The England Squad For The Euro'S

MrRed

Harry Redknapp wants Paul Scholes at Euro 2012

Harry Redknapp believes Manchester United veteran Paul Scholes should be included in England's Euro 2012 squad.

Redknapp, favourite to take the England manager's job vacated by Italian Fabio Capello, likened the 37-year-old to Barcelona pair Xavi and Andres Iniesta.

"You'd love to have Paul Scholes in the Euros," the Tottenham boss said.

"He'd be in your team, he's that good. He plays like a Spaniard, he can play like Xavi and Iniesta. He doesn't give the ball away."

I can't resist this. Knowing your views on the England set up MrRed, would you take him?

No definitely especially when we have Cleverly who after being out 3months came back last night as good as new,and hopefully Wilshere will be fit too! Experience will come in the form of Gerrard.....just thought it was funny Harry saying it.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I am uninspired by the concept of Harry. He is simply too old. The average age of world cup managers is 55 and I think the oldest winner is 58. Harry will be 66 by the next world cup. I just think the team will stagnate further.

I would quite like someone like Benitez but if the manager has to look vaguely British then maybe Rodgers or Pearce. Not much to lose in the short term.

England squad

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United)

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

Edited by MrRed

[Is it me or is this squad hopelessy unbalanced, not one defender thats a shoe in at c/b for his club, most have been playin ful bac and if u include milner uve got 5 wingers in midfeild , Am i being to picky? Sorry but i really really dont rate theis manager, heaven help us if they pic him to take us to the euros!!

switch Walcott for Chamberlain

Downing for Wilshere

Cahill for Lescott or Dawson

And Bent for anybody Defoe if he gets some games

And we are getting somewhere.....really brave of Pearce to go with a few young uns and not just to keep the peace with the old guard...refreshing!

Not far from what i hope will be the final squad Wilshere could yet make it.

Smalling and Jones are both centre halfs at least Pearce see's the future in this.

Sorry but i really really dont rate theis manager, heaven help us if they pic him to take us to the euros!!

i don't rate him either. think he's tactically inept and his management style is the keeganesque up and at 'em boys get out there and marmalize 'em nonsense.

This selection is a nonsense.

He picks Cahill and Walcott, both of whom are playing like sunday league footballers. He picks Frazier Campbell! <deleted>.....Why?

He omits the inform Defoe and the inform with huge potential Oxlade-Chamberlain!

Perhaps i'm biased but how many of you would at this time prefer a steady eddie center back like Dawson as opposed to an all over the place Gary Cahill?

Sorry but i really really dont rate theis manager, heaven help us if they pic him to take us to the euros!!

i don't rate him either. think he's tactically inept and his management style is the keeganesque up and at 'em boys get out there and marmalize 'em nonsense.

I thougth being 'inept' was part of new qualifying requirement for the England manager.

I would take Defoe ahead of Bent anyday

I just wouldnt go as far to say he is in form

Regardless i think were dog average and under this caretaker we'll be absolute <deleted>. However i doubt i'll even watch and i'd sooner choose to watch Songs of Praise than watch an animated old school manager screaming and yelling from the touchline at a group of players that don't know what they're supposed to be doing

I don't think we will do much either but it is a great chance to give the young players valuble tournament experience,for once we may surprise a few people with the quality of youth and pace we have.

I agrre the squad is near to this with a few exceptions....Bent is wooden and his place is up for grabs.

Centre half spot up for grabs Terry not a shoe in now!

Midfield spot still up for grabs......Wilshere maybe.

Not a bad pick from Pearce after all,he will do well as the England manager.

Full backs sorted same as the wingers.,a lot of pace is great to see.

why this obsession with pace? it's keeping possession, dictating games and being able to pick apart deep-lying defences that wins international tournaments.

Yeah we haven't done well in the past have we?

why this obsession with pace? it's keeping possession, dictating games and being able to pick apart deep-lying defences that wins international tournaments.

it's this premier league mentality that always does my head in. it's fast, it's frantic, it's end to end, it's exciting, it's the 'best league in the world'. but then as soon as english teams come up against side who know that they can't concede a goal if they've got possession of the football, england look absolutely clueless. i don't really see it being any different at this summer's euros, and england have actually got quite a favourable group draw.

Why this obsession with possession it is not even positively correlated in the US. And look at our results against say City.

• Like 1

it's this premier league mentality that always does my head in. it's fast, it's frantic, it's end to end, it's exciting, it's the 'best league in the world'. but then as soon as english teams come up against side who know that they can't concede a goal if they've got possession of the football, england look absolutely clueless. i don't really see it being any different at this summer's euros, and england have actually got quite a favourable group draw.

We did well against Spain didn't we! by pace i mean willingness to have a go and actually beat the man in front of you....a lot of these youngsters have got that talent which does win you games if you have the confidence to do it,which we need to actually score a goal.

No more Terry,Ferdinand,Lampard,Bent,Cole even Gerrard will be looking over his shoulder now after all he is not the player he was is he!

Pace wins you games at the highest level.Possession keeps you in the game and is no good if you cannot get the thrust needed to quickly unlock the defence.

I watched pearse manage in last years u21's euro's And quite frankly he was poor, IMO, we had more than enuf players to go and win that tournemount, the reason we didnt was pearse didnt pick a team to win , that sounds crazy? but it was true he picked primarly defensive teams to make sure we didnt lose and we didnt but we didnt win either and by the time he let the attackin players like sinclair and lansburyout of the traps it was to late, and bang we were out , the fault was not with the players it was with pearse's set up. I'm probably not explaining myself very clearly, but bottom line pearse , AIN'T UP TO THE ENGLAND JOB. Having said that , would i be correct in sayin that hes' the only Englishmen currently around the set up thats lead a squad into an international tournament, even though pearse aint that bright ,his experience we should use.

As for the squad, gerrards a shoe in for the captaincy, imo he should have been the capt from the start tried tested and even with his whiny nasal drawl, a truly inspirational player, who WINS match. Will be interesting to see if he takes dawson and king, and also wether he takes defoe, a player he's taken to almost every club he's been to. Would it be so surprising that ari could raise the flag and get the players truly motivated, something thats not been seen in an england shirt, probably since robson's day, could we see england having a really good tournament?, personally I wouldn't bet against it.

I agree with you on Pearce. Hes not up to scratch as a fully fledged international manager. Definitely from the old 4-4-2 skool. I hope someone else comes in and does the job for the Euros otherwise we will not make much of an impression

may be well meaning but hes no tactician. I hope the FA dont think they can fudge this one again

Makes me laugh to see a team that should have its own identity on the pitch changing tactics every match and with the press picking the side.

Decide how you want to play and keep the same team for a few years...one or two changes as necessary. Players coming in will then understand their role better.

You really are a shambles right now but the shape would be better with Chamberlain in...Walcott is useless right now and should be busying himself with getting his game right, not donning an England shirt.

Enough from me...and no i don't want the job!!