BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
davejbee

Fishing Holidays In Thialand

hi bangkok locals after some good independent sdvice. i will in bkk for a day in july and would like to catch a taxi to a fishing spot not to far for the day

wh

ats the best option?

bungsumran seems the best but id still like to watch my budget ive heard some of the hire gear there isnnot too good and it may be better to hire a guide who has their own gear -. would love to know your up to date thoughtsthx gu

ys

hi bangkok locals after some good independent sdvice. i will in bkk for a day in july and would like to catch a taxi to a fishing spot not to far for the day.

I'd go to Bungsamran if I only had a day. From downtown it's between 150 and 250 baht for the taxi depending on how you go. With no work permit, it's 1000 baht to fish. Add another 200 baht for bait. If you're really tight, skip the 60 baht to rent a net because most folks are very helpful with theirs. You can hire a guide onsite for 1000 baht, and I recommend it the first time or 2. Again, if you're tight, forgo the guide and watch and learn from the guys around you.

All in all, for less than $100 USD, you have an opportunity to catch world class sized freshwater fish. Some days, you can catch a dozen in a couple of hours, on other days, it's one or two in an afternoon.

Disclosure: I haven't been to many other places near Bangkok. Though I love flyfishing, the only flyfishing I've done in Thailand is no better than a mediocre experience compared to "back home". I go because I miss fly fishing, I've been here a year, and I've done BSR quite a few times. But it's not something I would come to Thailand for.

On the other hand, I have never experienced fishing like BSR outside of Thailand. That's why it would be my first choice- and it's less than an hour by taxi from most anywhere in Bangkok.

I copied, pasted and printed the address in Thai from their website and just hand it to the taxi driver. I've never had a problem getting there, other than the shortest road being closed recently and a nuisance of a detour.

Edited by impulse

hi bangkok locals after some good independent sdvice. i will in bkk for a day in july and would like to catch a taxi to a fishing spot not to far for the day.

I'd go to Bungsamran if I only had a day. From downtown it's between 150 and 250 baht for the taxi depending on how you go. With no work permit, it's 1000 baht to fish. Add another 200 baht for bait. If you're really tight, skip the 60 baht to rent a net because most folks are very helpful with theirs. You can hire a guide onsite for 1000 baht, and I recommend it the first time or 2. Again, if you're tight, forgo the guide and watch and learn from the guys around you.

All in all, for less than $100 USD, you have an opportunity to catch world class sized freshwater fish. Some days, you can catch a dozen in a couple of hours, on other days, it's one or two in an afternoon.

Disclosure: I haven't been to many other places near Bangkok. Though I love flyfishing, the only flyfishing I've done in Thailand is no better than a mediocre experience compared to "back home". I go because I miss fly fishing, I've been here a year, and I've done BSR quite a few times. But it's not something I would come to Thailand for.

On the other hand, I have never experienced fishing like BSR outside of Thailand. That's why it would be my first choice- and it's less than an hour by taxi from most anywhere in Bangkok.

I copied, pasted and printed the address in Thai from their website and just hand it to the taxi driver. I've never had a problem getting there, other than the shortest road being closed recently and a nuisance of a detour.

I think the ease with which you can catch large fish in a small location is incredible. Back in England my friends spend 1 to 2 weeks on a good English fishery and often catch just 1 carp. A 20lb fish in England is great but in Thailand unless it's a tilapia, yesok, rohu etc you'd be dissapointed.

I may actually try a trip to Span and the Ebro this summer instead of Bangkok but I would miss Thailand a lot. I come for the fishing but I enjoy the whole Thai experience. Also fishing a whole river compared to a fishing park is going to be much more challenging but the Spanish cats do match the Thai fish for size. I would love to see somebody introduce Thai catfish into Spanish lakes and rivers and the Amazon species.

Thai fly fishing must have great potential. I know the arapaima and baramundi are great but if you could catch a yeeksok or rohu on the fly you'd be amazed how similar they are to catching a trout. I caught them on light spinning gear at the time but they were excellent fun.

I think the ease with which you can catch large fish in a small location is incredible. Back in England my friends spend 1 to 2 weeks on a good English fishery and often catch just 1 carp.

Yeah, I love fishing, but I get such a kick out of watching UK carp fishing videos where they spend days waiting for the bite. I'd call that camping and/or drinking and/or escaping the wifey, not fishing- but to each his own...

Thai fly fishing must have great potential. I know the arapaima and baramundi are great but if you could catch a yeeksok or rohu on the fly you'd be amazed how similar they are to catching a trout. I caught them on light spinning gear at the time but they were excellent fun.

I agree. I suspect it's a matter of finding the right formula, and that will be a DIY prospect. Fly fishing isn't indigenous so there's very few folks out there blazing the trail like other forms of fishing. The good news is that those who do develop the formula will have those stretches of water to themselves (and probably already do)- until the masses catch on and beat it to death.

I think the ease with which you can catch large fish in a small location is incredible. Back in England my friends spend 1 to 2 weeks on a good English fishery and often catch just 1 carp.

Yeah, I love fishing, but I get such a kick out of watching UK carp fishing videos where they spend days waiting for the bite. I'd call that camping and/or drinking and/or escaping the wifey, not fishing- but to each his own...

I agree. I suspect it's a matter of finding the right formula, and that will be a DIY prospect. Fly fishing isn't indigenous so there's very few folks out there blazing the trail like other forms of fishing. The good news is that those who do develop the formula will have those stretches of water to themselves (and probably already do)- until the masses catch on and beat it to death.

Last week when I got back from Bkk I joined a local fishing club. The same as 1500 baht for 12 months. Much cheaper than I tought it would be. It has 30lb carp and pike in a small lake and miles of river to fish when the season opens in June. I only ever used to do a little pike fishing and wait until coming back to Thailand to go fishing again. 6 to 12 months of torture waiting.

I remember the siamese carp in Phuket were great to catch on light tackle for their size so I'm hoping the UK fish are similar. Still 1 fish a session sounds like a good catch rate. I've been a few times after work but caught nothing yet. It might be that it's cold (7 to 8 degrees now) or that they are focused only on breeding.

I am trying the Thai massaged bread method and anything I can find similar to lam, just to see if it works. I think European fish are just a bit slower and more cautious than their bigger Thai cousins.

Last year I actually got introduced to fly fishing by a friend. I got some tackle but as with any beginner in this sport my casting and presentation methods arent quite there yet so I didn't try it in Thailand this time. The reservoir stocked with trout here is a bit expensive. About 2500 baht a time, but now i have the river to fish too. I can practice the fly fishing for the future.

It should be fun but I will always miss the Thai catfish, siamese carp, and the warm weather.

Last year I actually got introduced to fly fishing by a friend. I got some tackle but as with any beginner in this sport my casting and presentation methods arent quite there yet so I didn't try it in Thailand this time.

Don't be intimidated. The majority of freshwater fish I've caught on the fly have been within 30 feet of the end of my rod. Leave those long, beautiful casts to the experts and they'll just come naturally after you've done it awhile.

The ads for fly fishing stuff will convince you it's a difficult art that requires expensive equipment, and that this year's models are superior to last year's. I have $600 fly rods and $500 reels and yet my "go to" rod and reel in the USA cost me less than $60 at retail. The fly equipment I fish in Thailand cost less than $50 but I did buy it direct from factories I visited in China.

3 Biggest suckers for new and expensive stuff in the USA: Golfers, Fly fishermen and Bass fishermen. Oh, and Apple fans.

Edited by impulse

Last year I actually got introduced to fly fishing by a friend. I got some tackle but as with any beginner in this sport my casting and presentation methods arent quite there yet so I didn't try it in Thailand this time.

Don't be intimidated. The majority of freshwater fish I've caught on the fly have been within 30 feet of the end of my rod. Leave those long, beautiful casts to the experts and they'll just come naturally after you've done it awhile.

The ads for fly fishing stuff will convince you it's a difficult art that requires expensive equipment, and that this year's models are superior to last year's. I have $600 fly rods and $500 reels and yet my "go to" rod and reel in the USA cost me less than $60 at retail. The fly equipment I fish in Thailand cost less than $50 but I did buy it direct from factories I visited in China.

3 Biggest suckers for new and expensive stuff in the USA: Golfers, Fly fishermen and Bass fishermen. Oh, and Apple fans.

I've had many discussions like this. You are spot on about the tackle. Some of the rods you can get in Thailand are brilliant. In China they must be cheaper still. I am sure the top brand jigging rods use the same blanks. A lot seem Korean. I picked up a bass rod with fuiji sic guides which back in the UK cost far more. In England replace bass fishermen with carp fishermen and it's the same scenario.

I have been watching videos about casting the fly. Joan Wulff, Mel Krieger and others. How to pick the fly up off the water and getting the 1st 20 to 30 yards of line out there. The role cast. Simple steps first. I'm not too bad but like all fishing sometimes the fish just wont cooperate tongue.png