BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
PeaceBlondie

If You Just Can't Eat Thai Food...

I cannot eat Thai food. Impossible; don't argue.

So, I spend too much time at Burger King, KFC, pizza places that are too expensive or don't have Italian sausage, etc. I eat way too many chocolates.

I avoid Thai restaurants like the plague they are; please don't suggest that I go in and order "nam prik" or "mai pet." But in Hua Hin, like it was in Chiang Mai, there are plenty of European restaurants. I've had beef filet, spagheti bolonese, cordon bleu chicken, club sandwich at S&P, "American breakfast", etc.

Any more suggestions?

Go home? Sorry, just joking. No suggestions though. Fried rice maybe. I always find the spag bol in Thai/Western restaurants to be very cheap.

I cannot eat Thai food.  Impossible; don't argue.

So, I spend too much time at Burger King, KFC, pizza places that are too expensive or don't have Italian sausage, etc.  I eat way too many chocolates.

I avoid Thai restaurants like the plague they are; please don't suggest that I go in and order "nam prik" or "mai pet."  But in Hua Hin, like it was in Chiang Mai, there are plenty of European restaurants.  I've had beef filet, spagheti bolonese, cordon bleu chicken, club sandwich at S&P, "American breakfast", etc. 

Any more suggestions?

What is it you dislike? I presume the spices, if this is the case a lot of dishes can be prepared without spices. Also on Samui most thai restaurants will have what thay call western food. Usually an omlettte and chips or something like that - not interesting but something to eat...

ground beef (mince) is an ingredient in many western recipies (spag bog, meat loaf, chilli con carne, etc). Buy yourself a meat grinder and the potential for preparing your own western food at home becomes exponential (sausages as well). I haven't seen ground beef anywhere in supermarkets in Thailand. Last time I went last month I bought one here in Bahrain and carried it to LOS on the plane. The difference it made to my diet there was incalculable.

Any more suggestions?

Sorry to state the obvious but can you cook? I prepare all my western style food myself and indulge only occasionaly on takeout. Or hire a cook to prepare what you want, maybe come in 3-4 times a week - may not be too expensive.

you need to find a girl like my wife. She can cook anything, after seeing it done once. Steak and chips [french fries] to perfection, pancakes, Spaghetti Bolognaise <or carbonara>, irish style stew, club sandwiches, anything.

:D

:o

ground beef (mince) is an ingredient in many western recipies (spag bog, meat loaf, chilli con carne, etc). Buy yourself a meat grinder and the potential for preparing your own western food at home becomes exponential (sausages as well). I haven't seen ground beef anywhere in supermarkets in Thailand. Last time I went last month I bought one here in Bahrain and carried it to LOS on the plane. The difference it made to my diet there was incalculable.

Sometimes Lotus had some ground beef or were nice enough to mince a kilo or 2 once in a while but now we have a Carrefour, and they have it all the time.

I don't like spicy Thai food at all or curry dishes, but I do love Prawns or fish with garlic, the vegetable dishes especially with baby corn, the omellettes, the fried rice. A lovely fresh fish dish is always great. Those little prawn cakes, Tot man kung are quite good with a sweet sauce.

Thanks, so far. No, I'm not going home. No, I don't cook. No, I divorced my wife after she proved for 20 years that she couldn't cook well. My live-in Thai boyfriend was amazed that I was totally intolerant to chiles, and stopped trying to cook more than steamed rice and veggies.

Sweet suegha wrote, "What is it you dislike? I presume the spices, if this is the case a lot of dishes can be prepared without spices." Sorry, suegha, but the Thai waitresses and cooks I've run into don't speak "mai pet." They are incapable of leaving out the chiles, sooner or later, usually sooner. I've given up trying.

So, I guess I'll keep eating at Western tourist restaurants.

P.S.: food isn't important to me. I only eat to stay alive. My mother also was a very plain cook. Mai bpen rai. To me, Thais are obsessed with food.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

good grief. If you think Thais are "obsessed with food", I don't think you'd last more than a couple of days in Japan. Thais just throw a few ingredients together and cook em quickly then dump them on a plate. Hours of meticulous preparation and presentation go into a Japanese meal...

oh, and wasabe is as hot as any tom yum anyday...

:o

Well, if it's just the chillies, order something which doesn't have any and requires you to add your own (or not).

Fried rice, fried noodles (pad seu), various rice and noodle soups qualify, and these are amongst the cheapest dishes you can order, too.

Grilled anything - fish, pork, chicken, you'll get the spicy sauce seperately in a small saucer or plastic bag...

Or boil some potatoes, it's not that difficult, and fry an egg to go with it. :o

BTW, I found eateries prepare the food exactly as I require, I make a point of ordering directly from the cook and keep ordering the same dishes from the same place, ie. stick to places in your immediate neighbourhod, I even got them to deliver to my doorstep at no extra charge. :D

Edited by zzap

Do you have the capability to cook where you live? Do you have the desire to learn? If so, there are dozens of dishes that are easy to prepare.

My local Foodland sells fresh, shrink-wrapped all-in-one meal ingredients. These usually have meat or fish, noodles, veggies, spices that can be prepared in a variety of ways, quickly and easily, usually in a single pan or pot.

Other than chillies do you any problems with other traditional Thai spices like garlic, lemongrass, coriander, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, galangal?

There are lots of Thai dishes that do not have a lot of spices or can certainly be made without spices.

What types of Thai eateries are nearby? In addition to sit-down restaurants and carts, I consider myself very lucky to have a very small, outdoor restaurant nearby. I hesitate to even call it a restaurant as it is under a jury-rigged awning, with two gas-fired cookers, and two tables. The man and woman who run this, open 9 AM – 3 PM only, will cook anything provided they have the ingredients. You can sit and eat or take-away. Most dishes are 25 – 30 baht.

Sometimes I have an omelette, with rice on the side, which started off as Khai Chieo Moo Sap, an egg omelette with ground pork. Now I get it made with additional things that might be on hand like tomatoes, onions, mushrooms. I think there are many, many different kinds of omelettes (Khai Yat Sai, for example).

They also prepare fish, grilled or fried, simply, but then have a spicy sauce that gets added after cooking. You can have it without the sauce.

There are a lot of soups that are mild. Sometimes I have a sort of pork soup with tofu, Gaeng Jood Thao Hoo Moo Sap. I’ve also had some mild chicken soups with noodles. And there are rice soups that are mild. There are a lot of spices on the table which can be added after cooking.

If you cannot cook where you live, try to search out small Thai restaurants where you can establish a relationship with the proprietors. I think you’ll be able to find one or two where they will enjoy preparing food for you, as you like it?

Here is a list of recipes to give you feel for the names and ingredients.

And another brief list for reference.

Good luck.

Edited by lomatopo

I somehow suspect it's a psychological issue rather than a practical one.

It's not that hard to get low-priced decent food.

It's up to Blondie to look into the issues involved here, or ask for further feed-back.

It's easy to learn how to cook particularly if you just 'eat to live'. Although I love to cook Thai food as it's very easy to prepare, I cook Italian as well. Simple pasta dishes take 15 mins and are very tasty and good for you. Once you get a bit of confidence you make them up as you go along trying out different ingredients. As long as you have fun cooking everything turns out fine!

It's so easy to impress your friends/loved one too...

Edited by suegha

Stall food another option - chicken, beef, pork on sticks - mind you skip the peppers in the skewers. (very hot)