How Come There Aren'T More Dead Dogs.

mogoso

Most of you have been in all or most of SE Asia, and it's the behavior of the dogs that has me stumped. They lay along the sides or the middle of the road move slowly if at all and yet carcasses aren't stacked end on end. You do see the occasional frisbee, but not as often as you'd see in the Americas.

Dogs just stare at you when you drive up and slowly and I mean slowly move along so you can pass. I'm not advocating running them over, I like dogs and feed a group of wild ones that patrol around the house we're building. The puppies of the head bitch went home with the workers in the past week and they greet me at the head of my drive and move fairly quickly as they anticipate some grub when we do a drive out to the building site. Funny though only a few actually enter into the walls of our compound the rest stay outside and lay on the road only to bark if something unusual occurs, not just the odd car or bike riding down our country lane but strangers to them will be barked at with a greater frequency the closer they drive down the entrance to get to our driveway. They number 10-12 as a few local dogs like to hang out with them.

Although they are good dogs to us they have the same me move to traffic attitude the other dogs have. I know that Thais have a particular love for dogs but you'd think Darwinism would show survival of the fittess not the slowest and laziest.

My next rant will be on Pink houses pink rooms and pink curtains or is my mother in law crackers

Edited by mogoso

Thais have such a love for dogs that's why there are so many hanging around scrounging food that stink are flea ridden,lay in the road/soi all day waiting to bite unsuspecting foreigners.

Sent from stoney's iPad using ThaiVisa app

Thais respect don't kill dogs and all other animals for that matter because they believe it may be a deceased relative who has returned. Edited by janverbeem

Thais have such a love for dogs that's why there are so many hanging around scrounging food that stink are flea ridden,lay in the road/soi all day waiting to bite unsuspecting foreigners.

Thais respect don't kill dogs and all other animals for that matter because they believe it may be a deceased relative who has returned.

They don't kill, but they certainly eat a lot of them!

Maybe they don't ever think (or care) that the delicious chicken & rice might be grandma. sick.gif

• Like 1

In all my touring of Chiang Mai and it's country side, seeing many a vehicle injured dog. Plus I know many people that have hit dogs with cars and bikes on there travels. Though never a pleasant sight, just figured it was in correct proportion to the number of dogs seen in general. It is a sad sight so I'm glad you've had a different experience.

Of course pink on pink rooms, blah....

Maybe just need to get out more. I see all sorts of dog carnage on my bicycle rides

Multiple 3 legged dogs. Obviously lost arguments with a car

Dogs with busted legs or backs and drag their back legs around.

plenty of dead dogs on the road and have even seen dead ones floating in the canal (road)

and my favorite is when I see dogs with fresh rock wounds. When dogs are aggressive It seems the Thai's are pretty accurate rock throwers.

Dogs for me any seem fairly respectful I am guessing from their life lessons

Thais respect don't kill dogs and all other animals for that matter because they believe it may be a deceased relative who has returned.

They don't kill, but they certainly eat a lot of them!

Maybe they don't ever think (or care) that the delicious chicken & rice might be grandma. sick.gif

it's worse than that.

Potentially grandma gets sold to the Lao and Vietnamese heathen to be eaten.

r-DOG-SMUGGLE-THAILAND-large570.jpg

Dead dogs were a common sight on country highways in Northern Thailand during the 1970's.

As time went by fewer and fewer were to be seen. Until the mid and late 80's when their numbers were reduced to about what you see today.

I've often wondered if the reason was because fewer were being killed or because roadkill was being eaten by the locals or perhaps served up as mystery-meat added to the noodles and other dishes sold to the ever increasing number of farangs coming here.

Dead dogs were a common sight on country highways in Northern Thailand during the 1970's.

As time went by fewer and fewer were to be seen. Until the mid and late 80's when their numbers were reduced to about what you see today.

I've often wondered if the reason was because fewer were being killed or because roadkill was being eaten by the locals or perhaps served up as mystery-meat added to the noodles and other dishes sold to the ever increasing number of farangs coming here.

Ah, NOW I know where my great Kow padt gai meal is coming from. I always WONDERED why that "chicken" tasted different than other Thai cafes.

I accidently ran over a black street mongrel soi dog last year on my big bike. It was at night and the dog just ran in front of me and gave me no chance to stop. Unfortunately, it only broke the dog's back. I had to finish it off by strangulation to put it out of its misery. It WAS NOT THE MOST PLEASANT EXPERIENCE! Fortunately, I did not dump the bike when I hit the small dog. Had it been a bigger dog I certainly would have gone down. I know motorbikes and soi dogs do not mix.

Ah, NOW I know where my great Kow padt gai meal is coming from. I always WONDERED why that "chicken" tasted different than other Thai cafes.

I accidently ran over a black street mongrel soi dog last year on my big bike. It was at night and the dog just ran in front of me and gave me no chance to stop. Unfortunately, it only broke the dog's back. I had to finish it off by strangulation to put it out of its misery. It WAS NOT THE MOST PLEASANT EXPERIENCE! Fortunately, I did not dump the bike when I hit the small dog. Had it been a bigger dog I certainly would have gone down. I know motorbikes and soi dogs do not mix.

Now THERE is a YouTube video I'd like to see: cycling along, run over dog, jump off and strangle dog to death, jump back on bike and ride away.

A stroll down Memory Lane with you is usually entertaining and occasionally edifying.

With dead dogs as the topic du jour you are certainly in your element.

I remember exactly the same thing. They were to be seen in all stages of putrefaction.

But as I recall, vultures and other carrion-eaters were seldom seen so the carcasses rotted away slowly.

Why the drastically reduced numbers as you mentioned?

The building of mountain roads at that time certainly made it easier for the various hilltribes to come down to the lowlands. And as is well known, many are connoisseurs of dogflesh.

But I don't think that explains it.

Also the possibility of supplying the Vietnamese market didn't exist then for obvious reasons.

The dogs probably got savvy about fast moving vehicles. The oxcart days had ended and smarter dogs had to deal with the new conditions. It was the survival of the ones who got out of the way.

But on the other hand maybe you're right about them being fed to farangs.

You remember the old Junglefood Resturant on the riverside.

Was dog on the menu?

Maybe it was but we didn't know it at the time.

A stroll down Memory Lane with you is usually entertaining and occasionally edifying.

I remember exactly the same thing. They were to be seen in all stages of putrefaction.

But as I recall, vultures and other carrion-eaters were seldom seen so the carcasses rotted away slowly.

The building of mountain roads at that time certainly made it easier for the various hilltribes to come down to the lowlands. And as is well known, many are connoisseurs of dogflesh.

Also the possibility of supplying the Vietnamese market didn't exist then for obvious reasons.

The dogs probably got savvy about fast moving vehicles. The oxcart days had ended and smarter dogs had to deal with the new conditions. It was the survival of the ones who got out of the way.

Was dog on the menu?

"The ones who survived were the ones who got out of the way".

Sounds like a textbook example of Darwin's theory of the survival of the fittest.

Evolution in action. A species advancing.

The next thing you know they will be posting on Thai Visa.

Was dog on the menu?

Sounds like a textbook example of Darwin's theory of the survival of the fittest.

Maybe they already are.

There have been some strange topics lately.

Maybe they already are.

Strange topics are the least of my worries.

My real concern is that they will be promoted into the ranks of the MODs.

Now THERE is a YouTube video I'd like to see: cycling along, run over dog, jump off and strangle dog to death, jump back on bike and ride away.

ahhhaha... this is classic. I was just trying to picture it... strangling a dog... I guess next best to a bullet if no gun.

on another note, I almost lost life and limb couple years back. dog shot across a pitch black road in pai while traveling with gf on back quite speedily....way to close to react. a hair later and it would of been a huge mess.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Maybe they already are.

Strange topics are the least of my worries.

My real concern is that they will be promoted into the ranks of the MODs.

Where is the laughter button when you need one. Thanks for that.

Right let's tell it as it is!

http://www.antieatin...-nakhon-phanom/

Pooch-traffickers-in-Thailand-loaded-trucks-full-of-dogs-stuffed-in-cages-to-transport-to-Vietnam-447x327.jpg

You took a line out of context, attached it to a horrific photo and implied that I... what? Advocate or condone the traffic of dogs to Vietnam as food?

If so, you are mistaken.

My post was an ironic comment on a time when Northern Thailand was something like the Wild West must have been. A place where only the strong survived.

Dead dogs aren't the funniest things in the world, but in those days you often found yourself in situations where if you didn't laugh you'd barf your guts out.

But times change and now we have to deal with other things.

Humourless greenhorns for instance.