'real' Bread In The Provinces

Had a friend back home that used to do it but maybe you wouldn't call it "do it yourself" in that it used a fully automatic breadmaker.  Would love to get my hands on one here.

Just put the mix in, it mixes, needs, and bakes it automatically.

post-566-1134043437.jpg

I bought one here, it was in either Robinsons or Central I forget which. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

You can get good whole meal and dark rye flour easily in Bangkok.

Nothing like fresh baked bread!

Do you know how to get the bread a little more light, in which I mean more 'air' in

IMHO bread will be light or not ..depends on

1- recipe

2 -yeast - fresh or not?

3-yeast 's food - sugar

4- time /temp/humidity - that you wait till yeast produce CO2 and make dough get increase the size

Wow Bambina,I'm impressed with your technical knowledge of bread baking.

Bangkokbaker :o

I can get decent baked bread here but I really miss a good bagel. (I ate six on a two-day trip to the U.S.A. last week!)

If you make bread, you can make bagels - the only difference is, after punching down the first time the dough has risen, have a pot of boiling water ready, divide the dough into balls, make a ring for each ball and drop them in the boiling water, turning them over for the dough to rise on both sides, fish them out onto a cooling rack. Brush with egg white and bake at 425 degree F for 15 to 20 minutes.

I used the Joy of Cooking recipe a number of years ago and it worked just fine...

Do you know how to get the bread a little more light, in which I mean more 'air' in

1- recipe

2 -yeast - fresh or not?

3-yeast 's food - sugar

4- time /temp/humidity - that you wait till yeast produce CO2 and make dough get increase the size

Wow Bambina,I'm impressed with your technical knowledge of bread baking.

Bangkokbaker :o

im not a good baker.. i can do some.. but i stand on the base of micro-biology of yeast :D:D

1- recipe

2 -yeast - fresh or not?

3-yeast 's food - sugar

Bambi

You never stop surprizing me with all your knowledge

I was still wanting to ask you ; Can you cook too???

Well no need for that anymore

I tried all the recipies and ingredients but the bread is still not light enough inside for my taste. My french bread is outstanding by the way

Jumbo

I tried all the recipies and ingredients but the bread is still not light enough inside for my taste. My french bread is outstanding by the way

If you want a light bread,you need to increase the volume of you bread,this can only be done by adding bread improvers,available in all supermarkets around Thailand. If you want to have more information regarding details on the bread improvers just send me a private mail.

Bangkokbaker

• 5 weeks later...

If you want a light bread,you need to increase the volume of you bread,this can only be done by adding bread improvers,available in all supermarkets around Thailand. If you want to have more information regarding details on the bread improvers just send me a private mail.

Bangkokbaker

i would add that improvers are not the only way forward, although i have absolutely nothing against them. you basically need to increase the air incorporation in your dough mix- or in plain words- get more and bigger bubbles in there.That can be done with longer -preferably controlled- time as well as energy input in your mixing

Why not try to use your rice cooker to make steamed bread. Every one has one of these in Thailand dont they? Otherwise go and buy one, less than 1000thb.

First make your dough (common dough, read previous posts) , I use a mix of baking wheat flour available from "Lotus/Carrefour/Big C/Villa/Foodland", to make it a little tastier I add oat meals, also available from above stores.

While your dough is rising put the rice cooker on and have about 2-3 cm of water in it, pre warm the water.

Have a deep bowl ready that fits inside the rice cooker (not plastic). try to use a wide bottom bowl.

Grease the bowl and put in a pice of dough. You might have to experiment on how big piece you can put inside.

In with the bowl in the cooker, turn on the cooker to boiling.

Wait about 10-20 min, check the bread, try by pressing your finger in to the dough, again this is something you have to experiment with to get the right timing with your dough.

If not then steam cook it a littkle longer.

Voila and you have some ready bread. It is white in colour but tastes good, to get a crust put a slice in your toaster.

I usually slice the bread into slices that fit into my toaster and put it in the freezer. So I can take out a slice for my breakfast or when I want.

Hopefully I will not need to bake in the future. I just made my first order from Bread Republic, they promised me that they will deliver now on saturday to me. Their service is to deliver par baked bread here in Bkk.

I let you know if it is good or not.

// Trickster_Bkk

Edited by trickster_bk

Hi all.

First of all, I forgot to mention that usinga big electric wok, with a steamer top, gives you a chance to make many small bread rolls at the same time, also gives you a chance to make larger&wider breads than in a rice cooker.

With the electric wok you have better control of the boiling of water as well.

I got my bread delivered yesterday, packaging looked ok, nothing fancy in my opinion.

I had ordered some loafs of rye bread and a pic n mix of their crossaints and bagels.

Unfortunately my freezebox got totally cramped to fit all this bread, they had a minum ordering of 400thb, if they don't lower the minimum ordering I might need to think about buying an extra freezer if I am continuing to order.

I have a small electric owen, so I put in a loaf of rye to baked it according to the reccomended time they gave me. I have to point out that I needed to add aabout 2 minutes for the rye bread to become totally good. I tried a slice of the newly baked rye bread and it really smelled and tasted goodm, I had some fresh Paris ham on top from carrefour that made me a good snack.

The bread was a almost a hit on the dinner table, I have my mother visiting from Europe and she said it was not too bad, but that she could do better. But it was a little better than the rye bread I usually buy from carrefour.

Today I had some ciabatta and croissants for breakfast, after a failed first attempt of burning my croissant I got the next one to be very good, they are delicious when they are freshly baked, I could not had them delivered fast enough to be that fresh. But need to be a little carefull with the baking times, maybe my owen is a little too hot.

Alltogether a nice experience not to need tha hassle of making the dough and wait for it to raise, clean the bowls and so, jut take it out from the freezebox and put in the owen.

So I will probably make a new test of the other breads in a week or three.

I got a flyer from where I ordered and called last week, they also have a website called bread republic.

But I hope that they will lower their minimum order since it really stuffs my freezer when ordering.

// Trisha

Edited by trickster_bk