Fish Truck Driver Kills Five, Gets Bail

webfact

Fish truck driver kills five, gets bail

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12296dTTeylAALvmBecvdFpDkEAHaql.jpg

Remains of the Toyota after the crash.

phuket-4-12296dFGdapmAgWGEtTSUEbooQBBDdG.jpg

Truck driver Muhummadyukee Jehyus released on bail. Photo: Lars G Dikander

PHUKET: -- The driver of a truck whose reckless driving killed four young Swedish tourists and their Thai driver in Phang Nga last week has been released on bail, the Phuket Gazette has learned.

An officer at Phang Nga Provincial Court told the Gazette last Wednesday that the driver, 27-year-old Muhummadyukee Jehyusoh, requested bail release on February 3.

Released three days later after coming up with a 300,000 baht bond, he is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow.

Khok Kloy District Police duty officer Santi Prakobpran said Mr Muhummadyukee confessed to being the driver of the truck, but provided no details as to what caused the vehicle to traverse the gullied median strip and slam head on into a Toyota Altis driven by 26-year-old Wichit Phromluang of Udon Thani province.

Mr Wichit was killed instantly by the impact, along with four young Swedes on their way to Koh Tao in Chumphon Province.

They were identified as: Johan Svensson, 21, and his girlfriend Frida Falk, 22; Tobias Larsson, 21, and his girlfriend Elin Hedbris, 21.

Mr Muhummadyukee walked away from the collision unhurt and fled on foot. After conferring with his employers at the Chotepatama Company in Narathiwat, he surrendered himself to Khok Kloy Police on February 3.

News of the crash was a top story in the Swedish media, especially in the small town of Vargas, where all four Swedish victims had attended school and lived.

Malin Henrikson, news editor of the Hallands Nyheter newspaper in Varberg, told the Gazette, "I can say that their deaths have touched the whole community. There have been gatherings in the town church, at the square and at the sport clubs where Johan Svensson and Tobias Larsson were active."

Johan Svensson played handball in the team HK Varberg and his partner Frida Falk was a former track and field athlete.

Tobias Larsson played football for Varbergs GIF, which put up a memorial to him on its website describing him as team leader.

"Why should young men be taken away when they just should begin to blossom?... Why should parents, siblings, relatives and friends have to suffer that? Why, why, why?" wrote club chairman Mats Eriksson.

The accident again turned the Swedish media spotlight on the safety of Thailand as a tourist destination.

A report on the Swedish website Svenska Dagbladet listed Thailand and Turkey as the two tourist destinations with the largest number of Swedish fatalities in both 2009 and 2010.

Capt Santi said the bodies of the four Swedish victims were transported from Vachira Phuket Hospital to Bangkok for repatriation.

"I’m waiting for relatives of the Swedish victims to arrive, as I have to collect some more information as part of the investigation process," he said.

The body of the taxi driver of the Toyota Altis Wichit Phromluang was already claimed by his relatives who arranged a cremation ceremony at Wat Ketho in Kathu, he said.

Mr Henrikson informed the Gazette on Friday that one of the couples will be buried on February 21st and the other on February 23rd, and the funeral services will be held in the town church of Vargas.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12296.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-13

Bail ???????????????? he killed 5 persons and fleed and he got bail ? WOW ... Amazing Thailand indeed . I wonder how the familly of the 4 kids and the thai driver will react in this ... this is shoking.... Also how come just a driver got 300,000 baht ? we know how much they got paid ..

• Like 2

Bail ???????????????? he killed 5 persons and fleed and he got bail ? WOW ... Amazing Thailand indeed . I wonder how the familly of the 4 kids and the thai driver will react in this ... this is shoking.... Also how come just a driver got 300,000 baht ? we know how much they got paid ..

That's just the way the law works in Thailand. Even individuals facing a murder charge are allowed bail in Thailand. As for the bail money, I would guess that the driver 'borrowed' the money from family or loan sharks.

Disgraceful.

When it comes to crime where Thais are involved there is absolutely no justice nor morality. Different if it a foreigner who has comitted the crime.

I believe he fled the scene (?) and with 5 human beings slaughtered he should be in jail. There is little doubt that he drove the truck and is therefore guilty.

Bail ???????????????? he killed 5 persons and fleed and he got bail ? WOW ... Amazing Thailand indeed . I wonder how the familly of the 4 kids and the thai driver will react in this ... this is shoking.... <snip>

That's just the way the law works in Thailand. Even individuals facing a murder charge are allowed bail in Thailand. <snip>

I totally agree with you! That's the way Thai law "works."

Edited by Jimi007

Disgraceful.

When it comes to crime where Thais are involved there is absolutely no justice nor morality. Different if it a foreigner who has comitted the crime.

I believe he fled the scene (?) and with 5 human beings slaughtered he should be in jail. There is little doubt that he drove the truck and is therefore guilty.

That is the way Thai law works. You may not agree with it, but I doubt that will be of any influence. And no, if a foreigner has comitted the crime and there is no riks of him fleeing it would be the same.

It all depends on flight risk,why hold someone before he is judged. Holding someone is only to make sure he does not flee and to make sure the investigation is finished.

Its the same in the Netherlands, once the investigation is finished they are often free until judged. Then the time already served will be deducted.

It was just an accident not a murder all else still has to be proven.

Just because he 'ran away' it is assumed that he doesn't care.

No matter what the law is or what his religious beliefs, the poor man is probably devastated.

Nothing will take away the fact that he has killed 5 people. He will live with that for the rest of his life. Punishment will not bring those people back and a gaol term is unlikely to make the driver a better person or benefit his innocent family who no doubt depend on his income.

May be better if a stringent system of regular checks of brake safety in big trucks were instituted. And try some of those new wire rope traffic dividers in Australia. (Probably nicked from Denmark in any case). They work amazingly well at slowing down even B-doubles.

• Like 1

No matter what the law is or what his religious beliefs, the poor man is probably devastated.

Nothing will take away the fact that he has killed 5 people. He will live with that for the rest of his life. Punishment will not bring those people back and a gaol term is unlikely to make the driver a better person or benefit his innocent family who no doubt depend on his income.

May be better if a stringent system of regular checks of brake safety in big trucks were instituted. And try some of those new wire rope traffic dividers in Australia. (Probably nicked from Denmark in any case). They work amazingly well at slowing down even B-doubles.

Could be he survived an attempted suicide attack then?

Edited by z12

That's just the way the law works in Thailand. Even individuals facing a murder charge are allowed bail in Thailand. As for the bail money, I would guess that the driver 'borrowed' the money from family or loan sharks.

And many western countries also allow bail in traffic death cases. Why make this into yet another Thai bashing?

Take a good insurance in Thailand. If you have a good one, they put up your bail bond. He was working for a company. If you are a good employer you take also good care of your employees in bad times. Let the court investigate before drawing conclusions. I have seen numerous tourists in cars and on motorcycles that were not really skilled drivers either. Let's assume for a moment that the driver is not guilty until proven.

The driver scarpers, as they do, more often than not, then gets bail? No doubt put up by his employers, with whom he discussed the pros and cons of turning himself in.

No doubt that the employers arranged the bond money. Did the Fish Truck Driver have a driver's liscence & insurance. The truck driver might be safer in jail. He may just disappear ... permanently. The dead can't talk.

violin.gif

Like the driver maybe will have a bad Buddhist re-incarnation as an earthworm in a graveyard?

Like the driver maybe will have a bad Buddhist re-incarnation as an earthworm in a graveyard?

I could be wrong, but with a name like Muhummadyukee Jehyusoh, I don't think he is a Buddhist.

Edited by z12

The driver scarpers, as they do, more often than not, then gets bail? No doubt put up by his employers, with whom he discussed the pros and cons of turning himself in.

No doubt that the employers arranged the bond money. Did the Fish Truck Driver have a driver's liscence & insurance. The truck driver might be safer in jail. He may just disappear ... permanently. The dead can't talk.

violin.gif

Big doubt the employer posted his bail, it could easily have been his insurance. And why even doubt he had insurance and a DL. And then a conspiracy theory he's going to disappear.

Just stick to the facts, many of which we don't have yet, and stop speculating.

violin.gif

Big doubt the employer posted his bail, it could easily have been his insurance. And why even doubt he had insurance and a DL. And then a conspiracy theory he's going to disappear.

Just stick to the facts, many of which we don't have yet, and stop speculating.

yes exciting speculations here, every 1st class Insurance comes with a bail bond, so its likely vehicles Insurance bailed him out. Thats how it works in TH.

As the inspection of his vehicle is not completed, you are far out saying driver is to blame. Perhaps a tyre blew up, or steering failed, or whatever technical failure

Fleeing the scene, thats what every Thai driver is taught to do, until bail has been clared. There is no way a driver can organise bail from a monkey cage

Can someone please explain why the worst reincarnation is an earthworm in a graveyard? Lots of food, quiet life.

Why can't Muhummadyukee Jehyusoh be Buddhist? And anyway, I didn't say he was Buddhist, just 'his religious beliefs'. He might be a very strict Catholic giggle.gif He has my sympathy, as does everyone involved.