Another Question - Species Of Tortoise....

I would like to take my tortoise back to the UK to live in my parents garden. The animal in question is either an indian or burmese star tortoise. We bought her at chatuchak (where else). The govt. dept. in England that is responsible for quarantine (DEFRA) have informed me that she would need a special export certificate in order to be permitted entry to the UK. My question is this.

Does anyone know of a vet who could identify the species - apparently the Burmese type are endangered and is it a difficult process to export an animal?

Brilliant site by the way. :o

u'd take a picture and post maybe somebody know

if you want a vet to confirm ..maybe goto Chulalongkorn Uni, Fac . of Vet med (dep. Medicine -aquatic animal)

but for me, when u talk, make me think about "tao bok" (cant live in water ..just stay on land only)

i try to search image ..which one u have?

post-19740-1134019842_thumb.jpg

Edited by BambinA

:o Bambina, you are a wonder. None of the pictures are actually her, but the bottom left one is the same shaped shell. Very domed. She has a star pattern so she can be camoflaged. thanks for all the replies, need to contact Chulalongkorn Uni dept of vet science then.

:o Yes, that's my twinkle alright. But is she Indian or Burmese?

Brilliant job Bambina! thanks.

seem she loves Roti, Nan,Japati and curry ... she is indian

Geochelone Elegans (Indian Star Tortoise) is a close relative of the large Leopard Tortoise (Geochelone Pardalis). The Indian Star Tortoise can be found in Ceylon and peninsular India. It can also be found westward near Sind. It has also been spotted on the islands of Karaduva and Ramaswaran

If I can add my 2 baht worth.

The Burmese Star Tortoise (Geochelone platynota) is becoming extinct in its native Myanmar (Burma). It lives in the dry, deciduous forest, and is eaten both by the native Burmese, and is traded to the Chinese, where it is sometimes found in the food markets. It is on CITES Appendix II, meaning a permit from the country of export is required. Reportedly, Myanmar has never granted a export permit, meaning most captive bred are originally from illegal tortoises, or imports grandfathered in prior to the CITES listing.

This tortoise can easily be distinguished from the more common Indian Star Tortoise by comparing the plastrons of the two species. It is considered critically endangered by the IUCN's Redlist. One recent expedition searched for the Burmese star for 400 hours, and only found 5 tortoises. This was with specially trained dogs and 5 volunteers.

Burmese Star Tortoise

burmesestar1.jpg

Indian Star Tortoise

star_tortoise_2.jpg

Left - Burmese Star Tortoise, Right - Indian Star Tortoise

geocheloneplatynota7t.jpg1_small.jpg

Hope this helps.