My Old Cat

Have a similar issue with an 8 year old (indoor) cat. Bambina - is there any treatment if caught in resonable time? He still eats an membrans still look pinkish to me, but have gotten rather pickey and lost some weight too (but he was overweight before coming here). Cheers!

Hi,

One of my cats have been diagnosed with chronic renal failure. When this happened I started investigating everything there is about this (common) problem. In Sweden where I normally live, the treatment is rather conservative, just advicing to change diet. Though, just changing to a renal diet (i.e. Hills k/d) and changing to wet food istead of dry food can turn the clock back several years, so do this at once. But in my investigations of the info on the net I found the absolutely best resource there is: http://www.felinecrf.org/links_and_resources.htm Here you find everything there is to know about kidney disease, symptoms and treatments. It is up to date and state of the art. So, don't give up on your cat, there is a lot you can do to prolonge his life and give a better life quality if symptoms show up! Even though, the kidneys don't heal, it is not a hopeless condition.

My cat, Maja, was very skinny, with poor coat, 2 years ago and the vets gave her months to live. Today she is only eating a canned renal diet, her fur looks good and she has put on a lot of weight. She is happy and looks healthy.

Good Luck!

Linisha

just lets u guys know

about kidney/renal desiease..

cat wont show any sign after get 70% kidneys destroyed (sound we know it too late..right?? :o )

the deal ....how to keep the 30% work...

cat is carnivore ,by natural..so cat get too much Nitrogen(waste)

• 3 weeks later...

My cat died 18 years back of feline distemper, kitty aids or whatever its name is. Today theres a vaccine but there wasn;t when he acquired it. He had been fighting it for a few years, with the super vitaminzation being the only thing my vet could do, toward the last.

Coming in from work one day he was laying on the floor unable to move with a puddle of green ichor that he vomited. I knew it was the end, and I guess it was my selfishness that made me hold on to him, for as long as I did with even though the last few days of his life I could sense the pain. But I didn't want to part with him.

I can't think of many things harder that I've done than holding my friend while the vet gave him the injection to put him down, and I drove home to bury him in a spot he liked to lay in the sun.

He was the greatest of all animal companions a person could have. He gave me 13 years of total loyalty. I took him to South America on a few vacations to my inlaws farm. I saw him leap off the roof over looking the garden to snag a humminbird outta the air, landing in a rose bush, but not giving up his prey. We went out one day only to return to 4 dead rats placed on our bed that he'd snagged outta the grain room.

His size was of twentyfour pounds with a large frame so he wasn't fat, simply healthy, had the campesinos afraid, and backing away from him. Once I asked a friend to watch him as we were only going down for three weeks. We returned and I went to pick up Hombre (cats name) and I asked my friend if there was any problems. He looked at me funny and said no. A couple of years later he admitted that the cat and him had a problem the night we left, and he hadn't seen the cat from that point until a couple of hours before I went to pick him up.

Dang I miss him still.

I got a couple of stories about Tim as well. When I lived with my mum and Tim was quite young 11 years ago, I used to go off the Thailand four or five times a year. He would always be sitting at the gate waiting for me when the taxi pulled up. Mum said he would rush off out the back window a few minutes before I arrived. Coincidence? maybe. When I lived in Broadstairs, he used to come for a walk with me round the block every morning. No lead, just followed me. Neighbours thought it most amusing.

But the one episode in Tim's life that I remember, apart from pushing the dogs out of way to get to their food just before he died, was, one night, again in Broadstairs, there was an almighty commotion coming from the back garden. Four or five cats scapping like fury. I rushed out to save my prize pussy, but he was no-where to be seen. Something made me look up, and there he was perched right at the top of a slender Willow tree, keeping an eye on proceedings. As soon as I had cleared the garden, down he came. Who said cats couldn't come down from trees?.

I got a couple of stories about Tim as well. When I lived with my mum and Tim was quite young 11 years ago, I used to go off the Thailand four or five times a year. He would always be sitting at the gate waiting for me when the taxi pulled up. Mum said he would rush off out the back window a few minutes before I arrived. Coincidence? maybe. When I lived in Broadstairs, he used to come for a walk with me round the block every morning. No lead, just followed me. Neighbours thought it most amusing.

But the one episode in Tim's life that I remember, apart from pushing the dogs out of way to get to their food just before he died, was, one night, again in Broadstairs, there was an almighty commotion coming from the back garden. Four or five cats scapping like fury. I rushed out to save my prize pussy, but he was no-where to be seen. Something made me look up, and there he was perched right at the top of a slender Willow tree, keeping an eye on proceedings. As soon as I had cleared the garden, down he came. Who said cats couldn't come down from trees?.

To remember the things your deceased pet had done is such a bittersweet moment, but even though their gone, your heart is being warmed by their memory. And their spirit still infuses yours.

Lampy, Sorry to read about Tim. I was just the other day looking at his photo where he eating the dog food.

I moved house in November with my three cats and one of them unfortunately went AWOL never to be seen again. I miss her deeply, but hope she may have found another home. And I've still got the other two, who settled in no problem.

I think that cats really do have that sense that we can't see which makes them all the more interesting and mysterious. I love the way that they can walk right past you and then stare at you as if they have never seen you before in their lives - of course until its feeding time!!

Kupal,

I did not appreciate your comment/joke. My cat was very healthy but very shy and was frightened by the move. I miss her and shall miss her for a very long time. So keep your snide comments to yourself.

Second that. This forum is for animal lovers only.