BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
chanchao

4-5 Hour Train Trip From Chiang Mai..

If only this were to happen.. Via 2Bangkok I found a link to an old (but not that old) map showing a planned railway line from Chiang Mai to Burma..

What a lovely idea!

th=ChiangMai-Burma-Rail.jpg

Cheers,

Chanchao

If only this were to happen..  Via 2Bangkok I found a link to an old (but not that old) map showing a planned railway line from Chiang Mai to Burma..

What a lovely idea!

Cheers,

Chanchao

The plan was put together by the Japanese Government but they ran out of labourers back in 1945.

What a wonderful idea.

I like MaeSariang nice laid back little town.

I did not realise it was so close to the coastline.

It would be really appealing to do a river trip from MaeSariang down to MoulMein.

If ONLY!!!

Don't give up so easily, Pauly.

At this very moment Dr Taksin, our great leader, is building a tunnel from ChiangMai to MaiHongSong.

Just a little further and it's there.

More like mud flats, rather than good beaches, in the vicnity of Moulmein. Setse Beach/Amherst wouldn't be worth the trip, neither the beach nor the sea are very clean/clear. You don't really get good beach along that section of coast till you almost reach Tavoy/Dawei.

Moulmein itself is interesting though. Someday ...

More like mud flats, rather than good beaches, in the vicnity of Moulmein. Setse Beach/Amherst wouldn't be worth the trip, neither the beach nor the sea are very clean/clear. You don't really get good beach along that section of coast till you almost reach Tavoy/Dawei.

Moulmein itself is interesting though. Someday ...

I saw recently a travel brocure showing some great ruins, ala Sukothai, in Burma. They showed several different sites throughout the country. It appeared to be a scenic place to explore. Alas having only crossed the border on a visa runs, I know nothing of interior travel. Can you freely explore, without a hassle or must you run through restrictions and red tape.? :o