New Korean Restaurant

Jayman

Guess it goes to you

the award for useless post of the day goes to...

Guess it goes to you.

I'm sure that those that want to try a new Korean restaurant will find this topic useful. If you don't like korean food, then move on to another thread.

Edited by Jayman

Guess it goes to you

Guess it goes to you.

I'm sure that those that want to try a new Korean restaurant will find this topic useful. If you don't like korean food, then move on to another thread.

You would think that someone with 427 posts under their belt could tell the difference between an OP with meaningful content and one that just takes up space on the home screen. Why else do you think that nobody replied to this post for 24 hours (I was dying to post a reply earlier but I was on an over-stay posting holiday)

Edited by jehricaholic

Guess it goes to you

Guess it goes to you.

You would think that someone with 427 posts under their belt could tell the difference between an OP with meaningful content and one that just takes up space on the home screen. Why else do you think that nobody replied to this post for 24 hours (I was dying to post a reply earlier but I was on an over-stay posting holiday)

N

Not sure what content you'd like to see added for it to pass your standard test of worthwhile topics. I posted the name, the location, the food type. It's a new spot and I haven't been there and I bet most other members haven't been there either. It's not a big surprise to me that it didn't receive any posts since we are not talking about bar girls or complaining about Thailand. If you don't like it, don't read it or look away. Maybe you should consider a larger screen to handle all the topics.

Guess it goes to you

Guess it goes to you.

N

Not sure what content you'd like to see added for it to pass your standard test of worthwhile topics. I posted the name, the location, the food type. It's a new spot and I haven't been there and I bet most other members haven't been there either. It's not a big surprise to me that it didn't receive any posts since we are not talking about bar girls or complaining about Thailand. If you don't like it, don't read it or look away. Maybe you should consider a larger screen to handle all the topics.

he should have just replied to your OP, he bothered to take a photo, upload it, and then posts 4 nouns hinting at an overly vague adress

he should have just replied to your OP, he bothered to take a photo, upload it, and then posts 4 nouns hinting at an overly vague adress

I honestly searched for JT's korean thread but couldn't find it. In any case, thanks for bumping my thread some many times. It might have gotten lost at the bottom without your help.

Hardly overly vague considering there is only 1 Nomchai in Pattaya and it's in their parking lot. Shall I provide you a map?

I also posted it all from my phone using the mobile app and guess what, my phone has a camera built in. Ain't this high tech world we live in grand.

Edited by Jayman

The new place I posted about is a different new place. Anyway, one concern I have about Korean places in town is that SOME of them are bus tour only places. I have been turned away from some places, at one place rudely shouted at to leave. A place on Sukhumwit MIGHT be such a place. Of course some place that host bus tours also take walk in business except if they are full up from the bus.

I honestly searched for JT's korean thread but couldn't find it. In any case, thanks for bumping my thread some many times. It might have gotten lost at the bottom without your help.

Hardly overly vague considering there is only 1 Nomchai in Pattaya and it's in their parking lot. Shall I provide you a map?

I also posted it all from my phone using the mobile app and guess what, my phone has a camera built in. Ain't this high tech world we live in grand.

I don't mind bumping the thread, but I think if I started a poll asking members to provide an approximate Pattaya location using the words Nomchai and Lotus, they'd not have a clue if given a choice of locations.

I don't mind bumping the thread, but I think if I started a poll asking members to provide an approximate Pattaya location using the words Nomchai and Lotus, they'd not have a clue if given a choice of locations.

Listen.. if you don't know where it is then don't be afraid to ask. I'll tell you in detail. If you are on the Sukumvit heading south from North Pattaya then it will be on the left hand side just after you pass the red traffic light at Soi Siam Country Club which is just before Soi Nernplubwan. If you have hit Pattaya Tai (Central Pattaya) then you have gone too far.

You won't see the Korean restaurant sign from the road but you will see the Numchai and Lotus signs (as to why I mentioned them) and once you turn left into that complex you will see the white sign I posted in the picture that will designate the restaurant in the left hand side of the parking lot.

Edited by Jayman

If it's the same owners as the Yu Rak in Map Tha Phut it should be good, I love their dubboo kimchi.

But then again it could just be a generic Korean restaurant name?

I'm impressed you know about Yu Rak in Map Tha Phu. coffee1.gif How many can say that?

its almost as difficult as peter piper picked a pickled pepper.......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK! I tried this place, or at least I think I tried it.

In front of the sign is no restaurant. Rather there is a nightclub called Apocalypse. (Oh joy.)

Anyway, the sign is on the left side of the strip mall. There is a Korean restaurant on the right side of the strip mall. There is no English sign saying what the name of it is, other than Korean restaurant.

Anyway, I tried it.

They offer an electronic picture menu (very clear), reasonable prices, and an excellent variety of choices.

While there is a regular restaurant space they don't seem to want to use it. Instead you are told to sit in one of the enclosed Japanese style rooms where you take off your shoes and you sit on the floor but they have a space under for your legs (Oh joy.). There is a BBQ setup there if you need it. I reckon it's to save having to use the aircon on the larger spaces.

Anyway, so far I must say the food is ... EXCELLENT!

Just had the spicy seafood soup (Champong) with noodles served with banchan (six choices). Just 220 baht, free water offered.

Why was it so good? Two reasons.

With the banchan they included a generous portion of savory pancakes. I cannot tell what they were made of exactly, but this banchan item was probably my favorite Korean banchan item I have ever had. I have no idea if they always offer that. I hope so.

Also, the soup broth was fantastic. This was because it was made with lost of shrimp heads in the style of Singaporean prawn mee. I could tell because of both the flavor and the charming appearance of a number of shrimp heads in the broth. Even though I ordered the soup super spicy the shrimp overload came through. I don't know if this is a traditional way to make Champong (first time I experienced such a shrimp flavor dominated version) but I thought it was fantastic that way.

Frankly, I do NOT like STYLE of this restaurant at all. Many of you will like it. But the food, if it is all as good as the limited amount I had, you are in for some of the best Korean food in town.

Edited by Jingthing

Dog meat is a rarity even in South Korea( the dish is known as BoShinTang)

Many Koreans would be aghast at eating it. It's considered a "stamina" food.

Perhaps, but it is legal there. There are dedicated dogs as livestock farms (those dogs are never treated as pets) and specialty restaurants for it. My understanding is that the Korean chefs know how to make it quite delicious. No, I don't want it, but I think a lot of the moral outrage is somewhat overblown.

I walked into the restaurant and looked at the iPad menue which looked good and reasonable prices but I was alone and never ate there. I do not like the style of the place as it is very borring. They didn't even have a menue outside at the entrance.

If they want to do good business they will need to spice it up a little I think (decoration and outside wise).

The girl staff I talked to seemed very pleasant too.

I walked into the restaurant and looked at the iPad menue which looked good and reasonable prices but I was alone and never ate there. I do not like the style of the place as it is very borring. They didn't even have a menue outside at the entrance.

If they want to do good business they will need to spice it up a little I think (decoration and outside wise).

I must say I agree. They could probably get more business with a more welcoming setup. Certainly a menu outside. As it is, you have to walk up some stairs to get to the entrance. On the other hand, maybe they have an advertising program for the market they are going for (more hiso). You certainly can spend lots in a party if you go for a big BBQ feast and drinking. I also noticed some hints (other than the room style) that they were going for the Japanese market. I didn't get the feeling they take in bus tours but you never know, maybe they do. In any case, if you want to get to their very good food, you have to get past the format they serve it in (which again, I really hate).

BTW, does anyone here really know if the restaurant I ate at is actually the same restaurant referred to in the sign, YURAK Korean restaurant? Its weird that I didn't notice any Yurak name branding on anything at the actual restaurant which was quite far away from the actual sign. If so, strange marketing! (I forgot to ask them myself.)

Edited by Jingthing

OK, check this out.

This sites indicates they are talking about Yurak and yes the pictures show the inside of the place I was at, including a menu picture and some food. Note those wonderful PANCAKES are pictured so that's a good clue they might be a signature dish of the place (always included in banchan).

https://foursquare.c...7c8e88f472e006c

Another good thing to say about that place. There are some Korean restaurants that don't serve a full set of banchan if you just order a dish like spicy noodle soup. Instead, they may give you a small plate of raw onions with dipping sauce and one basic cabbage kimchi and/or a Japanese style yellow pickle. This place served the WORKS with the soup (including the traditional raw onions and yellow pickle). Bravo.

BTW, if someone goes there inspired by this rave, can you ask what those pancakes are made of (other than the usual expected batter stuff)?

Edited by Jingthing

I must say I agree. They could probably get more business with a more welcoming setup. Certainly a menu outside. As it is, you have to walk up some stairs to get to the entrance. On the other hand, maybe they have an advertising program for the market they are going for (more hiso). You certainly can spend lots in a party if you go for a big BBQ feast and drinking. I also noticed some hints (other than the room style) that they were going for the Japanese market. I didn't get the feeling they take in bus tours but you never know, maybe they do. In any case, if you want to get to their very good food, you have to get past the format they serve it in (which again, I really hate).

I live quite close and often pop into Lotus and to be honest I have never seen any sign of a bus tour or for that matter anyone else parked outside of the restaurant. They open at 5:00 and that is often about the time I go to lotus and I just happened to look over at the place for the past 4 weeks and just don't see it taking off. I also doubt that they have a hiso crowd that would visit often enough to keep them in business to much longer but you never know what goes on. For me, I wouldn't have even known there was a restaurant there if it wasn't for the post n this forum and I always glance at that plaza to see if anything is happening. Its almost invisable to be frank.

Those pancakes are called 'chon' and are made of wheat mixed with different ingredients which could be beef, pork, kimchi.

Your description of the restaurant is exactly the same as the Yu Rak in Map Ta Phut so I guess it's a generic style with that name and not the same ownership as the business logos are not the same.

Edited by PattayaParent