Forum Civility

scorpio1945

I have quietly followed the CR forum thread for a long time and at it's most vibrant it can only be described as sedate, although I have seen exchanges take place between visitors and CM residents that became interesting, clearly the remoteness of the far north strains many people over time. But I'm pretty certain about two things when it comes to CR's most active TV poster, number one is that his photographs are often truly stunning and number two, his arguments are nearly always accurate and appropriate, locals failing to see those things might refer to my early point about living in the north.

I wonder really, who this poster is?

I would like to know too. Whatever you are thinking it most certainly isn't me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scorp, I find it interesting that no one has really dealt with your question as you presented it. Perhaps it struck too close to home with your reference to underachievers and the thuggish behavior of the lowest elements of society.

Notice how many responders spoke of physical violence in their responses. I have alway considered a violent or unconsidered response to anything as barbaric and uncivilized, showing little growth from ones prehistoric roots.

Though mankind has made tremendous technological leaps, our development as a species seems to have stalled or to be going backwards. I suppose one could look at forums as a microcosm of the world today with divergent groups and ideas being thrown into close proximity by modern technology.

In the past we lived in relatively homogenous groupings and tolerated very little divergence from the norm. Today many maintain that same level of intolerance yet find themselves in close proximity to others who do not hold the same beliefs.

Many have yet to develop the strategies that allow them to interact without resorting to violence, physical or verbal. So I would agree that our genetic inheritance plays a part in this undesirable forum behavior but lets not forget that we evolved the executive functions of our brains to filter and mitigate our more primitive reactions to things. Some seem incapable of availing themselves of these higher functions, however.

Not trying to take a pot shot at ANYONE, just trying to answer your question with a level of civility. Considering the background and advanced age of most here, I wouldn’t hold my breath in anticipation of change.smile.png

Great answer. I would add that the anonymity and sigularity of a post, sms, email or any other modern form of digital commumication may provide one with a level of isolation / defence which allows the baser emotions and instincts to show through.

• Like 1

Scorp, I find it interesting that no one has really dealt with your question as you presented it. Perhaps it struck too close to home with your reference to underachievers and the thuggish behavior of the lowest elements of society.

Notice how many responders spoke of physical violence in their responses. I have alway considered a violent or unconsidered response to anything as barbaric and uncivilized, showing little growth from ones prehistoric roots.

Though mankind has made tremendous technological leaps, our development as a species seems to have stalled or to be going backwards. I suppose one could look at forums as a microcosm of the world today with divergent groups and ideas being thrown into close proximity by modern technology.

In the past we lived in relatively homogenous groupings and tolerated very little divergence from the norm. Today many maintain that same level of intolerance yet find themselves in close proximity to others who do not hold the same beliefs.

Many have yet to develop the strategies that allow them to interact without resorting to violence, physical or verbal. So I would agree that our genetic inheritance plays a part in this undesirable forum behavior but lets not forget that we evolved the executive functions of our brains to filter and mitigate our more primitive reactions to things. Some seem incapable of availing themselves of these higher functions, however.

Not trying to take a pot shot at ANYONE, just trying to answer your question with a level of civility. Considering the background and advanced age of most here, I wouldn’t hold my breath in anticipation of change.smile.png

Great answer. I would add that the anonymity and sigularity of a post, sms, email or any other modern form of digital communication may provide one with a level of isolation / defence which allows the baser emotions and instincts to show through.

Thanks for bringing this earlier post of mine to the forefront.smile.png I had forgotten all about it but it still summarizes my thoughts on this topic.