27-Year-Old English Teacher Reported Missing In Phuket

webfact

English teacher reported missing in Phuket

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12265gTAtleBBlcYASSFEJjBwAUiGfY.jpg

A missing person poster of Mark Robson. Courtesy Phuket Tourist Police.

PHUKET: -- The mother Mark Robson, a 27-year-old with British and South African nationality, is seeking help to find her son who went missing in Phuket last month.

Mr Robson arrived in Thailand from Durban on December 5. After short stays in Bangkok, Phang Nga and Koh Samui in mid-December, he stayed in Phuket.

He was in regular email contact with his mother Merneen Robson, keeping her abreast of his movements.

Mr Robson was known to have been in Patong until January 1, staying at Martini House and The Good Nice Hotel.

From there he moved to Karon, where he stayed at an unknown location for three days before finally booking in at the The Old Phuket resort.

Around January 12, he moved north to Nai Yang Beach, just to the south of Phuket Airport, to escape the crowds and be closer to the airport.

His mother Merneen Robson wrote that her son kept in regular contact by email, until his final message sent on from Nai Yang Beach on January 15.

"We have not heard from him since. He hired a motorbike for the day on January 14.”

Mark was was due to fly from Phuket to Taipei on February 6 to take up a teaching position there on February 8.

Bangkok Airways confirmed he did not catch the flight. Mrs Robson began to worry after receiving a call from his employers in Taipei to say he never arrived.

Mrs Robson believes Mark was traveling alone, except for meeting up with two girls in Koh Samui that he might have known from Maritzburg Varsity, a South African rugby club.

“He withdrew money from an ATM near The Old Phuket on January 10 and then drew on his Travelex card on January 23. He may still have been in Nai Yang Beach, possibly not. This was his last withdrawal,” she wrote.

Mrs Robson has contacted the British Embassy and the SA Embassy, but they have no information apart from the fact that he is not in prison.

Members of the Phuket Tourist Police Volunteers are involved in the search effort.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12265.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-10

Edited by sbk
emails and phone numbers removed since it now looks as though it has been solved

He may be up in Issan with his new "girlfriend." No internet, ATM's etc - depending on the village.

An idea for the family would be to see if the hotel/s where he stayed had the ID card number of any "extra person" that may have stayed the night. Then, give the police a "tip" to find what bar the girl/s work at and go and see them. One of the girls may have left the bar with him to go to another island for a holiday or to meet her family in Issan. One of the other staff can ring her, and hopefully, put him on the phone.

Hope he is found safe and well.

BREAKING NEWS: Phuket Beach body thought to be Mark Robson's

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12277iQBSgykeSloetuSwyUkYkSbCFC.jpg

The image of Mark Robson distributed to the media by Phuket Tourist Police Foreign Volunteers yesterday.

PHUKET: A body found strangled in Phuket late last month is almost certainly that of missing English teacher Mark Robson, who was reported missing by his parents recently.

The break in the case came yesterday when Phuket Tourist Police Foreign Volunteers Group Leader Frank Tomenson provided the media an updated photo of Mark sent to him by Keith Robson, Mark’s father.

A Phuket Gazette news editor noted the resemblance between Mr Robson and images of the body recovered at Freedom Beach, which were too graphic to be published.

Realizing that the Freedom Beach body was recovered on January 25, just two days after Mr Robson’s last known bank transaction, the Gazette news editor contacted Mr Tomenson to ask if police had looked into the possibility that the as-yet unidentified body could be that of Mr Robson.

They hadn’t.

The Gazette sent the images to Mr Tomenson, who contacted the family and mentioned that a body had been found on January 27 that matched the description of their son.

Mr Tomenson was reluctant to forward the photos, but finally sent a single image at the family’s request. The family now believe the previously unidentified body is that of their son.

Mark Robson, a dual British and South African national, was traveling on his British passport. Both the British and South African embassies are aware of the latest development.

The Phuket Gazette joins the Phuket Tourist Police Foreign Volunteers in offering its most heartfelt condolences to the family.

Mr Tomenson said the case has been the most difficult he has had to deal with in his six years with the force.

The Gazette notes that photos taken from the crime scene suggest the possibility of foul play, especially bruises on Mr Robson’s back and the fact that he was found “hanged” in a sitting position.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article12277.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-12

Man O man, tragic for the family indeed, heartfelt condolences to them.

A friend and I were discussing at breakfast yesterday, for all the enjoyable living there is to be had here in Phuket, sun, beaches, good food, modern conveniences, there sure is an equally dark side to this place.

RIP Mark

This is deeply disturbing news. There's usually a motive behind killings on this so-called paradise island and who knows what has happened here.

Sounds like the police have done a pathetically amateur job in this case so far: missing English teacher, dead farang body, no need to check records. I seem to remember the case being considered a suicide, possible connected with the Freedom Beach land dispute. Yes, let's take the easy way out.

RIP Mark. Let's hope that we'll see some proper investigative work and some justice.

The break in the case came yesterday when Phuket Tourist Police Foreign Volunteers Group Leader Frank Tomenson provided the media an updated photo of Mark sent to him by Keith Robson, Mark’s father.

A Phuket Gazette news editor noted the resemblance between Mr Robson and images of the body recovered at Freedom Beach, which were too graphic to be published.

Sadly the Royal Thai Police here are really this inept.... My condolences to his family.

Person missing+body found....and the police never think their might be a connection? <deleted>? Do the Thai police actually do any work? Looks like us foriengners need to police ourselves.

RIP

You have this correct? Keystone cops comes to my mind. This case goes far beyond the bounds of belief.

• Like 1

Another tragic case regardless of the circumstances yet to told...My heartfelt condolences to this handsome young man's family and friends...

Again I would say ( not ask ) why would anyone want to go to un godforsaken place ( Phuket ) honestly it is a shit hole, beaches??? you have got to be joking!!!

Edited by supaprik

The police are subordinate to the Head Honcho of every individual station. If such Police Captain decides a particular case too much effort/no money in it for him, such subordinates are told to back off. I have personally witnessed this on several occasions.

Considering that the Captain has paid a not insubstantial sum for his very lucrative position, is he going to put himself and his staff out when there is very little likelihood of his recouping some of his 'investment'?

Yes there are indeed 'monkeys' within the force, but a lot of good cops too. It's simply that their hands are tied. They kow tow to the Big Boss.

The system is rotten to the core.

• Like 2

This is disturbing. A body remains unidentified sitting in the cooler for all this time and no one had made an effort to determine who the deceased was? Incredibly heartbreaking that a young person has had his life taken and the response is this. It is particularly distressing that the poor mother has been made to suffer in this manner. There appears to be violence involved. The party or parties that were responsible are still walking around aren't they?

And in case the explanation offered is suicide, I'll believe it when the medical examiner in the deceased's home country says so, because all I see here is negligence.

• Like 2

Another very serious and violent crime against a tourist on Phuket. My feelings go out to the family.

The massive PR marketing machine will work hard to keep this as much out of the headlines as possible.

He wasn't a tourist, he was a teacher.

R.I.P. I hope they catch the person/s that have done this, but I don't think they will.

Another very serious and violent crime against a tourist on Phuket. My feelings go out to the family.

The massive PR marketing machine will work hard to keep this as much out of the headlines as possible.

R.I.P. I hope they catch the person/s that have done this, but I don't think they will.

Maybe you should read the OP again.He was a tourist in Thailand before heading off to Taipei to take up a teaching position.

Maybe you should read the OP again.He was a tourist in Thailand before heading off to Taipei to take up a teaching position.

I stand corrected. I was half asleep when i read the artical. jap.gif

Realizing that the Freedom Beach body was recovered on January 25, just two days after Mr Robson’s last known bank transaction, the Gazette news editor contacted Mr Tomenson to ask if police had looked into the possibility that the as-yet unidentified body could be that of Mr Robson.

They hadn’t.

What you have to take into account and realise is that the corrupt Phuket Police francise system does not give a damm about crime so long as it does not affect their dirty income. There was no money here uinless they were paid to look for him.

They are about the worst police force in all of Thailand and need a major corruption sweep. If that happens I dooubt there would be a policeman left on Phuket.

RIP Mark Robson.

In a case like this The South African and certailnly the UK government MUST demand and want evidence a thorough investigation by the so called "law enforcement" of Thailand, Indeed The Uk government needs to act in the same way with advice to their citizens as the Chinese did recently when one of theirs was attacked badly in Chiang Mai. "warning against travel in a particular City". This is justified if a country's police does not show serious effort to tackle crimes against visitors. The only way this country is going to learn that falang are not to be treated differently, in fact should have even greater justice. I hope the family do not have to launch their own investigation , but sadly it is often neccessary for outsiders to do so,

RIP Young Mark Robson

Edited by KKvampire
  • Like 1

From Phuket Gazzette January 26.

An unidentified man was found strangled in a hilly area near Freedom Beach in Phuket yesterday afternoon.

Police believe he took his own life by hanging.

So case closed then ?

Another suicide , no other explanations according to the local police.....