Smog Threats In Chiang Mai Province

webfact

Smog Threats in Chiang Mai Province

CHIANG MAI: -- After smoke from fires has lingered over Chiang Mai and its surrounding area, the province is now reeling under high pollution levels, which could have a negative effect on the residents’ health.

Chiang Mai Province has been covered with smog throughout the day. The Suthep Mountain, which normally can be observed from all over Chiang Mai, is not visible due to thick smog.

The province has been reeling under smog for a week now. Furthermore, the air-quality monitoring station at Chiang Mai's city hall has reported that the Arctic oscillation index or AOI value is now at 109, though the average value should not go above 100.

Meanwhile, the PM10 level, which indicates the density of very minute dust particles in the air, has measured at 98.95 micrograms per cubic meter.

According to the Pollution Control Department, it AOI values between 101-200 can cause harm to people’s health. For this reason, officials have warned residents with respiratory problems to avoid outdoor exercise, and for all residents, especially children and the elderly, to avoid prolonged outdoor activities.

The Director of the Chiang Mai Natural Resources and Environment Office, Banpod Kanthasen, said the overall situation is average, but each related unit must work hard and continue to monitor the situation.

Banpod said there have been 120 reports of fires from January 1 to February 14, as 716 rais of farmland have been affected. Fires have occurred most in Hod, Koi, and Doi Tao districts. Officials are now keeping a close watch on these areas.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-16

footer_n.gif

Didn't notice, but looking out my window now I can see trees in the distance misted out that are usually clear. Every year they say they will clamp down on crop burning and every year it still happens (unless the rains kills it like last year) - about time they started confiscating land, that would stop it pretty darned quick!

I've got a splitting headache this morning, not sure if it's related but it's the worst visibility I've seen in Chiang Mai in about 3 years, and I find it hard to believe the PM10 is only 98. Perhaps there is spring haze mixed in there, but it's definitely not pleasant today and it's only Feb. We all thought it wouldn't be a problem this year because so many of the rice fields have a winter crop this season.

Maybe the funding is going to capture pangolin and tiger meat traders, who knows......

As for the map, it is pretty clear to me what is going on.

The gov'ts of Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia apparently do nothing to enforce laws against burning of forest undergrowth.

Remember the big hoo-haw a year or so ago, when Singapore's Changi International Airport had to close down, due to fires in northern Sumatra?

The Singapore gov't had high level consultations with the Indonesian gov't...and the burning stopped. No fires in Sumatra I can see; maybe cloud cover is blocking the view.

Look at the map closely- do you see any forest fires in Vietnam? You can almost delineate the Vietnam border with neighboring countries, by the lack of fires on this map.

It is just laziness, ignorance, greed, combined with bad governance, IMHO.