Where To Go For Christmas Dinner

just_Elaine

A party of 8 of us went to Le Coq Do'r last year, food was excellent (Xmas dinner) Pricey- but it is Christmas after all. Plus side is they pick you up and take you home -no cahrage- but with wine at 2,500 baht a bottle I can hardly say its "Free transport" can I. Although the wine was excellent.

We thouroughly enjoyed ourselves

I followed another thread where the new queen Victoria near Chuang Puak gate was suggested, but too many people were arguing with each other to reply to me. Has anyone been to this pub. They've emailed me their menu, but has nayone been there yet? Whats it like?

I have tried many different restaurants over the years and the best quality Christmas and other holiday dinners are at Bake and Bite near Thapae Gate and in the Night Bazaar.

They are run by a nice Thai woman named Guy who also speaks English like a native speaker, so no mix-ups.

They have Turkeys, Roasts, roast potatoes, stuffing, etc. available, plus lots of pies and holiday deserts and they deliver.

Also, they have a variety of complete Xmas dinners available at their Night Bazaar branch for about 300 baht.

Most places I try they give it a try, but the holiday food is just not quite right, but at Bake and Bite it actually tastes like someone's mom made it! :o

I have tried many different restaurants over the years and the best quality Christmas and other holiday dinners are at Bake and Bite near Thapae Gate and in the Night Bazaar.

They are run by a nice Thai woman named Guy who also speaks English like a native speaker, so no mix-ups.

They have Turkeys, Roasts, roast potatoes, stuffing, etc. available, plus lots of pies and holiday deserts and they deliver.

Also, they have a variety of complete Xmas dinners available at their Night Bazaar branch for about 300 baht.

Most places I try they give it a try, but the holiday food is just not quite right, but at Bake and Bite it actually tastes like someone's mom made it!  :o

Those roasted potatoes caught my attention smiley2.gif

I called them, and yes, they do deliver... Turkey is 290 baht per kilo (baked) 8-10 kilos

They need a 3-day warning.. I will be using them :D 01-882-9545

Edited by Ajarn

Was going to suggest Mike's Burgers, but then realized that my parents are in town for Christmas. :o

Anyway, they (and I) LOVE "The House" along Moon Muang Road, close to Sri Phoom corner. It's magnificent, very creative dishes Western and Western-fusion dishes and a more pleasant, homey yet stylish feel to it. (That's where the Coq d'Or loses points in my book.. kind of forced uppety overly formal vibe to the place.) The House is stylish AND friendly. Similar prices though, most main courses are around 500 baht I suppose. But for Christmas, chances are that it's already fully booked.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/2005/dec...der_th_tall.php

Cheers,

Chanchao

I followed another thread where the new queen Victoria near Chuang Puak gate was suggested, but too many people were arguing with each other to reply to me. Has anyone been to this pub. They've emailed me their menu, but has nayone been there yet? Whats it like?

I sent my parents there for dinner there last night after they found out that their original choice was closed for the holiday. They loved it. Said it was good atmosphere, fantastic food and huge portions, great service.... they'll definitely go back.

I enjoyed dinner at Le Crystal on evening during Loy Kathong. As with LeCoq., it too is expensive. However if you want something special, and want a change of scenery from "The House",(where I also enjoy going), then it is worth the trip out.

They do a decent lunch time set menu as well.

Most places I try they give it a try, but the holiday food is just not quite right, but at Bake and Bite it actually tastes like someone's mom made it!  :o

I called them, and yes, they do deliver... Turkey is 290 baht per kilo (baked) 8-10 kilos

You sound well again Ajarn. All the very best for the Season. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the new Rimping where they must have had 10+ Turkeys cooked and ready to go and they had individual meals from 150-500 baht Just bought 2 and had a fantastic meal

What a great deal!!!

Merry Christmas to All

P.S. What happened to Mango tree?

If you still want to eat at home, Rimping normally offers a turkey cooking service.

Otherwise, try the hotels.

Just wanted to report back about Bake 'n Bite's turkey and all the fixings (roasted and mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, vegies)

It was great! Everything arrived on time, and everything was delicious! smileani.gif

01-882-9545

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn, you think if I call them 2 morrow I got a chance, or an'nt it woth bothering now?

Happy Christmas

TP

Ajarn, you think if I call them 2 morrow I got a chance, or an'nt it woth bothering now?

Happy Christmas

TP

Got a chance to get it tommorow? Probably not unless you call tonight... :D

Ajarn, you think if I call them 2 morrow  I got a chance, or an'nt it woth bothering now?

Happy Christmas

TP

I just called Guy at 10 am Christmas Morning.

She says that they have plenty of turkey, lamb and that the roast pork is excellent.

The phone number at Bake and Bite is 053 820 761.

Enjoy! :D

A great run of Christmas luck eh Ulysses ? :o

As it happened I went to The Duke on Christmas Eve and to The House on Christmas Day !!! Amazed to hear that The House still wasn't fully booked.. Chatted with the owner who said that ChianG mai people just don't tend to plan too far ahead.. :o In the end he was fully booked, but last bookings came on Christmas Day itself!

Anyway, I had great food at The Duke's, though for sure some dishes are a lot better than others. First time I went I recalled having a very good burger, but the Mrs was disappointed that the 300 baht shrimp-something only had 3 shrimps in it, and was really too small a dish for the money.

This time I went for the Christmas Eve special (Turkey) which was terrific.. I'm not from an Anglo-country so I didn't have it often in my life (once or twice at home with friedns in the USA on Thanksgiving, then once on Christmas in London) but with that limited experience in mind I have to say this was the best ever. Not dry and with nice stuffing, sweet sauce (cranberry?) and mashed potato & sweet potato as a side.. And a big portion too, my mum couldn't finish it. (And I think my dog loves me again :D A steal really at 330 baht. The Mrs ordered a sea fish dish which was also excellent and she was very happy with. BUT then a friend ordered a Lasanga dish which was.. kind of dull. Tomato saucy, not terribly exciting. So I will definitely go back to The Duke's but it helps if you know what (not) to order. :D

Then The House did 2 set Christmas menu's, a big one including turkey for like 1400 baht and an 'alternative' one that all of us went for, having already had turkey the day before. Very nice 4 course meal + coffee for 970 baht (+10% service charge). Great food, wonderful stylish but homey atmosphere.. Reasonable price really, if you order starter + 'in-between-dish + main + dessert off their usual menu then you spend pretty much the same if not more.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao