If You Just Can't Eat Thai Food...

PeaceBlondie

I ate Thai food every week in L.A. Now I eat it everyday.  I've had to explain I love spicy.  I say in my best Thai, "Do I look like a white lady from Europe that can't tolerate anything over 0 degrees?"  Yeeeeeah.  What was the question again?

The question, Tyree, was how I can eat more WESTERN FOOD in Thailand. You are off topic. :o

Please go tell everybody in the Thai food section how good and spicy Thai food is. Please don't tell me; I'd rather eat feces.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ate Thai food every week in L.A. Now I eat it everyday.  I've had to explain I love spicy.  I say in my best Thai, "Do I look like a white lady from Europe that can't tolerate anything over 0 degrees?"  Yeeeeeah.  What was the question again?

The question, Tyree, was how I can eat more WESTERN FOOD in Thailand. You are off topic. :o

Please go tell everybody in the Thai food section how good and spicy Thai food is. Please don't tell me; I'd rather eat feces.

I know this is harping on, but is there really not one single type of Thai food. Not even an omlette? Or a banana roti?

What about living on Lays? Only joking, did you buy a toasted sandwich maker?

Or, if you buy an electric wok, you can do pasta and sauces. There are heaps of internet sites with good recipes.

Edited by Grant

My Thai boyfriend could not believe that such a cheap appliance would automatically pop up the toast before burning it.

:D:D LOL

My Mrs eyes lit up and she giggled the first time she saw Toast pop up automatically.

No suggestions about food though PeaceBlondie. I also only eat to survive but i will eat anything.................as long as someone else has cooked it :o

I know this is harping on, but is there really not one single type of Thai food.  Not even an omlette?  Or a banana roti?

What about living on Lays?  Only joking, did you buy a toasted sandwich maker?

Or, if you buy an electric wok, you can do pasta and sauces.  There are heaps of internet sites with good recipes.

I eat Lay's potato chips (only certain flavors, of course), tang mo, zapalote, pomelo, some other fruits, kaow phat gai mai pet, kaow phat gung mai pet, and chocolate milk. I sometimes eat "American breakfast" which you'd never find in America. I used to eat fried rice, chicken, mushrooms, cashews and oyster sauce, but half the time it was in a chile sauce that made it inedible, so I've given up on kaow phat met mooong moooong. Even S&P got it wrong last time. And at one place, the head waitress insisted that I ruin my k.p.m.m.m. with nasty sauces that (she said) were mai pet but I said were pet mahk mahk, and that she can't understand Thai cooking terms spoken in Thai.

I may buy a toasted sanwich maker when I have counter space in my new kitchen, early February. I think I have an electric wok. Thanks for the advice. I sincerely appreciate your advice; you've been one of the most helpful on this thread. Nonetheless, except to satisfy your curiosity, why harp on? This is not a thread about Thai food, chaimai?

Edited by PeaceBlondie

I cannot eat Thai food.  Impossible; don't argue.

So, I spend too much time at Burger King, KFC, pizza places that are too expensive or don't have Italian sausage, etc.  I eat way too many chocolates.

I avoid Thai restaurants like the plague they are; please don't suggest that I go in and order "nam prik" or "mai pet."  But in Hua Hin, like it was in Chiang Mai, there are plenty of European restaurants.  I've had beef filet, spagheti bolonese, cordon bleu chicken, club sandwich at S&P, "American breakfast", etc. 

Any more suggestions?

There are several realtively easy non-Thai food recipes that you might want to consider. For example:

1) Beef Stew - cube the beef (no need for expensive cuts), coat with flour, salt and crushed black pepper, brown in hot oil. Add water (and red wine for taste), pieces of onions and vegetables such as carrots or anything else that you can find locally, potatoes, and tomatoes. Let cook until tender. Serve with catchup if needed.

The variation for the stew is beef soup - just skip the browning of the meat and the wine, add more water. Add beef bouillons and barley (loog diauy - ลูกเดือย) if you can find them.

2) Chicken with Dumplings - cook until tender (meat falling off the bones) whole chicken with onions, carrots or any other vegetables - flavor with salt and whole black peppers. Before ready to eat, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and an egg to make a soft batter. Bring the liquid in the chicken pot to boil once more, keep on low heat, drop the batter by spoonsful on top of the chicken. Cover the pot, cook until the dumplings rise slightly. Serve hot.

Measurements for the ingredients depend on how much you are cooking. The ratio of meat and vegetables should be about 1 to 2 (twice as much vegetables as the meat), salt/pepper to you own taste. Both recipes are great for leftovers....

Edited by Dara

I cannot eat Thai food.  Impossible

Any more suggestions?

well im sorry PB..but obviously u can find vendor as ...deep fried chicken/grilled chicken or pork

u have material now...

use it as

1 just plain eat

2 + veggies and mayonnaise now u get salad

3 +veggies +bread ....now u get sandwich

**tuna canned nuke it with veggies ketchup and topping on spaghetti/noodle

**fried egg topping with fried minced pork+veggies as baby corn /onion/carrot

**deep fried minced meat -now u have meat ball // burgur stuff //even salad (u can order the vendor for cook it 4 u)

**deep fried fish with sour-cream sauce??

**devil egg or just boiled egg

**stream seafood

etc ...

If you have a house, have you considered buying one of those bucket barbeques. They are dead easy to use. You can buy wood that's been soaked in parrafin or something like that to like the coal.

If you buy heinz bbq sauce you can grill any meet in that and it's great. My favourite is ribs. Buy the ribs from Lotus and boil for a couple of hours in salted water. After that put them on a low heat and spread thickly with BBQ sauce and turn every 5 minutes and baste when turned.

I bought a bbq here before I progressed to an oven, it's a really inexpensive way to cook.

Because I can eat Thai food and you can't! HA HA HA I am having a better time than you. If you are in Thailand and can't eat Thai food, that is your problem.

The above post is a bit nasty! Just cos I love Thai food, spices and flavourings etc, doesn't mean that I try to convince others who don't!

Look at the title of the topic and lighten up.

Any positive suggestions, I'm sure, will be positively received!

Here's one. A good old fashioned roast dinner, dead easy to do and really tasty, don't forget the gravy and loads of it!

Wow..

I'm TOTALLY with PB...! Same-same.

P.S.: food isn't important to me. I only eat to stay alive. My mother also was a very plain cook. Mai bpen rai. To me, Thais are obsessed with food.

I also don't like 99% of Thai/Asian food generally. I hate the smells, the look, color, the spices and all the different bottles of flavored disgusting-smelling sauces that they pour onto it.. And the watery soups with bits of everything under the sun floating around in it.....

I also happen to like my meat LEAN.. and I DO mean LEAN. No gristle, bone, fat, skin, chewy-bits etc. so street food is out. (How Thai's can eat pigs-trotters, chicken legs/feet etc is a mystery to me. )

Btw, while we're here, Carrefour do a nice Roast Chicken.. then they proceed to whack it into small bits with a machete before they give it to you.. so now bits of tiny smashed bone are running thru it...!! When I asked for the chicken WHOLE so I could carve the breast and pull it apart myself they looked at me like I was crazy, and my bf didn't understand the difference (although I swear he eats bone too...!)

So yes, I have his same problem. I love Western Food. AND I HATE to cook. It's boring, I don't enjoy it, and seems pointless to me to do all that preparation for one person.

In USA I go for Frozen Entree's which don't exist here... (I'm SURE there's a market to be had!) and I don't mean those "Asian Microwave instant meals here).. 97% rice and 3% mystery meat.)

I also hate almost all Sea-Food too... (shall I give you my list of things I won't eat...??!)

I have managed to handle Thai Omelete though.. but that's about it.

Then I discovered The Barbican bar and Restaurant in Silom... GREAT western food - and apparently cooked by a Thai Chef!! (See, they CAN do it)

ChrisP

Wow..

I'm TOTALLY with PB...!  Same-same.

P.S.: food isn't important to me. I only eat to stay alive. My mother also was a very plain cook. Mai bpen rai. To me, Thais are obsessed with food.

I also don't like 99% of Thai/Asian food generally. I hate the smells, the look, color, the spices and all the different bottles of flavored disgusting-smelling sauces that they pour onto it.. And the watery soups with bits of everything under the sun floating around in it.....

I also happen to like my meat LEAN.. and I DO mean LEAN. No gristle, bone, fat, skin, chewy-bits etc. so street food is out. (How Thai's can eat pigs-trotters, chicken legs/feet etc is a mystery to me. )

Btw, while we're here, Carrefour do a nice Roast Chicken.. then they proceed to whack it into small bits with a machete before they give it to you.. so now bits of tiny smashed bone are running thru it...!! When I asked for the chicken WHOLE so I could carve the breast and pull it apart myself they looked at me like I was crazy, and my bf didn't understand the difference (although I swear he eats bone too...!)

So yes, I have his same problem. I love Western Food. AND I HATE to cook. It's boring, I don't enjoy it, and seems pointless to me to do all that preparation for one person.

In USA I go for Frozen Entree's which don't exist here... (I'm SURE there's a market to be had!) and I don't mean those "Asian Microwave instant meals here).. 97% rice and 3% mystery meat.)

I also hate almost all Sea-Food too... (shall I give you my list of things I won't eat...??!)

I have managed to handle Thai Omelete though.. but that's about it.

Then I discovered The Barbican bar and Restaurant in Silom... GREAT western food - and apparently cooked by a Thai Chef!! (See, they CAN do it)

ChrisP

Thank you ChrisP, your post made me laugh big style. I don't know if you realised just how funny it is. Personnally I would love for you to list all the things you don't eat. If I list mine: 'tripe'. Tripe is the only thing I have ever eaten that I did not like. I eat everything and anything.

Thank you ChrisP, your post made me laugh big style. I don't know if you realised just how funny it is. Personnally I would love for you to list all the things you don't eat.  If I list mine: 'tripe'.

Tripe and macaroni cheese :o:D:D

you need to find a girl like my wife. She can cook anything, after seeing it done once. Steak and chips [french fries] to perfection, pancakes, Spaghetti Bolognaise <or carbonara>, irish style stew, club sandwiches, anything.

:D

:o

I agree with you Merlin. My wife can eat something in a resturant and go home and make it better. No recipes everything is done from scratch. I think it's amazing at what she can do in the kitchen. I was hooked after the terriyaki or the honey and garlic pork chops. Not to mention the awesome thai foodthat she makes.

sorry off topic :D

but some of these thai women can really cook.

PKG :D

PB - I realise that you are more of a 'eat to live person' rather than a 'live to eat' one. But, if you are going to head down the DIY route and prepare a couple of meals for yourself per week, then I do suggest getting your hand on one of the Jamie Oliver aka "Naked Chef' (or similar) cookbooks.

Whatever one you do end up getting, make sure that it includes an introductory chapter of 'what to keep in your kitchen', which will be a list of basic ingredients to keep stocked in your kitchen at all times. You'll be amazed how easy cooking becomes when you have a well stocked pantry, and although the intial cost of the outlay might be a bit paeng, it does save you heaps over time.

Ok.. I was asked for things I don't like .. (although it IS off-topic..)

Seafood and Shellfish (ALL except mild-tasting fish - filleted of course!)

Nuts - any - including almonds and coconut.

Bell Peppers - the red and green kind.

Meat that's NOT lean.

Lemongrass

Watery tasteless soup with mystery ingredients.

Most Asian veggies

Anything heavily spicy (but I DO like mexican food..)

There might be more........! :o

ChrisP

PB and CP guys you must learn to cook.

Source stock cubes from a western supplier the asian ones will be more spicy.

Basic dried herbs or grow your own thyme, rosemary, basil. etc

Olive oil and plain old corn oil for frying

plain flour and corn flour

Gravy powders (Bisto)

All the above will add western flavours to your locally grown raw ingredients.

If you can, get an electric food steamer This is a brilliant gadget much better then a microwave oven.

I'm going to jump on the 'learn to cook' bandwagon. You really don't nead to wait until you have a real kitchen either. Back in the US I lived on a 36' sailboat (that's 11 meters to you non-English measurement people) and didn't have a conventional kitchen, although I did have a small three burner propane stove with an oven, a small refrigerated ice box and hot and cold running water. I was able to cook quite a variety of meals in a very limited space.

Here in Thailand, my wife has a couple of shelves for ingredients and pots and pans, a small, portable gas stove, a microwave an electric wok, a chopping block and an electric rice cooker. Like most Thai women, she just sets everything out on the floor and starts cooking there! While we eat Thai food most of the time, every couple of weeks she will cook me a nice western meal - spaghetti, salmon steak with mashed potatos, cheeseburgers, japanese noodles etc... using the same equipment that she uses for her Thai cooking.

Why did noone suggest pancakes yet ?

And I'm not talking about the american sweet syrup dripping ones, but the thin crepes-like ones which still have the size of a pan and not a cookie.

I even got a rec. for the dough you guys:

125g flour

250ml (half pint) of milk

2-3 eggs depending on size

salt

mix up everything and fry it from both sides with olive oil in a pan.

Now you can stuff / roll up these pancakes with whatever you like (eg. cheese / ham / salad / peanutbutter )

Or you stuff them with guacamole (something for the CP (mexican)) or with my favorite:

Feta cheese (diced) with tomatoes (diced) and Thyme (I always add garlic but it should be fine without as well)

Try this and you won't belive you're in Thailand anymore, that far away is the taste from any thaifood

BTW, the above mentioned dough should give you about 5 pancakes (they are cold as delicious as warm on the next day if you can't eat 5 or don't share them with someone).

Try and ENJOY ! :o

I'm going to jump on the 'learn to cook' bandwagon. You really don't nead to wait until you have a real kitchen either. Back in the US I lived on a 36' sailboat (that's 11 meters to you non-English measurement people) and didn't have a conventional kitchen, although I did have a small three burner propane stove with an oven, a small refrigerated ice box and hot and cold running water. I was able to cook quite a variety of meals in a very limited space.

Here in Thailand, my wife has a couple of shelves for ingredients and pots and pans, a small, portable gas stove, a microwave an electric wok, a chopping block and an electric rice cooker. Like most Thai women, she just sets everything out on the floor and starts cooking there! While we eat Thai food most of the time, every couple of weeks she will cook me a nice western meal - spaghetti, salmon steak with mashed potatos, cheeseburgers, japanese noodles etc... using the same equipment that she uses for her Thai cooking.

Thanks, otherstuff. However, I'll bet your sailboat was bigger than my current bungalow, which has no stove, no oven, no rice cooker, and no hot water. In two more weeks, I may have the other stuff that you and your wife now have, and I'll give that other stuff a try.

I think I read all of the above posts and no one suggested German Sausage. I like smoked bratwurst. The German deli meats are very good and cheap. If you have an electric wok just a drop of oil and slice the sausage and sauté it up.

I put my kitchen on the balcony. I have an electric wok cost 800 Bht it has a temp control and ground in indentations (not Teflon) so you can pull the food up when it finished cooking and leave the uncooked food in the center (hot spot).

I live in Chiang Mai and the bread is good here. You can also do a grilled ham and cheese sandwich in the wok. Grill it till the bread is done and finish in the microwave. You can fry potatoes in the wok and sausage and friend potatoes are great.

I also have a slow cooker pot 1000 Bht which has three temp settings, high low and auto. Cut up the meat sauté in the wok and toss in in the slow cooker and add the veggies later for any kind of stew. The slow cooker will also do rice but it takes much longer than a rice cooker.

I seem to entertain a lot (not really my idea but Thai’s can’t seem to eat alone.) Normally I feed 6 people a night for a cost of about 100 Bht.

Pork chops are easy to do and pork tenderloins are easy to work with if you want medallions of pork. When I am having a party I buy a bunch of cheap chicken drumsticks and sauté them in the wok. Since I only have one cooking apparatus, the wok, I use the slow cooker to hold the cooked things while I cook the others things in the wok. Good cheap cheese is a problem but Lotus has it.

I used to have an Italian wife and we had cheese, bread and salami dipped in olive oil or an oil and vinegar dressing almost daily with a salad.

This post just seems to run and run... That said, kerryk above shows how simple it can be to have a reasonable diet with limited tools and a small amount of ingredients. For me, I have a kitchen stocked like a professionals kitchen, loads of knives, pans, interesting gadgets etc. Funny though, I rarely use more than one knife and one pan for everything...

Edited by suegha

Not sure where you are in Thailand PB, but in Pattaya there are many restuarants serving good european food (french, german, belgian) for around 200 baht for a three course meal.

If you're interested I can send details of a few.

Edited by grtaylor