"Avoid Travel To Chiang Mai"

WinnieTheKhwai

I few bad eggs can certainly make an impact thanks to the internet, but this flies in the face of the lines people you here saying that Thai's only go after farang?

And you know that anybody that tells you that is an expert on Thailand beyond all others.

Do hope the lady, who was mugged, made a full recovery.

It just shows that China has more "clout" than western countries when it comes to getting things done in Thailand.

Fortunately, there were surveilance cameras that captured the crime. Otherwise the scum bags would still be robbing people. I hope the woman recovers okay, but nobody REALLY recovers their sense of security when a crime like that occurs.

• Like 1

Your right about the clout of China. Only recently travel warnings over possible terrorist attacks drew the Thai govt into a state of agitation and finger waving, and here one woman is (unfortunately) attacked, a travel warning issued and no reaction from TAT, Government, Foriegn Minister, no foreign ambassadors or consuls called into explain their greivous error in trying to look after their natioals etc. Wonder what would have happened if victim was not a PRC national......

Who would be the PR winner in a Downtown Inn type fiasco if a PRC national died.....

Edited by mamborobert

China is the future. The US and Europe are going down the pan. It's China's turn to bang the drum. It will take a while for the US and its patriots to readjust but readjust they must do. Investment is pouring in from China, but I suspect there's very little foreign investment coming from the bankrupt West.

China is the future. The US and Europe are going down the pan. It's China's turn to bang the drum. It will take a while for the US and its patriots to readjust but readjust they must do. Investment is pouring in from China, but I suspect there's very little foreign investment coming from the bankrupt West.

Investment POURING in from China? Examples, please, and I mean real investment in factories and jobs, and not in grandoise strategic infrastructure designed to secure China's grip on S.E.Asia.

Last big FDI I heard about was Ford's plans for a vehicle assembly plant here. Interesting, too, that most of the Companies that shut-up shop and left the Country for good after the floods were Asian.

I'm surprised by the consul general taking the time to do what they should do by attending the re-enactment and putting some muscle into it. I don't think my countries represetitives would give a flying [censored].

And yes, China is doing things and getting stuff done, They can afford it and thats the difference between east and west, Then west isn't bankrupt, It's just priced itself out of the market.

Edited by damo

Investment POURING in from China? Examples, please, and I mean real investment in factories and jobs, and not in grandoise strategic infrastructure designed to secure China's grip on S.E.Asia.

"China’s Investment in Thailand tripled in 2011"

http://thailand-business-news.com/news/top-stories/31923-chinas-investment-in-thailand-tripled-in-2011#.TzeLu1G55o0

... Then west isn't bankrupt, It's just priced itself out of the market.

The coffers are empty. Quantitative Easing is the printing of money with absolutely nothing to back it... except military force.

"1,000 US Military Bases Around the World: The Arrogance of American Power"

http://www.ccun.org/Opinion%20Editorials/2010/July/27%20o/1,000%20US%20Military%20Bases%20Around%20the%20World%20The%20Arrogance%20of%20American%20Power%20%20By%20Paul%20J.htm

The UK benefits from the influence of its location on American shirt tails.

• Like 1

I few bad eggs can certainly make an impact thanks to the internet, but this flies in the face of the lines people you here saying that Thai's only go after farang?

And you know that anybody that tells you that is an expert on Thailand beyond all others.

Do hope the lady, who was mugged, made a full recovery.

Thais mainly only 'go after' other Thais.

The Chinese lady was probably mistaken for a 'hi-so' Thai lady.

I actually take offence to tripe like that; have you been drinking?

You've clearly gone native, loaded, but I don't get all this blowing of smoke up Asian's bottom? Diss your own all you like, they'll never consider you one of theirs and would sooner have you leave your cash and eff off back home despite what you think they think of you. On China, I'll consider them rich the day they feed and clothe ALL their people and stop treating them as sheep. Their meteoric rise is simply a product of the West & co buying up all their cheap tat (churned out by lemmings for peanuts) and the warning is all about face.

• Like 1

You've clearly gone native, loaded, but I don't get all this blowing of smoke up Asian's bottom? Diss your own all you like, they'll never consider you one of theirs and would sooner have you leave your cash and eff off back home despite what you think they think of you. On China, I'll consider them rich the day they feed and clothe ALL their people and stop treating them as sheep. Their meteoric rise is simply a product of the West & co buying up all their cheap tat (churned out by lemmings for peanuts) and the warning is all about face.

You completely missed my point. I don't want to be Chinese. To accuse me of that is just a display of ignorance. I pointed out, with Thai government statistics, that the Ford investment of $500 million is around 2% of the total Chinese investment of $24 billion in Thailand in 2011. They are far more important to Thailand than the USA, UK and Australia together. You may not like it, but you need to get use to it.

However, If you're talking about exploitation, can you tell me why the majority of US citizens cannot afford basic medial treatments. The Thais can afford them. The Chinese can. However, Americans can't. America can afford to send its uneducated youth across the world to kill and die in the name of 'democracy' though.

Let us all recall that 'Globalization' is supported by those who do so because their hope is that all countries will ultimately prosper, even the wealthier nations.

Myopia should be kept in mind as a likely human failure when predicting the future. The present slump in the West need not continue - science alone may re-reference our future in ways we cannot guess. 'China rules the world' is premature and quite arguably unlikely.

On the other hand, China is growing apace, and that nation is recognized, particularly by those in greater proximity, for its power, wealth, and future. If the Thai government supposes that China has more to do with future tourism or economic relationships, who is to say that they are wrong???

Moreover, why should I complain if any government urges local authorities to protect tourists? Plus, we do not have here a conflict between a foreign government and established native wealth or position, so the kind of response by the police is not very telling; arresting a convict is easy. Much ado about ....

Edited by CMX

Not only is China growing in influence and importance globally, China is also closer to Chiang Mai even than Bangkok is.

We are potentially to China as Monterrey in Northern Mexico is to the U.S.A. (It's a longer drive currently, but potentially, with faster links in place, it's comparable)

Maybe a bit off topic

Probably a bit premature a reaction for any government.

Lets not forget the Chinese are a repressive culture.

Freedoms we maybe take for granted are not part of their everyday life.

Money and power predominate as with most all cultures

I don't see any spiritual foundation in China as a balance though

jap.gif

W

Absolute rubbish statement.

My goodness! This news item certainly stimulated a lot of flag-waving! (Of course, one might question the source!)

Meanwhile, perhaps the uproar might make the already safe streets safer. A tourist getting hit in Chedi Luang is very surprising, and it is regrettable that the crime was apparently so brutal. That does seem unusual to me. Perhaps it occurred to the Chinese MOFA that way. Got the governor up and about, didn't it ?! The number of Chinese tourists has been increasing and will continue to increase. That trade is important to Chiang Mai.

You completely missed my point. I don't want to be Chinese. To accuse me of that is just a display of ignorance. I pointed out, with Thai government statistics, that the Ford investment of $500 million is around 2% of the total Chinese investment of $24 billion in Thailand in 2011. They are far more important to Thailand than the USA, UK and Australia together. You may not like it, but you need to get use to it.

However, If you're talking about exploitation, can you tell me why the majority of US citizens cannot afford basic medial treatments. The Thais can afford them. The Chinese can. However, Americans can't. America can afford to send its uneducated youth across the world to kill and die in the name of 'democracy' though.

US foreign aid is about 26 billon a year. More than 150 countries receive financial assistance from the US. Medical care in the states tends to be expensive but if you can't afford it you will receive it for free. Did you ever hear of welfare recipients?

US foreign aid is about 26 billon a year. More than 150 countries receive financial assistance from the US. Medical care in the states tends to be expensive but if you can't afford it you will receive it for free. Did you ever hear of welfare recipients?

Never ending argument there.....the US has owed the UN over a billion dollars for years (a quarter of all money owed to the UN). So I guess Thailand (that has paid) is supplementing the US. Great that aide is paid by US but has been poor for years that does not pay its way (yet makes demands and holds a security council position) in the UN, the international body that provides aide. Also US owes China and Japan billions as well. The US donates money that is largely paid (and owed to) by China and Japan. I can be nice with other peoples money as well.

Edited by mamborobert

Never ending argument there.....the US has owed the UN over a billion dollars for years (a quarter of all money owed to the UN). So I guess Thailand (that has paid) is supplementing the US. Great that aide is paid by US but has been poor for years that does not pay its way (yet makes demands and holds a security council position) in the UN, the international body that provides aide. Also US owes China and Japan billions as well. The US donates money that is largely paid (and owed to) by China and Japan. I can be nice with other peoples money as well.

The US owing a quarter of all money owed to the UN is an interesting stat. The US also pays about one quarter of all dues to the UN (22% actually). Wonder if that's coincidence or by design.

Gentlemen or should I say Brothers

East.....West..... just semantics

have a look at this

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/timeline.swf

or watch this

You can prove whatever you want with statistics. That the US gave some small amount to 150 countries is meaningless. Most countries make a small donation whenever disaster strikes. Afghanistan donated funds to the US after Hurricane Katrina.

I'm with Loaded. China is the world's next economic power, especially in the developing world. No country in Asia or Africa is going to turn down Chinese investments, investments which the west cannot afford to make.

You can prove whatever you want with statistics. That the US gave some small amount to 150 countries is meaningless. Most countries make a small donation whenever disaster strikes. Afghanistan donated funds to the US after Hurricane Katrina.

I'm with Loaded. China is the world's next economic power, especially in the developing world. No country in Asia or Africa is going to turn down Chinese investments, investments which the west cannot afford to make.

At the puppet level China will out-invest the US in developing countries

At the top of the pyramid (where it really matters) its still all owned by International Banking Cartels

I believe the U. S. just upped their contribution to the IRA.