Forum Civility

scorpio1945

I hope those who have met me personally agree that I am same fine example of reasonableness and civility that I am on the forum.

Hey VF, if you're such a good guy why are you banned from the PotLuck AND the Hash? cool.pnglaugh.png

Okay, that is more like it.wink.png I have begged and pleaded but they still won’t let me play with the big boys.sad.png Thanks Scea. Hope this lays waste to the notion that VF is the complete opposite of his online persona.laugh.png Edited by villagefarang

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many of you missed this.

The OP wrote:

"These exchanges do not bother me in the least but has always puzzled me since I joined this, my first, forum."

I am, or have been, a member of about 15-20 forums. Unless they are heavily moderated (which with TV's volume would be impossible), they all have negativity and personal attacks. It's the nature of the beast. In fact, imho, the CR forum is pretty mild.

• Like 1

I hope those who have met me personally agree that I am same fine example of reasonableness and civility that I am on the forum.

Hey VF, if you're such a good guy why are you banned from the PotLuck AND the Hash? cool.pnglaugh.png

As far as I know no one is banned from the Pot Luck as long as they bring food or drink:) of course sceud will have to check those guns at the gate.

In the ultimate expression of Forum Civility, no one bothers to respond to posts anymore. Just look at the numbers for the most recent topics, lots of 0s and 2s.

My question would be. Is it the quality of the topics or the members that has brought us to this level of civility?

In the ultimate expression of Forum Civility, no one bothers to respond to posts anymore. Just look at the numbers for the most recent topics, lots of 0s and 2s.

My question would be. Is it the quality of the topics or the members that has brought us to this level of civility?

Perhaps mere mortals withering in the glare of your dazzling prose?

Perhaps mere mortals withering in the glare of your dazzling prose?

Perhapsbiggrin.png

• 4 months later...

I liked this exchange and thought is might fit in this topic.

We must have the coolest, most laid back mod of them all.clap2.gif

You appear to be trying to keep this forum going singlehandedly. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

There seem to be a lot of voyeurs who like to watch but don’t really want to participate, so I’m trying to give them something to read or look at.whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

Unfortunately, more often than not, I feel like a failed ventriloquist unable to get the dummy to speak.sad.png

One thing I has noticed about Forums is the absolute reluctance to say they MAY have been wrong. Most get rather defensive instead. Seems like an easy thing to do but...

I think it has to do with insecurity and the subsequent inability to actually discuss anything. Agreement is the only acceptable response it seems. Disagreement is met with threats and insults. Many seem to have had their sense of humor surgically removed, as well. Even agreeing to disagree appears to be asking too much. As you say it should be so easy but...

I think Chiang35 out it very well 'Some people speak because they have something to say. some people speak because they have to say something.' I have posted several topics where a member has continued to harass , for what reason - i do not know but I think it is related to Chiang35's comment.

Do they believe that because they have been here for longer they have some authority, is it a class or racist thing? I do not know but I would love to see them face to face - maybe they would rethink their attitude

As somebody said people aren’t really all that bad. They just live frustrating lives and it makes them feel better to lash out at others on a forum. Mostly they are just sad unhappy people.

Sadly, I do not think you understand that a lot of people are talking about YOU!

Most of us are not talking about class or racism or issuing thinly veiled threats of meeting face to face so they can adjust people’s attitudes. Most of us are just having an exchange of ideas laced with humor and decorum. It is the rude personal attacks that are the problem.coffee1.gif

Edited by villagefarang

Most of us are not talking about class or racism or issuing thinly veiled threats of meeting face to face so they can adjust people’s attitudes. Most of us are just having an exchange of ideas laced with humor and decorum. It is the rude personal attacks that are the problem.coffee1.gif

You are a dreamer VF, maybe just a bit immature. And if you cannot even remember you recent posts maybe the memory is going

Edited by krobert6

You are a dreamer VF, maybe just a bit immature

cheesy.gifthumbsup.gifpassifier.gif

EXACTLY :)

EXACTLY smile.png

beatdeadhorse.gifviolin.gif

I have quietly followed the CR forum thread for a long time and at it's most vibrant it can only be described as sedate, although I have seen exchanges take place between visitors and CM residents that became interesting, clearly the remoteness of the far north strains many people over time. But I'm pretty certain about two things when it comes to CR's most active TV poster, number one is that his photographs are often truly stunning and number two, his arguments are nearly always accurate and appropriate, locals failing to see those things might refer to my early point about living in the north.

• Like 1

I have quietly followed the CR forum thread for a long time and at it's most vibrant it can only be described as sedate, although I have seen exchanges take place between visitors and CM residents that became interesting, clearly the remoteness of the far north strains many people over time. But I'm pretty certain about two things when it comes to CR's most active TV poster, number one is that his photographs are often truly stunning and number two, his arguments are nearly always accurate and appropriate, locals failing to see those things might refer to my early point about living in the north.

I wonder really, who this poster is?