Non-o For Spouse And Children

I will be entering Thailand on a non-B multiple-entry visa good for one year. My understanding is that I will need to make a visa run each 90 days and then get a new visa each year.

My spouse and children have been granted non-O single entry visas good for 90 days -- my question is what do they need to do once we arrive in Thailand? Can their non-O visas be extended to 1-year multiple entry once inside Thailand and will they still need to do visa runs with me? Once they expire, same procedure as mine?

Thanks for any help in advance!

welcome to LOS and the visa runs, I think your visa run depend on your salary, as soon as i started work i never did a visa run in 5 years, i had a Thai wife though so I had a non O not a non B visa, I think for your wife and sprogs on non o's can stay a year at a time and renew without a visa run, but it depends on your salary

You have not provided enough information to really answer as if you are going to have a job that pays the required income per month for your nationality you should be extending your stay on a yearly basis and your dependents could do the same, on the basis of your extension of stay.

If you are here in some other capacity and do not have legal status your wife will most likely have to obtain tourist visa or even make 30 day border runs for new entry stamps. The child, if young, is not a real problem once inside the country as there is no penalty for overstay of children.

I will be entering Thailand on a non-B multiple-entry visa good for one year.  My understanding is that I will need to make a visa run each 90 days and then get a new visa each year.

My spouse and children have been granted non-O single entry visas good for 90 days -- my question is what do they need to do once we arrive in Thailand?  Can their non-O visas be extended to 1-year multiple entry once inside Thailand and will they still need to do visa runs with me?  Once they expire, same procedure as mine?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Provided that your employer gets you a work permit, and a one year extension of stay, your spouse and family can extend their stay by the same period as you get from Immigration.

I had a 3 month Non-O extended to one year and Multi entry, its easy if your company does it, particularly at the One Stop Service.

I would think it would be also possible to get a 1 year entry extension by showing the 400k Baht in the bank, and filling out the necessary forms. After an "under Consideration" on two, and the police come to your house to make sure you are actually married, you will get the extension, from the first date you entered the country.

Some things to consider if you do this

1. When under consideration, do not leave the country, unless you have a re-entry permit.

2. When immigration tell you to some back, do so, exactly on that day.

If his wife and child require a visa they are most likely not Thai so he would not be eligible for the "support Thai wife" extension of stay for 400k. But then again he did not provide enough information to be sure; for sure.

Thanks for the replies, please allow me to further clarify our situation. We are Canadian citizens and I will be coming into Thailand on a non-B multiple entry to do some consulting work for a company outside of Thailand, for possible investment purposes. I'm not sure the "required income per month" would really apply in this case simply because as I said above I'm being paid from a company outside of Thailand?

My non-B is good for a year so I believe all I need to do is exit/re-enter every 90 days, at least that's what the consulate told me. My main question is with my spouse and children (all under the age of 6). They were issued non-O, single entry visas good for 90 days. The consulate told me the procedure once we're in Thailand is to simply go to the local immigration office when their non-O visas are close to their 90-day expiry and we can get them extended no problem, likely to a multiple-entry 1-year non-O --- is this correct?

And if this is correct, do they need to make visa runs like I do? Thanks for your feedback.

The Consulate told you that visa runs were required but said your wife and child could obtain an extension of stay? I would ask them how that can be possible. If you do not qualify how could they? I don't believe it although I admit I am no expert. AFAIK they will have to obtain and make visa runs, although as I said above the child will not be subject to overstay fine so could remain until you leave without a major problem. And what is the school situation?

There are alternatives such as setting up a company and such that you might want to consider to be legal and able to obtain required visas. You can read this forum for more information or contact one of the sponsors for details as no pie cutter fits all.

will the kids be attending school? If so, I'm thinking that you could get a non-immigrant 'ED' visa for them at least, which can be easily extended once they are all signed up at a school. That means that at least the kiddies won't have to do visa runs.

Having said that, I beleive there is no overstay penalties for young children anyway.

will the kids be attending school? If so, I'm thinking that you could get a non-immigrant 'ED' visa for them at least, which can be easily extended once they are all signed up at a school. That means that at least the kiddies won't have to do visa runs.

Having said that, I beleive there is no overstay penalties for young children anyway.

that is only up to 7 years I think

The consulate told me the procedure once we're in Thailand is to simply go to the local immigration office when their non-O visas are close to their 90-day expiry and we can get them extended no problem, likely to a multiple-entry 1-year non-O --- is this correct?
No

Solutions

1. If the kids will be attending school. Your wife( only one parent allowed to get this type of visa)will obtain a extension based on "a parent to support a child who is studying"

2. Form a Thai company with you being a business consultant. You obtain a work permit, employ one Thai employee, get 60K Baht monthly paid to you in Thailand. You now can apply for the extension of stay based on business. Your whole family gets their extension of stay as dependents. No one then needs to travel.

3. Buy a condo worth 3 million from a development company,or put 3 million in a fix deposit or Government bonds. Your whole family would get dependent visas.

that is only up to 7 years I think

Dr. it is 17 years old.

Still his wife unless he does one of the three solutions will not be a happy camper. Visa runs with young kids are a nightmare( even if it was every 3 months.)

It is very hard to change a current valid 90 day single entry to a one year multi entry visa. Even if he watches the kids while the wife does a visa run every 90 days, the odds of getting this visa changed from that Consulate or another Consulate/Embassy, at this point in time, are remote.

www.lawyer.th.com

• 2 weeks later...

Sunbelt - do you have an office in Phuket? If so, I might just stop in and see you when we get there so I can go through our options with you at that time.

I likely have the ability to get my wife a non-B multiple entry visa as well before we get to Thailand - so we would both have them upon entry and our kids would have the non-O single entry visas. Would that be preferable to the non-O my wife has been issued already?

Sunbelt,

One more question regarding option #1 you mention above:

==========

1. If the kids will be attending school. Your wife( only one parent allowed to get this type of visa)will obtain a extension based on "a parent to support a child who is studying"

==========

Just so I'm clear, once we arrive in Thailand and the kids are in school my wife would go to the immigration office to apply for this extension? Is it good for one year then?

So we would BOTH still need to make visa runs each 90 days under this scenario? What about the kids as they were all issued non-O single entry visas good for 90-days - do they get an extension as well and do they need to do visa runs as well?

Sorry for the barrage of questions - just trying to get this all straight - thanks!

I am Australian on retirement visa with Thai spouse. We have a 12 year old boy(Australian) who will be leaving the country in Feb 2006, does overstay penalty apply to him? I understood that overstay does not apply to under 14 children and have not done visa extension for him. Is this correct or am I in for a shock when he leaves??

:D:o:D:D