Australian Tourist Visa - Interpretation Of Restriction

Hi all,

My fiance has been granted her 3rd tourist visa to Australia, and I'm wondering what to make of the following slip of paper that was included with her passport when it was returned:

You have been issued a passport for travel to Australia as a TOURIST. Your visa allows you to make MULTIPLE ENTRIES into Australia for a stay of up to THREE MONTHS. The visa is valid for entry for TWELVE MONTHS.

Does this mean she can come for 2.5 months, leave and come back for another 2.5 months again and again within the 12 month period? Or does it mean all her multiple entries can only add up to a total of 3 months?

Cheers.

Hi all,

My fiance has been granted her 3rd tourist visa to Australia, and I'm wondering what to make of the following slip of paper that was included with her passport when it was returned:

You have been issued a passport for travel to Australia as a TOURIST. Your visa allows you to make MULTIPLE ENTRIES into Australia for a stay of up to THREE MONTHS. The visa is valid for entry for TWELVE MONTHS.

Does this mean she can come for 2.5 months, leave and come back for another 2.5 months again and again within the 12 month period? Or does it mean all her multiple entries can only add up to a total of 3 months?

Cheers.

Yep

As it says, multiple visits with a maximum of 3 months per visit.

Regards

Will

She may enter Australia multiple times during the validity of the visa ("not to arrive after" date) and she may remain up to 3 months on each entry, provided she leaves before the "permitted to remain until" date. However, if she has multiple long stays separated by only short periods outside Australia, she can expect that she will be questioned by immigration as to the actual nature of her visit, specifically that she is a genuine tourist and not intending to reside in Australia.

If her visa does not include the "8503 - No further stay" restriction, then she may apply in Australia to extend any entry beyond 3 months. Of course, she will need to provide justification and assure the immigration authorities that her stay is solely for tourism. If her visa does include an 8503 restriction, then she is not permitted to extend except in very limited circumstances.

• Like 1

If her visa does not include the "8503 - No further stay" restriction, then she may apply in Australia to extend any entry beyond 3 months. Of course, she will need to provide justification and assure the immigration authorities that her stay is solely for tourism. If her visa does include an 8503 restriction, then she is not permitted to extend except in very limited circumstances.

12 month ME's generally do not have the 8503 restriction as it allows for further travel by the nature of the visa. 8503 is usually applied to single entry visas. she will not be able to extend the 3 months per stay unless exceptional circumstances such as an injury or such like prevents travel.

She can apply for a more substantive visa with the 12 month ME, I believe.