Best Tailor For Shirts?

Forethat

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times before, but I cant seem to find the appropriate topic.

So, who is the best tailor for shirts in Bangkok? I have bought a few that didn't impress me at all. I'm sure there's somone who can deliver shirts with high quality stitching. I also want the guy to actually know something about shirts, not the average Joe from Nepal who doesn't have a clue what a spread or a cutaway collar is.

Any ideas who to visit?

Go and see K Somboon at Infini Tailor on the 2nd floor of Thaniya Plaza (BTS Sala Daeng). He is a Thai Master Tailor and makes exceedingly good shirts. They are well finished and fit beautifully. I have been using him for 6 or so years now and always been happy.

Go and see K Somboon at Infini Tailor on the 2nd floor of Thaniya Plaza (BTS Sala Daeng). He is a Thai Master Tailor and makes exceedingly good shirts. They are well finished and fit beautifully. I have been using him for 6 or so years now and always been happy.

I'll give it a try today, thanks for this.

I'll give it a try today, thanks for this.

K Somboon's shop is called "Infinity", and is located on the third (3rd) floor in Thaniya Plaza.

As usual, I didn't check out any of the demo shirts since this usually has no relevance to the actual work performed. He seems to be very knowledgeable. He also stocks some serious cotton, actually some of the best I've seen, Saville Row and Jermyn Street included, at 7500 Baht per shirt. If this guys work is class I might go for a few.

Try Bangkok Bazaar @ 3rd floor Central World....they have some unique shirtings...very uncommon..the stitching and fit is also

great; just that they take some time to finish atleast a week or two; not like the 12-24 hr shops on nana smile.png

Approx. price 2000-2500

Edited by Jaykiss

Just looking in my wardrobe at the labels in my shirts and the name of the tailor is in fact Infini.. as for the floor level in Thaniya Plaza, well that depends on how you see it and where you come from. Try a shirt.... I don't feel you will be disappointed.

Just looking in my wardrobe at the labels in my shirts and the name of the tailor is in fact Infini.. as for the floor level in Thaniya Plaza, well that depends on how you see it and where you come from. Try a shirt.... I don't feel you will be disappointed.

Ehh, did I just write "Infinity"...? My bad, the name is "Infini" just as you said.

I ordered two shirts with different specs (cut, collar, cuffs etc.) and will report back what the result is. He does know his stuff, he's the first one I've met in a while who knew the difference between collar specs.

I can highly reccomend Button Up. They have a small shop inside Paragon with pre-made shirts for 2,000++ and then they have their tailor shop at Thong Lor. Their shirts are around 4,000-5,000++ and suits are 20,000++. But try to go to their shop at Paragon (men's area) and you can get a good idea of their quality.

I am always surprised that there are many satisfied customers willing to promote Thai/Indian tailors. I have used 6 over the last 19 years and they have all been poor. I will never use any of them again and buy shirts off the rack in Bangkok and pants and jackets off the rack in Singapore.

I am always surprised that there are many satisfied customers willing to promote Thai/Indian tailors. I have used 6 over the last 19 years and they have all been poor. I will never use any of them again and buy shirts off the rack in Bangkok and pants and jackets off the rack in Singapore.

There are plenty of charlatains around waiting to pray on tourists, but there are good ones too. Mine is always busy with (mainly) Americans from the nearby embassy and also has numerous photos/business cards/letters from high profile Americans including both presidents Bush.

Interesting thread. I can agree and disagree with many of the above posts. Yes, many, if not 90% of the indian tailors are complete shiate, but the rare 5-10% that are good, are really that good. I've read various good things about Rajawongse n Rajas (with no personal experience), but if they are getting satisfied clients through out the time, they must be doing SOMETHING right, correct?

On the other hand - I also use another indian tailor - however, he's slighly more tucked away in the soi than the above mentioned 2, which is maybe why I prefer him. Crown Tailors in soi 8, about 40 or so metres into the street does a great job of getting my clothes done right, and they way I want them to be done. There is no pressure to buy and you buy as you please. If you need some time, they won't have a guy hanging around you to disturb you. That's what I love about them. Oh - and none of those touts. Seriously. On the way to soi 8, I gotta walk past numerous stores and this annoys the living shits out of me.

There are plenty of charlatains around waiting to pray on tourists, but there are good ones too. Mine is always busy with (mainly) Americans from the nearby embassy and also has numerous photos/business cards/letters from high profile Americans including both presidents Bush.

Sounds like all of the tailors in Bangkok. I even tried Bobbys and the bottons fell off

Rajawongse is good for shirts..very good...and they last a long time.

The suits they make are terrible though

Shirts good, suits terrible...

I'm onto my second suit from there. Though admittedly, I only wear the jacket for interviews. Certainly fits well and I had 2 fittings + the initial measuring to get it spot on.

try Tailor On Ten at the end of suk soi 8, run by 2 canadian bothers and excellent service, top-notch fabrics and reasonable prices. I bought some amaizng shirts last year, premium shirts around 1,800, luxury shirts around 2,200 - 2,500. I would definitely reccomend them. You can check all prices on their website: www.tailoronten.com

Edited by spindle

I know the store that keep a photo of Bush and I am pretty confident that no Bush has ever worn or paid for a suit made up by these tailors, it just doesn't make sense at all. For Christ sake, go to Saville Row or Jermyn Street and you'll get a REAL suit by a REAL tailor. Or why not fly to Italy and get fitted.

I have seen the suits made by these so called Presidential tailors and compared to a REAL suit their work is a laugh, a joke, complete shambles.

I know the store that keep a photo of Bush and I am pretty confident that no Bush has ever worn or paid for a suit made up by these tailors, it just doesn't make sense at all. For Christ sake, go to Saville Row or Jermyn Street and you'll get a REAL suit by a REAL tailor. Or why not fly to Italy and get fitted.

I have seen the suits made by these so called Presidential tailors and compared to a REAL suit their work is a laugh, a joke, complete shambles.

In the case of Jesse and Victor the photos are real. I will say the quality from them can vary for normal customers.

TH

I have to put my vote in for Narin Couture (between soi 8 and 10) as one of the best tailors in Bangkok.

I have tried several more upscale indian places only to be disappointed and forfeit my deposit rather than to buy the crap they try to pawn off on me. Once or twice I have found a place that worked for a shirt or trousers but then was horrible with the vest, blazer or something else.

Narin has made very good suits for me, knows what they are talking about and did not try to up sell but rather gave constructive feedback when asked. More expensive than other places, relatively speaking, but he can import fabrics and other extras.

I believe the gentlemen I worked with is Thai although he looks Chinese.

Ignore the touts at the indian tailors surrounding cesspool, his store does not have anyone sitting outside hassling passerby's. I honestly, for the life of me, cannot understand who in their right mind would go into to get fitted for a suit at one of those places. Tugging on shirts and that “Hello, my friend” garbage. Although, it must work otherwise they probably would figure something else out. God, I hate nana area. /rant

Ignore the touts at the indian tailors surrounding cesspool, his store does not have anyone sitting outside hassling passerby's. I honestly, for the life of me, cannot understand who in their right mind would go into to get fitted for a suit at one of those places. Tugging on shirts and that “Hello, my friend” garbage. Although, it must work otherwise they probably would figure something else out. God, I hate nana area. /rant

There are loads of tailor shops, as you obviously would have noticed.. A lot of them are always empty and employ touting practices to try and lure people in. Others are always busy and rely on customers' word of mouth to stay busy. The one I mentioned is one of the latter and I am happy to recommend them. BTW, they are of Punjabi extraction, but Thai born and raised. The staff who do the actual work all appear to be Thais.

There are loads of tailor shops, as you obviously would have noticed.. A lot of them are always empty and employ touting practices to try and lure people in. Others are always busy and rely on customers' word of mouth to stay busy. The one I mentioned is one of the latter and I am happy to recommend them. BTW, they are of Punjabi extraction, but Thai born and raised. The staff who do the actual work all appear to be Thais.

Yeah sorry I did not mean to lump every indian tailor in one stereotype but unfortunately I have yet to have any good experiences with the 7-8 or so I have tried all over the city. A recommendation goes a long way so I may check them out in the future.

• 1 month later...

What do you gentlemen think about this list from CNNGO: http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/shop/5-best-bangkok-tailors-218990

1. Narin Couture http://www.narin-couture.com/

2. Rajawongse Clothier http://www.dress-for-success.com/

3. Perry's

4. July Tailor http://www.julytailor.com/

5. Duly http://www.laladuly.co.th/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also in need of some new shirts. My current shirts were made in Hong Kong at Ascot Chang tailor and they've used ALUMO 2-ply 120/2 swiss cotton.

Anybody knows if any of those recommended BKK tailors use ALUMO fabric..?

....or, along the same lines, stop off in Duabi and buy extremely good quality 100% cotton long/short sleeves at Marks and Sparks and/or Debenhams for about B1900, although this option may not be possible for some in a hurry.

• 4 months later...

I've been using 'Thai Silk' at the Ambassoder Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 11, for years. Lovely elderly ladies who do a free fitting. Got my wedding suit made there. They do tailored shirts for 600 baht each and it's great quality. You can walk in with a picture of an Armani suit, choose the fabris, colour, etc, and get it done for a fraction of the price. Takes them a couple days. Go in the side entrance, to the right of the hotel as you face it opposite the 7/11 and it's on your left.