally found it, and even then we was not sure it was the place of legend that only one westerner had ever fished for a number of years, that westerner being Dave Wilson, who, being a gentleman actually congratulated us for finding it! The original owner subsequently sold his leased "pond" for 2 million baht and now you pay upwards of 4000BHT a day to fish it! Clearly we have not done the fishing scene any good at all have we?

I believe 1-2 of the venues you mentioned will soon be on websites complete with directions and GPS co-ords included...no longer hidden from the eye of expats or tourists,

Why do you dream others here dont have regular contact with the thai fanatic fishing community?

Myself i have no qualms about traveling around thailand or neighboring countries visiting venues along with thai fanatic fishing buddys both male and female,

BTW there are a couple of more venues in the pipeline that will soon be up and running that i,m 100% confident you have no knowledge about, Dont worry! information for them also will be up for public view youself included!

Edited by tingtongfarang

Quote...Clearly we have not done the fishing scene any good at all have we?

Little over a year ago a guy posted on this forum under the ruse of looking for a fishing budy for some snakehead fishing to which i replied, We exchanged emails with him plugging me for knowledge and destinations of good venues but on the 3rd mail he informed me he was actualy a fishing guide but would,nt be too expencive for me, I wont make his id or name public here as in my opinion he already did himself more PR damage than he bargained for,

Truth is i felt dismayed to understand fishing tour companys would stoop to such tactics in an effort to find customers and information about venues, I also realise they will even grass eachother up to the relative authorities for working unregistered or any other reason they can think of,

Since this realisation i have a total distrust of expat fishing tour companys in thailand and if asked my answer would be....mix with these people and your already swimming with the sharks.

Also none of the 3 venues just mentioned are present on any other websites Western or Thai and now never will be. You could trawl 100s of Thai fishing magazines and you might find a 1 off advert for 1 of them, or you could join a few Thai fishing forums, and you might see a mention, but if we dont publish in english, its unlikely the names and locations will ever be published, this is th lesson Ive learned from expats. All they want to do is criticise what we do, so then why do it? I now keep my knowledge and experience of venues to myself, and share only with people who are willing to place a value on that knowledge, not criticise the very thing that likely led them to some of the venues theyve fished in the first place. How do you think you know about Palm Tree to complain about it Robblok? The only reason you know it exists to complain about is becuase we exposed it. before that the original owner was charging 200BHT to catch a 350lb plus Arapaima! And all you could find was a single line listing on a Thai fishing forum directory that didnt even have an address or a telephone number that worked! My business partner spent 5 days in Ratchaburi and drove past it a dozen times before we finally found it, and even then we was not sure it was the place of legend that only one westerner had ever fished for a number of years, that westerner being Dave Wilson, who, being a gentleman actually congratulated us for finding it! The original owner subsequently sold his leased "pond" for 2 million baht and now you pay upwards of 4000BHT a day to fish it! Clearly we have not done the fishing scene any good at all have we?

I believe 1-2 of the venues you mentioned will soon be on websites complete with directions and GPS co-ords included...no longer hidden from the eye of expats or tourists,

Why do you dream others here dont have regular contact with the thai fanatic fishing community?

Myself i have no qualms about traveling around thailand or neighboring countries visiting venues along with thai fanatic fishing buddys both male and female,

BTW there are a couple of more venues in the pipeline that will soon be up and running that i,m 100% confident you have no knowledge about, Dont worry! information for them also will be up for public view youself included!

He's saying Inflation is a good thing?

Funny he likes the idea of no westerner knowing where these places are. Yet it's only westerners aka richer clients, who they take fishing. If a westerner knows he can have the same thing but for cheaper he will always go cheaper. That's why these guides hide things and use the tactics they do.

I hope you do post the new venues Ting tong but if only we coould now hide them from the tours lol clap2.gif

@jack,

For sucessfull fishing in Thailand there are a few things that you should be able too.

- You should know the locations of the lakes.

- Be able to arange transportation

- Know how to fish there

- Have good gear

Most of these things are not available to the average tourist. Things do change when you have a thai girl / guy with you who can act as go between. Then you can pretty much forget about a tour guide. Because they can ask for a local guide most lake have those. They can arrange transportation and even rent you gear. So keeping locations hidden is their only advantage.

Most expats can do the same because they do speak some Thai. Anyway i just freely give out information. Just helped some Thais last time i was at ngau nam / shadow. I find the locals pretty nice most of the time.

Fishing tour companies do add convenience, other then that the local guides are the ones who make sure you catch the fish the hired driver makes sure you get there.

Question is always how does convenience rate against price. You talked about many happy clients, i wonder how happy they would be if they knew how much they would have paid if they rented a guide at BSR and paid for their own taxi.

People can be really happy if they don't know what they would have paid normally. If i buy something and i think i got a great deal i'm happy. If i find out later i still paid double of the going rate im not that happy anymore.

Same as using an accountant then Robblok? When I firt arrived in Thailand I used accountants that had some english language skills. They charged 3 times what I get charge for today becuase I use a pure Thai company with no farangs involved. So it has a cost advantage but a communication and ease of getting something done disadvantage.

Edited by rufanuf